Turn on thread page Beta

WHAT the hell is this? University is ridiculous ! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy-Bentham)
    What do you know about university and degrees? You did a bsc in TV Production and got a 2:1. I'll get a 1st in all 3 of my years easy.

What happened to you in Food Tech only a C?
    No need to be personal, OP!
    I'm sure that person loses sleep over that C in food tech :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have past papers and generally, here's a clue - the exams are on the syllabus!

That means that when I go into my British Political Systems exam, I can be sure I won't get asked a question about Mount Everest, I know I'll be asked stuff about the Constitution, electoral reform, devolution etc... genius eh!?

Also at my uni alot of references are online and the ones that aren't are normally in the library.

ReputationRep:
    oh my god im not going uni then lmao i'll fail, its bad enough now at 6th form

ReputationRep:
    all these "university is about being independent!" and "past papers are for secondary school/a-levels!" people piss me off. try understanding something like maths or physics without doing any example questions and then come back and post. i'm at uni and i can access past papers up to 2000 with all the solutions; i also get the solutions for every tutorial sheet i've done throughout the year (for revision purposes) at the last term. doing these questions then looking at the solution is honestly how i learn about 80% of what i' supposed to. ah well, oxford aren't doing it right i guess.

ReputationRep:
    I'm independent but then if I'm independent sometimes I wonder why I even go to lectures. All they do is read over the notes on a shallow level meaning I have to go over it and do proper reading.
    Welcome to the real world, sunshine.

I don't understand why people are so outraged, this is normal expectations for uni. It's called using your initiative and stop expecting to be spoonfed.
    They don't go photocopying textbook pages and doling them out for you with practice questions like they did for A Level, I thought that was a given!
    I'm given a brief overview of a certain topic every lecture, and it's up to me to go to the library and do all the extra reading to correspond. Why do you think the library even exists? And past papers aren't really helpful since the syllabus changes every two or so years anyway.

Although, your tutor should help you with any queries (as long as you've endeavoured to research outside the lecture notes rather than ask them what books to read, of course) that's not on.

ReputationRep:
    I go to Staffordshire University and its like this, but I don't think its really that unreasonable. My faculty doesn't do exams, just essays, but they won't read any essay drafts - they'll only hear your ideas and either give a nod of approval or tell you to re-work it. And we're not given access to past papers either, as that could lead to plagarism in faculties that repeat similiar subject matter. Its just how things have to be done to produce independent workers.

I do symathizes with your annoyance about resources though. The Media students here get a freaking recording studio - and what do I get? Ratty 20-year-old library books I have to share with the 70 other people on my module, some of which still have Staffordshire Polytechnic printed in the front! WTF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Oh dear.

OP, you're at university. At university, you won't be spoonfed. It's not about memorising what you need to for the exams, it's about learning a huge amount to last a lifetime.

YOU need to do the learning. THEY aren't going to do everything for you.
    I've been told by countless graduates that 3/4 of the stuff you learn is not relevant after your degree. The 1/4 is only slightly relevant and impractical in the working world.

It's lead me to believe that university isn't learning knowledge that lasts for a life time as you have said, but just a way to measure your memory capacity and the result of your degree proves it.

Employers see a 1st grad student and think they have the ability to learn quickly or effectively and know how to apply the knowledge. Someone with a 3rd has poor memory capacity or doesn't know how to use the knowledge properly.

Either way OP, cpj1987 is right in saying there is no spoon-feeding. You have to do most things yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. All these "stop asking to be spoonfed" replies are frigging annoying. Wanting to know the structure of a paper is not being spoonfed. I wouldn't want to go into an exam not knowing if I was being asked multiple choice questions or an essay or something. Geez, what harm would it do to just say - "Oh it's multiple choice" they've not suddenly been spoonfed and given the answers!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm independent but then if I'm independent sometimes I wonder why I even go to lectures. All they do is read over the notes on a shallow level meaning I have to go over it and do proper reading.

Then I've done the reading and done this and that and they screw me on the exams.

Also anyone applying to university - remember that people are brainwashed by the city and the friends they made and the night life. The courses well I bet many of them don't live up to scratch. I'm trapped now. Can't drop out. It's all over.
    I feel the same here, often I don't go to the lectures because every single time I have gone, they don't tell me anything different thats infront of me. Instead I get the notes offline, work through them myself, and in my case, find relevant cases to the situation. I feel like I'm doing more work than people who just turn up to the lecture, dont pay attention, and do no work afterwards, and yet some of the marks get given to them for purely just turning up. Makes no sense whatsoever. I also agree with the lecturers.. we recently got a email from a lecturer like don't bother coming to my office, for the next 2 weeks, I'm busy, do not try email me, I won't reply. WHATS THE POINT

ReputationRep:
    No past papers
    No past paper database
    No idea what the questions will be on
    I do everything myself, the learning finding the resources getting the books etc..
    Oh and don't ask a lecturer anything about the exam. They won't help you? :confused:
    Put up with the cockiness and don't ask a lecturer a question

Why am I paying over 3 thousand pounds for this? This is absolutely stupid. Surely we're past this gcse, a-level lets trick you in the exam and make you fail crap.

Going to lectures and seminars and doing essays and actively discussing theories not good enough for them?

I am completely mind dead at why they university would not help you with the exam. Why do they want me to fail?

Surely there is someone that can help you at your uni.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard quite contrasting reviews from friends that go to both prestigious high ranked universities and middle range universities.

I've found that those at the prestigious universities believe the quality of the lectures and the facilities available are really top notch, but the individual support isn't as great and they get the impression that the uni lives off its reputation giving off a "we're one of the best country, like it the way it is or you can leave" .

In contrast, those that don't go to the not so highly ranked universities say that they get an incredible amount of individual support for all aspects of uni life and that they're given a lot of help to get better marks.

This is ofcourse just generalising, but it is a common trend I've personally noticed. I guess you can't have it all, I'd still pick better education quality and less support over average education quality and great support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashy19)
    MIT allow students to bring in a sheet of paper with notes on, they set challenging questions, rather memory questions based on information that would be available to you in the outside world. I don't know why University staff would refuse to help a student learn.
    I've had exams where we were allowed to bring in a single sheet of A4. I've never written so small in my life.

It's not a case of refusing to help student's learn; its a case of not helping them take shortcuts - because at the end of the day, they will lose out, and the university's reputation will suffer.

ReputationRep:
    No, I am talking about HOW the paper is marked. How is it marked? How do they grade it? Individual point marks or do they read all of it and give it a mark. And who makrs the paper. How does that require me "to know what they are looking for".

Why do I expect to be told what to do to get the grades? I worked that out myself.

What do you know about university and degrees? You did a bsc in TV Production and got a 2:1. I'll get a 1st in all 3 of my years easy. For some reason you assumed I wanted to be spoon fed and made false presuppossitions just like I've done with your 2:1 in film production. (Which is of course beside the point).

And you've just taken the thread elsewhere.

Do you like making people feel down when they're already ******* down?

What happened to you in Food Tech only a C?
    Why are you whingeing then?

ReputationRep:
    We get past papers and some useful revision sessions to attend, plus all the lists of reading materials and websites you may need - what else do you need except your own brain? University is an independent venture and everyone already knows it's too expensive. The expense is just what we all have to put up with.

ReputationRep:
    No past papers
    No past paper database
    I do everything myself, the learning finding the resources getting the books etc..
    Oh and don't ask a lecturer anything about the exam. They won't help you? :confused:

Why am I paying over 3 thousand pounds for this? This is absolutely stupid. Surely we're past this gcse, a-level lets trick you in the exam and make you fail crap.

Going to lectures and seminars and doing essays and actively discussing theories not good enough for them?

I am completely mind dead at why they university would not help you with the exam. Why do they want me to fail?

Hmm...

Quite a few past papers where I am for some of the Maths units but quite a lot of the Physics exams are on completely new units.

Sorry but I have to agree with those who say you need to grow a pair and stop whining.The questions will be surely set on what you've learned in lectures - but you won't know much beyond that and that's a good thing - no more rote learning and mechanical answers now I'm afraid.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by trm90)
    It's really not that bad OP. The thing is, even though they don't give you past papers and crap, markers are not as rigid as they are with A-level exams. There is no rigid markscheme. If the marker feels like something deserves an extra point or not because you knew what you were doing or talking about, they will give you that extra point because there is no stupid markscheme holding you down.

What you are doing right now is doubting your own self-intelligence. Just write about what you have learned and understand and stop worrying about how you're going to apply your knowledge to the exam. There are few 'exam tricks' at university.

This is why, personally, I have really excelled coming to university - whenever you write down an answer to something, you don't feel paranoid and think 'holy ****, what if I wrote down the answer but the markscheme doesn't like it? What if I wrote down something beyond my syllabus which is equally correct, but the markscheme will still deem it incorrect?'. It actually friggin tests your ability!
    Hmm, I think it depends a lot on the university. All the marking here is done by PhD students and they're given a mark-scheme to follow like at A-Level, and they're only allowed to deviate where the question is about content not covered in lectures (but is in the set textbook, for example). Or at least this is what one of the lecturers said, but to be faire it would make a lot of sense since the style of work hasn't changed since A-Levels apart from a lot more is self-taught but we are told which chapters to go over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Hmm, I think it depends a lot on the university. All the marking here is done by PhD students and they're given a mark-scheme to follow like at A-Level, and they're only allowed to deviate where the question is about content not covered in lectures (but is in the set textbook, for example). Or at least this is what one of the lecturers said, but to be faire it would make a lot of sense since the style of work hasn't changed since A-Levels apart from a lot more is self-taught but we are told which chapters to go over.
    Yeh I know what you mean - we get the exact same thing for physics seminars actually, and had something similar for geology practicals.

When it came to my (geol) exams, though, I remember not writing very precise definitions or diagrams, but I was concise and wrote down what I knew... and somehow got a 75% avg for most of my exams, so I'm very sure they were flexible about it

That said, although they do have those markschemes, I still think they're not as rigid really - I know PhD students who are more lenient with marks and aren't told off for it. Of course this means that students doing the same seminar sheet with a different marker could suffer, but I do feel like there is a lot less pressure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    Even though I completely agree with you, University tries to make you independent and I'm afraid they do that from the word go. I also agree that 3 grand is extortionate for what you get.
    28 contact hours a week and access to the UKs best research equipment? really?

ReputationRep:
    No past papers
    No past paper database

because it wouldnt be not unhard if they did that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madima)
    all these "university is about being independent!" and "past papers are for secondary school/a-levels!" people piss me off. try understanding something like maths or physics without doing any example questions and then come back and post. i'm at uni and i can access past papers up to 2000 with all the solutions; i also get the solutions for every tutorial sheet i've done throughout the year (for revision purposes) at the last term. doing these questions then looking at the solution is honestly how i learn about 80% of what i' supposed to. ah well, oxford aren't doing it right i guess.
    I'll agree there, I personally learn best by doing examples and past papers are one of the best ways of doing that (not to 'learn to the exam' - there's no answers given and content is pretty different every year).

However I'll agree it's different for sciences students - I can look up a question afterwards to see if I've got the equations right, you can't really do that with an essay.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.