Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Throughout my teenage life, recreational drugs have not been a major problem is any of my friends and peers lives. I've grown up at the 'richer' side of the island (Mallorca), abundant with schools that are very strict on discipline in and out of school.

The whole world and its dog have tried marijuana here, but very few have gotten to the state of needing it daily/weekly. Im concerned that at uni I may be exposed to stronger and greater quantities of recreational drugs, which I may indulge in (what can I say, I crack under pressure..), or that may affect fellow students, flatmates, etc. I spoke to a mate who had jsut graduated who said that sharing a flat with a pothead was a huge distraction and affected his studies, this is where my concerns stemmed from.

Its not a huge issue, though I am interested in how readily students at your university accept and indulge in drugs and how bad it gets. Does it differ on how prestigious the uni is? Could you get thrown out for getting caught?

Ty to all replies.

(P.S. Im not sure if it belongs in this forum, Im new here ^.^)

ReputationRep:
    Where are you going to Uni?

Most Uni's do have a lot of drugs. Unfortunately it's up to your will power to accept or decline them. Weed is not a problem if you are sensible - do your work first, don't smoke everyday etc. Other than that it's fine.

You won't be able to afford most other drugs (I assume) apart from pills.

Again, if you're smart, pills can be a great experience.

Moderation & regulation is key!

ReputationRep:
    UEA, Chichester, Sussex, Oxford Brookes and Royal Holloway.

And yeah, I'm pretty good at moderation, though.. whether it will be the same case when I'm not under parent supervision and have enough money.. I'm not sure... :/

ReputationRep:
    Drugs are quite abundant at Universities (mainly weed). Havent indulged in any myself as alcohol does enough for me, but it does happen.

Just say no if you don't want to try them, most people respect your decision

ReputationRep:
    Control your urges dude, if you want to do it, do it, but the only reason that you'll have an adverse effect on anybody else is because you don't control it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    UEA, Chichester, Sussex, Oxford Brookes and Royal Holloway.

And yeah, I'm pretty good at moderation, though.. whether it will be the same case when I'm not under parent supervision and have enough money.. I'm not sure... :/
    RHUL has got quite a big drugs scene going on (especially in the halls and corridors of Founder's) from what I heard and saw when I was there. AFAIK, nothing was done against either.

I know Chichester's pretty clean bar the odd moment. The Student's Union and university itself however have a very strong line about what and where it's taken. Ie: don't do it on university property or you could threaten your chance of completing your degree there (not in terms of health, more in terms of whether they'll let you stay)

If you do get offered it - just say no. No one will think any less of you for it. Same for copious amounts of alcohol drinking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a drug user (although it's more on a monthly basis) and every other drug user I've met have been very understanding of anyone who says no.

If you want to - do it. But be smart. You wouldn't go to class or work pissed or overly hungover (usually), so don't go to class or work stoned. Get your work done, then if you fancy a spliff, no harm done.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a couple of proffesors rolling a spliff last week on campus. Thats how common weed is at uni. Go for it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.