Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not very exotic compared to the other threads, but I'd like to do a mini tour of the UK (maybe for a month) because I haven't explored the UK much at all. I've been to London twice, I've been to Edinburgh, and I've been to Northumbria, and that's about it (apart from where I live in Lancs of course).
    Places I definitely want to go:
    Edinburgh and London (again), plus Oxford, Cambridge and Bath.

Can anyone recommend particularly interesting/pretty/fun places and landmarks. Can be well known or hidden gems, and any really good shopping areas (especially vintage or markets like Portobello).

If you can recommend certain places in the above named cities as well, that'd be great because I don't know them well at all. Is Notting Hill good?

I'm thinking of going in about May or September.
    All help is appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferret123)
    Not very exotic compared to the other threads, but I'd like to do a mini tour of the UK (maybe for a month) because I haven't explored the UK much at all. I've been to London twice, I've been to Edinburgh, and I've been to Northumbria, and that's about it (apart from where I live in Lancs of course).
    Places I definitely want to go:
    Edinburgh and London (again), plus Oxford, Cambridge and Bath.

Can anyone recommend particularly interesting/pretty/fun places and landmarks. Can be well known or hidden gems, and any really good shopping areas (especially vintage or markets like Portobello).

If you can recommend certain places in the above named cities as well, that'd be great because I don't know them well at all. Is Notting Hill good?

I'm thinking of going in about May or September.
    All help is appreciated, thanks!
    Bath - I haven't actually been, so I'll quote from another TSR user, who has (one of my sisters);

'In Bath the highlights were probably the 'Bizarre Bath' comedy guided walk, which was absolutely hilarious, and Aquae Sulis (the Roman Baths). It was incredible walking around it and knowing that 2000 years ago people were standing, walking, chatting to their friends etc. in exactly the same place as I was, and could see some of the very same things that I was looking at 2000 years later. Another great thing about it was a particular view, in which you could see not only the Baths building but also the Abbey and some Georgian buildings - whole layers of the town's history, all in one go.'

London - Camden Markets (vintage/alternative), the London Eye, the South Bank, Covent Garden (where the Royal Opera House is, lots of street performers, interesting shops etc.), the Tate Modern, the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, Trafalgar Square & the National Portrait Gallery, Madame Tussauds, the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Regent's Park, shopping in Oxford Street & Knightsbridge, Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum....

Oxford - only been there a couple of times, but I definitely recommend visiting the famous Covered Market (get some Lardy Cake - when heated it's one of the best things I've ever eaten) for a look round, and various Oxford Colleges, and there's punting on the river as well.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin works in Ripleys lol
    I'm sure it's probably a bit weird to go punting on my own hah but the other recommendations are just what I wanted
    Thanks for your help, keep em coming!

ReputationRep:
    Stratford maybe?

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in history, I'd go to York, Durham and Canterbury as well, and Hampton Court (and Stirling, Glasgow & St Andrews in Scotland.) If you like gorgeous landscapes/national parks/Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty etc., then try the Gower Peninsula (South Wales), the Yorkshire Dales, the Cotswolds, the New Forest, the Forest of Dean, Bodmin Moor, Dartmoor, the Yorkshire Moors, the Lake District, the Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia, the Scottish Highlands & lochs & islands...

ReputationRep:
    ^That's a great list - I'd probably choose natural beauty/national parks over history, but I'm open to all suggestions.
    I'm not very into museums or exhibitions though (unless it's Banksy :-))

I went to the New Forest when I was a kid so I might go back there because I remeber I enjoyed it. I've been to the Lake district quite a bit (forgot to mention that one earlier).

Is there a cheap way of getting around? I'd go for trains most of the way I think.

Thanks for your help :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferret123)
    ^That's a great list - I'd probably choose natural beauty/national parks over history, but I'm open to all suggestions.
    I'm not very into museums or exhibitions though (unless it's Banksy :-))

I went to the New Forest when I was a kid so I might go back there because I remeber I enjoyed it. I've been to the Lake district quite a bit (forgot to mention that one earlier).

Is there a cheap way of getting around? I'd go for trains most of the way I think.

Thanks for your help :-)
    I've heard that the Viking Museum in York is brilliant, even if you're not really into history, the same with the Roman Baths in Bath, and in London I'd definitely still go to the Tower of London.

Train is the cheapest if you have an 18-24 railcard and book very far in advance. Otherwise, the Megabus is often the cheapest of all. (It tends to stick to the main towns/cities, though.)

ReputationRep:
    Check out Spitalfields in London. Nice indoor market, near St Pauls and the city of London Sometimes its cheaper to get hotels over that way.

ReputationRep:
    York, Durham, Brighton, Aberdeen and Glasgow all spring to mind.

Brighton's Laines are brilliant for shopping - lots of little boutiques and vegan cafes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.