Turn on thread page Beta

online dating...how long does/can it take? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey people!
    Basically signed up to a dating site, this girl started communication with me, and we've been on the 'open' stage for a while now, just keeping sending each other messages etc

From people's experiences, how long does this tend to go on for until you both arrange to meet up?

I know some people will argue that each case is different etc, but am just interested in people's experiences on TSR!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you like her just ask if she wants to meet up for a drink and go from there. My advice is not to overthink it or you'll probably bottle it.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ What she said

ReputationRep:
    Until one person says 'Wanna meet up?' usually.

On gaydar, the average is probably seconds...

ReputationRep:
    there are a lot of timewasters in the world of online dating so I personally get talking on the phone to someone to arrange a meet after the exchange of a few detailed memos.

It happens very rarely though as I'm very choosy and tis all good lol

ReputationRep:
    For my part, I signed up to OKCupid on about the 14th of November; got the average mixture of sleazy, creepy and friendly messages; got a message from a lovely seeming man on the 16th; we continued messaging each other until the messages were of Epic Length; and, in fact, so long and so... intimate, in a non-sexual way, that we decided to meet up after only ten days of messaging- and we've been in a committed relationship since early-ish December.

As you said, everyone's experience is different, though. I feel incredibly lucky to have found someone this compatible that quickly. I keep waiting for the universe to catch up with me and kick me around a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazamatazz)
    For my part, I signed up to OKCupid on about the 14th of November; got the average mixture of sleazy, creepy and friendly messages; got a message from a lovely seeming man on the 16th; we continued messaging each other until the messages were of Epic Length; and, in fact, so long and so... intimate, in a non-sexual way, that we decided to meet up after only ten days of messaging- and we've been in a committed relationship since early-ish December.

As you said, everyone's experience is different, though. I feel incredibly lucky to have found someone this compatible that quickly. I keep waiting for the universe to catch up with me and kick me around a bit more.
    Awww thats what i wanted it to be like - i joined match.com october 2008 and i haven't had my first date yet - probably just me :p:

ReputationRep:
    I signed up to a sleazy website just so I could make friends....

The majority of the people i spoke to were underage and a bit sick in the head tbh.. but i did meet a few really nice people on their one of them I am now living with and am engaged to and we been together for almost 2 years.... so i say just let it go with the flow you dont wana pressure them into something and seem to eager no matter how much you like them.... you gota be able to trust one another.... take it slow let nature take its course... if you like them.... tell them by all means but dont rush things

ReputationRep:
    I nearly got a date from OkCupid. I asked someone if they wanted to go for a drink and they said yes, so we exchanged messages for a bit to try and set a date for it, but after a while she just stopped replying. If she didn't want to go out with me I'd rather she just said so. I don't think I can be bothered with it anymore. The same people are just showing up over and over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazamatazz)

That sounds just like me. I 'met' my boyfriend on Okcupid just a few days after joining, and now we're living together, 18 months later...

ReputationRep:
    Well assuming you're Mr. Perfect In Every Single Way, then you'll have to send a whole series of immaculately crafted essays for at least a week, probably more. Be careful!- one little spelling mistake or unfunny joke and you'll never hear from the object of your affections again.

If you do that right, then maybe, just maybe you'll be able to secure a date with little-miss-ever-so-slightly-above-average.

Bitter? Me?

ReputationRep:
    Well a friend of mine met a bloke on match.com a few days after she joined, now they're engaged

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.