Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to go to uni in September but I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford it.

I'm not living with my parents (complicated family) but with other family members who earn to much for me to be able to get any bursuaries. I will not get any financial support off any of my family to go to uni, ( I can understand why it is done but bursuaries do seem so unfair.)

I've been looking at accomadation at the unis I've applied to and the 2 I most want to go to both have 50 week accomadation in halls. I don't intend to go home for christmas or the summer etc. as I promised myself many years ago (and still do now) that when I leave for uni I distance myself from this family and not turn back.

I fully intend to get a job at uni and hopefully before I go , I lost my part time job in the Summer due to staff cut backs (Part time were the first to go) and haven't been able to find a job since.

My question is, can I really afford to do this?

Sorry about the long post, Thanks in advance for any replies !

ReputationRep:
    Your post wasnt long you should have read one of my long ones lol
    anyway I know how you feel, but ther are other grants that you might be eligible to get. Check on the student government page kind of thing. Also go on student finance to check if you are eligible for any help and it also has links for other stuff. There are always banks to borrow money for the course fee anf so on. Also Unis have scholarship that you might as well try, you've got nothing to lose. Also about jobs just keep handing in CVs and I joined the retail choice website or something and I uploaded my cv and got a job within a month. most of all SAVE UP!! it's so hard but I have managed to save up £500 since I got the job ... also plan finance table thing. Calcualte how much money you will need, i.e course fee, accomodation fee, food, transportation and other stuff. It might help u, it clmed me down a little when i found out how much money I needed as it want as much as I had in mind. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happi_minnie)
    Your post wasnt long you should have read one of my long ones lol
    anyway I know how you feel, but ther are other grants that you might be eligible to get. Check on the student government page kind of thing. Also go on student finance to check if you are eligible for any help and it also has links for other stuff. There are always banks to borrow money for the course fee anf so on. Also Unis have scholarship that you might as well try, you've got nothing to lose. Also about jobs just keep handing in CVs and I joined the retail choice website or something and I uploaded my cv and got a job within a month. most of all SAVE UP!! it's so hard but I have managed to save up £500 since I got the job ... also plan finance table thing. Calcualte how much money you will need, i.e course fee, accomodation fee, food, transportation and other stuff. It might help u, it clmed me down a little when i found out how much money I needed as it want as much as I had in mind. hope this helps
    Thanks, I've been handing CVs out everwhere but they all seem to want people to work full time at the moment. If I get a job I'll try to work full time through the summer as well as part time for now. Hope fully It'll be managable!

ReputationRep:
    Really? Where about do you live? Are you trying to get a job in retail? Because I know they are the most competitive ones to get a job in. Try Cafes, restaurants and pubs and little independant shops

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't living with your parents, have you looked into any further grants or bursaries? If you're estranged from them, you get quite generous grants.
    Otherwise - you just have to get a job, or put it off for a few years until you have more money behind you. The system is kind-of flawed, and whilst I understand why they do it the way they do, it seems so dysfunctional and I do understand your frustration.

I had about £300 to live on, once rent was taken out, for the whole of last year. My mum give me £40 a month, but that's it - I just had to work my socks off. I worked part-time during term-time, but if you work enough during the holidays, it's not impossible to have enough to live on.
    It's not particularly fun, yeah, but if you want to go to uni, it's sometimes an option you just ahve to go put up with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position. I have good grades but I can't afford to live outside of London and most of universities that I want to/can get into are outside London

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to do is to see if you are eligible for bursaries, grants etc and apply for them and then sit down and work out your finances as if you will get no grants, bursaries, or any help at all and see if/how you'll be able to afford it.
    That way if you do get any extra help then it'll be a bonus not life support.

Everyone is entitled to get student loans for tuition and maintenance and you should be able to get a part time job whilst at uni. Also, your overdraft is your friend.

I went to uni with no help from my parents, about £400 savings which I spent in the first month and the basic loans, no grants. I've survived with a combination of my overdraft and part time jobs. It's do-able. All that said, I regret going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely know how you feel about the whole money thing. I get on quite well with my parents generally, so i'm just staying local and i'm going to commute into uni each day. I'm not entitled to much money due to my household income, but i don't want to ask my mam and dad for money because obviously they have the mortgage, car, and my sister to pay for! I'm going to stay at home first year, and try and save up to move out the year after. I'm pretty sure that due to your situation you should be entitled to some more money, or a grant.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.