Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    seen the advert for this programme tonight and just read the bbc article(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8464359.stm)

anyone else love the stuff:yep:

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Glasgow for a year and half and still haven't ever tried it. I feel like I'm missing out on a cultural experience.

ReputationRep:
    Bit horrible at first but gets more drinkable as you get more drunk :p:

Something you need for a tight budget piss up.

ReputationRep:
    its magic! bit too expensive for the skint student though! i prefer the £3.40 bottle of rose since i've came to uni haha!

ReputationRep:
    It tastes like suncream mixed with vinegar.

My dad is in the police, he confiscated it from some neds once when I was about 14 and brought it home for me to try. It was disgusting.

I'd give it another go now though, just to check.

ReputationRep:
    It tastes horrible and there are plenty of cheaper ways to get drunk so it isn't for me at all.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it tastes as bad as everyone says. It tastes like a combination of wine/cider, but a bit sweeter (to me, anyway!). It's the only thing that one of my friends has ever drank, they think it's amazing but bleh. I wouldn't choose to drink it.

EDIT: Just read the article and realised it's not on about the taste haha, I just assumed from the previous replies. It doesn't make my friends who drink it anymore violent than if they were drinking any other sort of alcohol. Whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I've never tried it, but then I prefer the occasional Chardonnay/Pinot Grigio.... Champagne never goes amiss, either.

... Who am I kidding, £3.00 bottles out of Tesco FTW!

(Yay, Bucks Fizz XD)

ReputationRep:
    I hate how the news/bbc start these documentaries on seemingly "WOW just discovered" topics. Any non educated delinquent living in Glasgow could've identified this situation while up to their eyeballs in the stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Just read the article and realised it's not on about the taste haha, I just assumed from the previous replies. It doesn't make my friends who drink it anymore violent than if they were drinking any other sort of alcohol. Whatever.
    The people that drink Buckfast and then go out and act violently would do the same if they were drinking cheap cider or whatever else. I don't drink it myself however people I know that do tell me it gives you a "better" drunk than any other kind of alcohol in that if you drink beer or spirits they generally makes you want to go to sleep or feel like ****. They say drinking Buckfast will give a good alcoholic buzz and keep you going all night which is when these neds will be getting in fights.

ReputationRep:
    On a similar note that "reporter" should be shot for putting out such sensationalist rubbish.

There was nothing worth merit in that travesty of an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allthewayhome)
    On a similar note that "reporter" should be shot for putting out such sensationalist rubbish.

There was nothing worth merit in that travesty of an hour.
    How did I know this thread would basically turn into a Who's Who of Scottish TSRians...:p:

Anyway, I think the BBC needs to look up the term 'causal link'...

ReputationRep:
    i love bucky, its a typical cheap, 15 years old down the park getting mashed drink. a right of passage for any self professing waster, at least in NI!

and ive found ONE SHOP in manchester that sells it, lethal.

i dont think it makes me angry though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romystarr)
    i love bucky, its a typical cheap, 15 years old down the park getting mashed drink. a right of passage for any self professing waster, at least in NI!

It isn't really that cheap is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YerMah)
    seen the advert for this programme tonight and just read the bbc article(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8464359.stm)

anyone else love the stuff:yep:
    What does it taste like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romystarr)

This! Im from N.I. and it simply is THE drink to consume under a bridge before nights out! lol.

I have yet to encounter more than a couple people who even know what it is in Leeds, nevermind sell it. Shameful!

ReputationRep:
    It's the alcohol+caffeine combination - You could get the same sort of effect drinking jagerbombs

ReputationRep:
    Why is it only Scottish people are posting, is Buckfast not sold in England?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what number is on the bottle whether it tastes any good, really. Mad Dog tastes much, much better and isn't nearly as bad for you. And it isn't even that nice.

It's quite funny the way that politicians have latched on to Buckfast and blame all alcohol/ned related ills on that. Yes, the caffeine content probably does give them that bit extra energy for their stabbing spree, but it's not like their going to give up drinking or stabbing folk if you, heaven forbid, raise the price. It's not even the cheapest bottle out there.

EDIT
    (Original post by LAURA459)
    Why is it only Scottish people are posting, is Buckfast not sold in England?
    It's made in Devon, doubt it's that popular in England, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.