Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is catered full of posh people? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm making the decision of whether to go catered or self catered at the moment. I can see the pros and cons of both and am really confused.
    Someone said to me the other day..
    'Basically, posh people go catered, poor people go self catered.'
    I'm neither of these categories and wondered if he was speaking the truth?
    Thinking of going to Newcastle.
    Advice pleeeeeeeease.

ReputationRep:
    No, why would it be?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the question would be "ensuite full of posh people?"

ReputationRep:
    Its more full of people who can't cook, can't be arsed to cook or got their last accomodation choice and so had to go catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    No, why would it be?
    I didn't know, obviously there's going to be a mix anywhere, but a couple of people have told me certain halls at certain uni's were a bit unbalanced but that might just be where they are.

ReputationRep:
    It's for people who are too lazy to cook. I suppose you'd call me 'posh' and I certainly don't want to be catered, might as well be at school then. I don't want the biggest, best room though.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I went catered for the whole of my BA - just couldn't be arsed to cook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Not really, I went catered for the whole of my BA - just couldn't be arsed to cook.
    fair enough, i'm lazy but really sociable so think it might be the best option

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not, they wouldn't be able to stand not having caviar every day!

(Seriously though, what?! Who cares? It will only be you who's going round looking for "posh people". Stop trying to guess people by their catering preferences and think about what you actually want!)

ReputationRep:
    I know at Exeter catered accommodation has a bit of a reputation for being full of rahs, but maybe that's just a stereotype...

ReputationRep:
    I'm vegetarian and quite picky so no way am I going catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Obviously not, they wouldn't be able to stand not having caviar every day!

(Seriously though, what?! Who cares? It will only be you who's going round looking for "posh people". Stop trying to guess people by their catering preferences and think about what you actually want!)
    Haha, I'm not worried if they're posh or not, just curious as that statement puzzled me!

ReputationRep:
    its just for people who cant be bothered to cook for themselves - ensuite rooms is where you get 'posh' ones x

ReputationRep:
    Self catered will cost you more than catered anyway - or it will if you want to eat anything other than Tesco Value stuff and beans on toast. Generally C is about £20 more per week than SC. Catering for myself I spend about £50 a week on food by the time you've included take aways, meals out, bites here and there.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I'm catered and pretty much poor tbh lol

For a lot of people, it's either one less thing to worry about or one less thing to make time for; the latter for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letia)
    its just for people who cant be bothered to cook for themselves - ensuite rooms is where you get 'posh' ones x
    Or people who want to meet more people. Or people who chose those particular halls for another reason.

I've been in catered and self-catered halls and the catered halls were infinitely more sociable.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.