Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm partway through my first year at college taking Maths, Further Maths, French and Photography. Now, next year I plan to drop Photography as it's not really going to be any use to me as my aim is to study Maths at Cambridge :yep: . As I plan to do Maths, Physics seems the obvious alternate subject to study, and I plan to do it next year, but I was wondering whether it'd be physically possible to do the entire A-Level in one year? I'm doing M1 and M2 in Further Maths this year, and what I've heard the first Physics module is -very- similar to M1 so that would help me too. Obviously it would involve quite a bit of extra work, but I don't know either whether my college would let me do it in one year..

Any advice appreciated

ReputationRep:
    *bumpity bump*

ReputationRep:
    Definately possible, especially because you're doing mechanics. I know quite a few that have done physics A-level in one year, it's definately possible.

ReputationRep:
    Physics is hard! But you could maybe try and start learning it now, seeing as you're only doing 4 AS levels at the moment. Get the book recommended by your exam board and teach yourself the first module (you're right, it's very similar to M1).

Though you could always just do the AS next year. Would be much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Forget it. Unless you're some kind of genius, which you probably aren't, squeezing 10 hours worth of physics work into a week on top of your other subjects is a good way of failing. Granted, mechanics may be easy for you, but its becoming familiar with concepts and rules that is the hard part. I'm not saying you'd necessarily find physics hard, but I doubt you'd be able to cope with both the AS and A2 simultaneously.
    You should also remember that the A2 modules use knowledge accumulated in the AS modules, adding to the complication and confusion. I'd just do the AS next year if you think it'll help, but to be honest Cambridge is a high standard to achieve and there is no guarantee you'll even get an offer. There are plenty of other good unis that will take you with just maths, further maths and French. If your heart is set on Cambridge, then look at doing postgraduate study there, once you have your degree.

ReputationRep:
    It is easier than doing Math A-Level in a year, you just have to be consistent with your work, no ******* around.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm only managing it because I'm on gap year...I don't think it'd be possible if I was doing other subjects, I don't think even Cambridge ask for more than 3 Alevels so it's more important to do well in the ones you're already doing. If you desperately want to do physics maybe just do the AS level, then you can ensure you get the grades you need in your current subjects.

ReputationRep:
    talk to you college, it is probally not too late to drop photography and take physics instead (we have just stated the second module) and teach yourself the module one (mechanics, it is quite easy)

ReputationRep:
    the first AS modules is very similar to M1 (i found it a lot easier than m1 though).
    if possible, start learning physics unit 1 now, and have your college enter you for th june exam? it'd be one less exam to do next year. you could learn unit 2 over the summer, then be ready for a2 phsyics in september. then you could do unit 2 and 4 next january and fit in unit 3 (practical work) at some point.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it now along with chemistry and biology A2s and finding it absolutelely fine, and I didn't even do AS maths. On track for an A*. You should probably find it very easy, god knows it's been dumbed down so much. I would say its one of the easiest A levels to do in a year - in my syllabus the a2 doesn't build upon AS at all, its a very separate course. Good luck whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    yes, M1 and M2 cover almost all of the first and fourth units. Just leaving the two other units.. Half of these is maths which will take no time at all, the other half is reading - which is more time consuming. If you have alreaddy done M1 then you could easily pick physics up after this exam session, and sit the first (mechanics) module in the summer along with the second (wordy) module.

The sooner the better, and physics will be alot easier then the other alevels you do.

You might want to also learn M3 as physics alevel wont go into any meaningful depth of mechanics in general.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather choose life but yeah if you can.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest each module in physics is pretty seperate, like someone said they don't really build on each other, or atleast this was true for my syllabus.

So you can just think of it as doing 4 A2 levels and an AS level, people do this all the time, i know i did.

Although if you can get the college to put you on the physics AS course now, well that would be smashing.

ReputationRep:
    I asked my school about this as I am taking 3 AS and 1 A level this year (12) and wanted to drop one and do physics in a year.(so I would have 3 A levels and an AS) They said it would be fine so I don't think it would be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely possible. I'm doing AS/A2 Physics, A2 Maths, and A2 Chemistry. Though, there's a ****load of work to do every week, and familiarising yourself with basic concepts and such, it's manageable.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    It is perfectly possible if you really want it and put the work in. Im doing 2 Alevels( politics and psychology) in a year and 1 retake at the moment and as long as I keep up to date and keep going over the work its OK. I did AS in January then Doing A2 in June. good luck if you decide to go ahead with it

ReputationRep:
    I think you will do well, but you have to put the work in now. I am doing Physics OCR A in one year at the moment with Maths and Chemistry. I did the AS exams in Jan and am going to do both A2 exams in June. It is a challenge and you have to be prepared to put the work in.

ReputationRep:
    If you are interested in physics and are sufficiently bright, you could cover 5-6 hours class time (without practicals, demos etc - only bare essentials) in 1 hour! The fact you're going for Maths at Cambridge probably shows this

At least IMO, the difference between physics and other subjects, is while other subjects have masses of information, physics has far less information, but many people find it conceptually difficult - i.e. can't picture what's happening.

Ask your college nicely if you can borrow a textbook and access the materials (sheets etc) this year, and maybe enter for one or both AS exams this year. Remember A2 units are a bit harder than AS units.

ReputationRep:
    Wow... I'm in the same dilemma as you. What have you decided then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightingale)
    Wow... I'm in the same dilemma as you. What have you decided then?
    I just did the AS level, and am quite glad I didn't choose to do the full A level (mainly because I find Physics excruciatingly boring!). I think it is possible, a friend of mine is doing it in one year, and the only trouble for him (except the quality of teaching at AS) is when you're covering bits in A2 which are based on AS knowledge.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 27, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.