The Student Room Group

GCSE's should be harder!! yes!

i've just found out that gcse results are considerably high. A* are achieved by 7.0% of all gcse students at gcse. Now, in my opinion this does not distinguish exceptional students. It only distinguishes from those who were bothered enough to revise more than one day prior to the exam. Now, i'm not trying to boast, because i'm not that clever or that audacious, but i could take my maths paper 1 test right now no revision and expect atleast an A.
Nobody reply " i achieved only C!!" because i'm sure if you committed yourself to the revision it would be an A/A*. It shouldn't be like this, only students who revise AS WELL AS BEING EXCEPTIONAL at the subject in question should be able to achieve A/A*s.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're probably right. Though tbh I don't think you even need to do that much revision to get an A*. All I did was turn up to class everyday and do some cramming the night before (but obviously worked hard in lesson too).

BUT not as many people achieve good grades as you think. Just under 50% of pupils get 5 A*- C grades, which isn't that many when you think about it.

EDIT: Having read a few later posts, I would like to agree with Rubgish and andyh10. That statistic suggests that only 7% of pupils achieved at least one A*, which isn't that many really. The number achieving, say, 5 or more A*s will be a lot lower. Also, they seem easy now, but thinking back GCSEs were quite difficult! :o:
Reply 2
Only 7% get A*'s? Thats not as high as I thought. I would suggest thats a reasonable number to get the highest possible grade. Someone who gets 10A*'s is thus going to be an exceptional candidate.
Surely even if it only reflects those who are putting in the effort to revise, that's a good indicator in itself?

I sincerely hope sour grapes aren't clouding your judgement.
Reply 4
I think they're hard enough. When you start doing A Levels you realise how easy GCSEs were, but at the time they felt quite difficult. 7% of students getting an A* is not that high and I expected the per centage to be higher than that.
Reply 5
I'm thinking the same as Rubgish. If only 7% of candidates get at least 1A*then that seems pretty fine to me.
I just want to say GCSE's now are almost worthless, everyone is achieve equally high grades across the country and employers and college's are having a tough time differentiating Outstanding students from others.
So sad.

It's the same in A-levels aswell but not as bad as GCSE's.:o:
It's so annoying people saying 'THEY'RE SOOOOOOOOOO EASY'. I can guarantee you weren't saying that when you were doing them.
Reply 8
they're piss easy. I did no homework/hardly ever paid attention in class, was suspended 5 times throughout the two years and did no revision prior to any exam.. came out with a couple of a*, few as, one b and an e in RE.. yes, they're too easy and make toffs use them to act cool
Reply 9
tanakataku7
i've just found out that gcse results are considerably high. A* are achieved by 7.0% of all gcse students at gcse. Now, in my opinion this does not distinguish exceptional students. It only distinguishes from those who were bothered enough to revise more than one day prior to the exam. Now, i'm not trying to boast, because i'm not that clever or that audacious, but i could take my maths paper 1 test right now no revision and expect atleast an A.
Nobody reply " i achieved only C!!" because i'm sure if you committed yourself to the revision it would be an A/A*. It shouldn't be like this, only students who revise AS WELL AS BEING EXCEPTIONAL at the subject in question should be able to achieve A/A*s.

I believe the real test at GCSE level is achieving high grades in a whole range of disciplines. They not only test ability but also time management skills and diligence.
Reply 10
Casshern1456
I just want to say GCSE's now are almost worthless, everyone is achieve equally high grades across the country and employers and college's are having a tough time differentiating Outstanding students from others.
So sad.

It's the same in A-levels aswell but not as bad as GCSE's.:o:

... no they're not! Only 7% got at least 1A*, which does not translate to everyone getting the same grade :p:
Reply 11
no !

you dont even bother to consider the ones who are not clever and how they would feel
Reply 12
sassy123
no !

you dont even bother to consider the ones who are not clever and how they would feel

no these people would get e's and rightly so be considered thick as ****
NO, Leave it as it is! otherwise there will be alot of 16 year old drop outs.
Reply 14
Remarqable M
NO, Leave it as it is! otherwise there will be alot of 16 year old drop outs.

this would be a good thing..
Reply 15
Jfranny
they're piss easy. I did no homework/hardly ever paid attention in class, was suspended 5 times throughout the two years and did no revision prior to any exam.. came out with a couple of a*, few as, one b and an e in RE.. yes, they're too easy and make toffs use them to act cool

And how are you doing now? That approach still working?

Perhaps If I had tried harder and not just thought they were gona be a breeze my grades would of be excellent instead of just good. I learned a lesson and worked harder last year and got very good grades at as. More sort of a learning experence than a difficult set of exams.
They're easy if your intelligent and at a decent school but some people do actually really really try and still get low grades. So its not fair to say anyone could get an A if they bothered to revise. Its still a good way of separating hair and beauty crew from the A level crew.
sassy123
no !

That's the whole point of a grading system. To separate those who are "clever" from those who aren't.
I actually agree with this;
there were people who I knew at school who shouldn't have got the grades they did.
I'm retaking my maths gcse and finding it as equally as hard but I think I have a different frame of mind this time 'round and I'm doing the 1 year course I've only 11 classes left until my exams, there's none of the coursework or waiting 2 years for the final exams.

I didn't pass first time 'round but I wouldn't say they're easy. They are challenging I suppose. Maybe I don't think they're easy because I wasn't an A/B student in school.

Latest

Trending

Trending