Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I want to combine two different undergraduate courses (english and history) on my ucas application, is it possible that I might be accepted for one course and not the other? Or if I am rejected from one course, do I automatically get rejected full stop, or do I have the opportunity to just take the one course?

If that is the case I am considering applying to my preferred university's twice- ie one as a combined course, and one as just a single course. Is this possible/advisable?

ReputationRep:
    It is possible and the university could give you an offer for one course and reject you from another (or they could reject you from both, or give you an offer for both). But it's not advisable as it would be pretty difficult to create a personal statement that wil show your passion for both subjects, thus weakening your application for both courses. I would suggest you make your decision now as to what subject you ultimately want to study at uni.

ReputationRep:
    They might decide you suit one more than the other but considering English and History as seperate subjects are competitive it would probably be quite unlikely.

When you say get rejected from "one course" a combined English & History degree is a seperate course in its own right - it has a different course code and everything. It is seperate from single English and History degrees.

On the subject of putting two courses down for one university it can be a good and a bad thing I guess. I am in a similar position but still have not made up my mind myself! You could end up getting rejected twice or only getting offered one.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the advice. When I say English and History it's actually Creative Writing and Classical Civilization / Medieval Studies. I want to major in Creative Writing, and do a minor in a history course but if combining two courses is going to jeopardize my chances of getting into Creative Writing I may well just apply for that and forget about the History.

Luckily I have a whole 4 days to decide my entire future. Honestly, Ion't know what I am panicking about....

ReputationRep:
    Can you find some English courses that give you a free choice of modules from any subject? You would then take English and choose some accessible History modules for the elective time. I know a few of the Physics courses I applied for offered this, so it should be the same for English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Game_boy)
    Can you find some English courses that give you a free choice of modules from any subject? You would then take English and choose some accessible History modules for the elective time. I know a few of the Physics courses I applied for offered this, so it should be the same for English.
    No, afraid not- I had already looked into that. Can anyone tell me why applying to the same uni twice would be a good and bad thing? Would they more than likely look disfavourably on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muska)
    No, afraid not- I had already looked into that. Can anyone tell me why applying to the same uni twice would be a good and bad thing? Would they more than likely look disfavourably on it?
    University admissions tutors look for commitment and enthusiasm for the subject, as well as ability and potential. If you apply for two disparate courses at the same university the tutors for both subjects will see both choices. This may give them the impression that you can't make up your mind and cause them to doubt you. Candidates with minds that are not made up have a much greater tendency to drop out of their courses, which loses the university money and causes them problems which they would really rather avoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    University admissions tutors look for commitment and enthusiasm for the subject, as well as ability and potential. If you apply for two disparate courses at the same university the tutors for both subjects will see both choices. This may give them the impression that you can't make up your mind and cause them to doubt you. Candidates with minds that are not made up have a much greater tendency to drop out of their courses, which loses the university money and causes them problems which they would really rather avoid.
    Ok I can understand that logic. But surely by applying for English on its own, and then English and History combined, my two choices aren't exactly disparate? I want to do both courses, and have no intentions of dropping out, but at the same time I don't want to damage my chances of being able to take English by getting rejected for History and then subsequently English as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muska)
    Ok I can understand that logic. But surely by applying for English on its own, and then English and History combined, my two choices aren't exactly disparate? I want to do both courses, and have no intentions of dropping out, but at the same time I don't want to damage my chances of being able to take English by getting rejected for History and then subsequently English as well.
    The logic goes like this: These are two extremely competitive subjects as far as admissions goes; PS space used on a subject that is not the one you really want to study merely (a) wastes space and (b) confuses the admissions tutors of the single subject courses; you may lose the places for single-subject English because of the discussion of history (they won't see your application for combined courses, unless at the same university). If you really want to study both subjects apply for five combined honours courses and all choices will see your (welcome) enthusiasm for both.

Don't forget that, if all goes well, you'll have to choose between these subjects anyway. Make that decision at a time when it benefits your application, rather than after it has snookered you by diluting your PS.

ReputationRep:
    The logic goes like this: These are two extremely competitive subjects as far as admissions goes; PS space used on a subject that is not the one you really want to study merely (a) wastes space and (b) confuses the admissions tutors of the single subject courses; you may lose the places for single-subject English because of the discussion of history (they won't see your application for combined courses, unless at the same university). If you really want to study both subjects apply for five combined honours courses and all choices will see your (welcome) enthusiasm for both.

Don't forget that, if all goes well, you'll have to choose between these subjects anyway. Make that decision at a time when it benefits your application, rather than after it has snookered you by diluting your PS.
    Well I really want to study both, as I do have an idea of where I want to take this, and so hope to include both in any future employment. It's just that if push comes to shove, there is one subject I would rather study more than the other. All of my choices so far include combined honours in both subjects, I just don't fancy the thought of getting rejected by all of them. I would kick myelf if by applying to do history as well, I jeopardized my chances of getting to study English. As much as I would love to study History, English is the subject I am more enthusiastic about.

Unfortunately the clock is ticking so I suppose I really should make a decision. Judging from what yourself and others have said, my best option would be to take English as a single honours so I guess that's most likely what I will end up doing. Should probably get back to rewriting my PS then in that case...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muska)
    I really want to study both,
    This seems to be the most significant thing you have written, and it implies joint honours. The rest seems to be just a misguided attempt to mitigate risk.

ReputationRep:
    This seems to be the most significant thing you have written, and it implies joint honours. The rest seems to be just a misguided attempt to mitigate risk.
    To be honest it is a bit. This is my one shot to get into uni, due to previous bad decisions in my life if I don't get in this year- that's it. I won't be able to re-apply next year. I've literally worked my socks off to complete a 2 year access course in 9 months, whilst getting an average of 78% in every module and not getting a single assignment under 70% in a bid to impress any future universities. It's been a lot of hard work and I have pretty much been studying 10-12 hour days, 7 days a week since I got here.

I do want to study both. I haven't made this decision lightly, a lot of deliberation has gone into it and I have known for years this is what I want to do, and these are the subjects I want to study. However I've recently been getting the impression that by applying for joint honours it's seriously going to damage any chance I have of getting into uni full stop. Hence the reason for starting this thread- I am hoping for a slightly better idea of where I stand.

Previous to this thread I emailed all my chosen uni's but it's been almost two weeks now and only one has replied, so that's added to my worry. I know I have the knowledge and the desire to succeed in both subjects, but if my chosen uni's don't see that or don't agree then I am in a bit of a conundrum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muska)
    To be honest it is a bit. This is my one shot to get into uni, due to previous bad decisions in my life if I don't get in this year- that's it. I won't be able to re-apply next year. I've literally worked my socks off to complete a 2 year access course in 9 months, whilst getting an average of 78% in every module and not getting a single assignment under 70% in a bid to impress any future universities. It's been a lot of hard work and I have pretty much been studying 10-12 hour days, 7 days a week since I got here.
    Well, good luck! It sounds as if you deserve it, and I'm sure you'll get in soemwhere, even if via clearing. They are risky subjects though. I am not the right person to advise on whether joint honours for those two subjects is even riskier, I am afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate. To be honest you have been pretty helpful, though the more I think about it the more I know I will end up kicking myself if I don't at least try and apply for History. Maybe I'll go for a joint honours in four of my choices, and a single honours in the fifth and then just sit back and pray...

ReputationRep:
    Shameless bump again.

One of my chosen universities do a combined history and creative writing course, however the history course isn't as interesting to me as their ancient civilization course, which is a single honours. Is it worth applying to this university twice- ie once for the joint history and creative writing, and once with creative writing and classical civilization as seperate courses that I wish to combine? Or would that just be looked upon as a bit foolish?

If any of that that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muska)
    Shameless bump again.

One of my chosen universities do a combined history and creative writing course, however the history course isn't as interesting to me as their ancient civilization course, which is a single honours. Is it worth applying to this university twice- ie once for the joint history and creative writing, and once with creative writing and classical civilization as seperate courses that I wish to combine? Or would that just be looked upon as a bit foolish?

If any of that that makes sense...
    Why not discuss it with them on the telephone before applying, then make your mind up? It might be that a rejection for one would imply a rejection for both.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.