Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Universities need to be shut down or merged watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The government should shut down all universities and have them merge into 10 or so massive insitutions that serve to educate and train students, and it should be free.

Prospective undergraduates should be selected on academic merit or by however the institution deems appropriate. Abolishing fees would eradicate the major inequality in education once and for all.

The location of the university isn't important in such a small world. They should be called something along the lines of "University of X" with X being its specialty for example engineering, law or art.

18 is too young to decide what field you wish to work in for the rest of your life. Therefore relocating to work in industry will be compulsory for all citizens of 18 years old of which companies will be obliged by law to hire and pay fairly. The only other option for the student should be national service until you've "found yourself" or death by firing squad.

ReputationRep:
    Unemployment is high enough.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Interesting idea but I wouldn't like that. The variety of universities is a good thing. I would hate to go to a massive institution. I prefer the idea of a small community type university.

ReputationRep:
    It takes away a lot of freedom to choose though.

British people would never buy it.

ReputationRep:
    okay obama...

ReputationRep:
    But what do you think about the amount of chip shops in britain? surely something needs to be done about that before anything else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogerio134)
    But what do you think about the amount of chip shops in britain? surely something needs to be done about that before anything else?
    What's wrong with chips? Are you a chipist?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, merge into one somewhere in the middle of nowhere and just create a massive student city. Although no one would leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    What's wrong with chips? Are you a chipist?
    Im more Potato wedge-ist but i dont really want to get into racial profiling at this time of day really. are you pro chips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epud)
    The government should shut down all universities and have them merge into 10 or so massive insitutions that serve to educate and train students, and it should be free.

Prospective undergraduates should be selected on academic merit or by however the institution deems appropriate. Abolishing fees would eradicate the major inequality in education once and for all.

The location of the university isn't important in such a small world. They should be called something along the lines of "University of X" with X being its specialty for example engineering, law or art.

18 is too young to decide what field you wish to work in for the rest of your life. Therefore relocating to work in industry will be compulsory for all citizens of 18 years old of which companies will be obliged by law to hire and pay fairly. The only other option for the student should be national service until you've "found yourself" or death by firing squad.
    Choosing a degree does not equate to choosing a career. I'm doing Geography, but there is a probability that I wind up in a career that is loosely connected at best to any kind of geographical study. The only real exceptions are Law, Engineering and Medicine, simply because they wind you up in decent professions anyway, and are vocational courses to a large extent.

TBH, this sounds like a troll anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many towns/small cities would just collapse economically if all their students suddenly disappeared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epud)

Oh really now?

I went from physicist, to computer scientist, to doctor to radiographer; the end product is more or less the sum of the previous professions, so I had a pretty good idea what I wanted to do. Besides, there is such a large scope for my chosen profession, that a year or two in a post-grad course can change my work life entirely.

I think forcing people to do X, Y or Z is bad, as there are people who will not want to do that, and society would almost dictate that if you parents went into medical or engineering that you would be expected to do so too, which reduces social mobility.

Finally, would the science on be called the 'University of Science', for me that is too much of a generalisation. When does a science start and end? How deep do the sub-divisions go? Ultimately, your plan is doomed for failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epud)
    I disagree with this for two reasons: firstly, that I see the current diversity in university education to be of utmost importance, and secondly because I feel that it is important that students cover the immense costs of their education.

(Original post by Epud)
    Whilst I agree that universities should be more able to select students based on THEIR considerations, with only ten universities available to the public such a system would not work. Again, financially, this isn't viable.

(Original post by Epud)
    Location may not be so important that it should be the basis of a university choice, I agree. However, CHOICE certainly is important - every single course at every single university in the UK is different. Giving people one, maybe two choices of course will severely limit them.

(Original post by Epud)
    I don't agree that 18 is too young to be making important life decisions. It certainly isn't too young for everyone, and for those that consider themselves unable to make such a choice at the age of 18, university can fortunately be attended at any adult age.
    Those who DO know what they want to do at 18 should not be forced into work only to then have to go and study what they've intended to since they left school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I wonder how many towns/small cities would just collapse economically if all their students suddenly disappeared.
    Basically Ormskirk would, it wouldn't be funny how fast everything shut down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    True, doesn't stop the locals whinging about students though. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMV)
    Basically Ormskirk would, it wouldn't be funny how fast everything shut down.
    Preston, too. I can't imagine it'd be anything without the student population.
    50% of the children in the area, for instance, are considered to be growing up in 'poverty', and it shows in many parts of the city. The more modern, popular areas are filled with consumer students and working grads.

ReputationRep:
    sounds a little like plan for a socalist state to me,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I don't agree that 18 is too young to be making important life decisions. It certainly isn't too young for everyone, and for those that consider themselves unable to make such a choice at the age of 18, university can fortunately be attended at any adult age.
    Those who DO know what they want to do at 18 should not be forced into work only to then have to go and study what they've intended to since they left school.
    I agree with that. It's true a lot of people don't know what they want to do sometimes even by the time they finish uni. Maybe the best thing for them is to encourage them to do degree courses that are more general and with a lot of transferable skills. I mean subjects like maths, english lit, history, physics, chemistry don't pigeon hole you into one specific career.

People who have a good idea of what they want to do can go ahead with that. I knew what I wanted to do career wise when I was about 12.

ReputationRep:
    And can you imagine ANY department of ANY of the universities achieving the prestige of Oxbridge? The potential standard of education would be vastly lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    True, doesn't stop the locals whinging about students though. :rolleyes:
    They're always the first to complain, it's like they forgot the 60s and 70s and how much really hasn't changed.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.