Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just thinking about the question at interview - Why Cardiff? - and to date I don't know an awful lot about Cardiff....

How might I respond? I've applied for foundation course dentistry - anybody know about their recent developments/new buildings/investments

I'm interested in music, been in CCF (cadets) at school, like the outdoors an stuff

does anyone know how Cardiff relates to me?
    Maybe a hard question, but any ideas are welcome!!

ReputationRep:
    For the interview, you need your own reasons, as it'll be easier to justify them. Just have a look at the prospectus and around the internet. You should find something. But I'll give you some info on the city itself, since you're considering studying there:

Cardiff is a small city if you're used to places like London or Birmingham. When I went to MedWales, we were staying right in the heart of the city (in the Holiday Inn by the Millenium Stadium), and it took us less than 10 minutes to get there from the outside of the city. Most of the shops, bars, clubs, pubs etc. (as far as I know) are concentrated in an area around the Millenium Stadium.

As for Welsh people, there won't be as many as most people tend to think. The English people outnumber the Welsh people, but the number is significant. We're usually fine with English people, but you will definitely annoy us if you either insult our culture, heritage or language etc.; ask us why we speak Welsh when we all understand English; or go into Wales in an England shirt, with England flags and bumper stickers on your car and shouting all over the place! We will automatically hate you during the Six Nations, but it's nothing personal! Also, we will support Wales during any sporting event, and as soon as it's obvious that Wales can't win, we support everyone else except England, once again, nothing personal.

Cardiff, and most of Wales for that matter, is a good place for the outdoorsy type person. You don't need to go far out of Cardiff to be in the countryside. As for music, there's nothing particularly special about Cardiff - just another city. If you're interested, there is a University Air Squadron in Cardiff.

Anyways, that's as much as I can think of now. I don't actually live in Cardiff, so I don't know everything (if I'm wrong with something, please correct me).

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not English, but thanks for the speel on English people and insulting the welsh etc... I'm from Northern Ireland, and I'm actually really interested in language and culture etc, but that's not what I was asking about really.

Are you studying dentistry at Cardiff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jupitersax)
    Well I'm not English, but thanks for the speel on English people and insulting the welsh etc... I'm from Northern Ireland, and I'm actually really interested in language and culture etc, but that's not what I was asking about really.

Are you studying dentistry at Cardiff?
    There's no need to insult people's replies for not answering your question properly, and how the hell is he supposed to know you're not English?

ReputationRep:
    I am the best reason to come to Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Why Cardiff? That's something you should think of before you select a university. If you need a bit of help for "Why did I choose Cardiff for Dentistry?" take a look at http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/dentl/ - there's news and events and things on there that should be able to help you out a bit with your ideas.

As for your interests, I'd disagree with chrisbontnewydd - Cardiff isn't just another city for music. We've got plenty of venues that cater to smaller bands and artists, and musical styles that don't make it to the top of the charts - Clwb Ifor Bach, The Globe, Cafe Jazz, 10 Feet Tall, Buffalo. We might not have the pulling power of London, but what we get is really good.
    As for the outdoors - we're really green as a city. We've got Bute Park and Pontcanna Field on one side of the city (within a 5minute walk from the Uni and most of the Halls), and Roath Park on the other side. If you wanted something more, you could get a train or a bus (or drive) out of Cardiff and in no time end up in the countryside.
    As for CCF, I could be saying something stupid, but we have links with something (which escapes my mind right now) that allows for a sort-of fast-track with the army alongside your degree. Knew someone in it last year, but the actual name for it escapes me, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    There's no need to insult people's replies for not answering your question properly, and how the hell is he supposed to know you're not English?

Apologlies - I didn't mean to insult anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Why Cardiff? That's something you should think of before you select a university. If you need a bit of help for "Why did I choose Cardiff for Dentistry?" take a look at http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/dentl/ - there's news and events and things on there that should be able to help you out a bit with your ideas.

As for your interests, I'd disagree with chrisbontnewydd - Cardiff isn't just another city for music. We've got plenty of venues that cater to smaller bands and artists, and musical styles that don't make it to the top of the charts - Clwb Ifor Bach, The Globe, Cafe Jazz, 10 Feet Tall, Buffalo. We might not have the pulling power of London, but what we get is really good.
    As for the outdoors - we're really green as a city. We've got Bute Park and Pontcanna Field on one side of the city (within a 5minute walk from the Uni and most of the Halls), and Roath Park on the other side. If you wanted something more, you could get a train or a bus (or drive) out of Cardiff and in no time end up in the countryside.
    As for CCF, I could be saying something stupid, but we have links with something (which escapes my mind right now) that allows for a sort-of fast-track with the army alongside your degree. Knew someone in it last year, but the actual name for it escapes me, sorry
    I basically chose cardiff cause I know they're a top rated uni for dentistry and they're part of the russel group. Main reason was that they'd consider me without chemistry. But just thought i would ask to hear from the Cardiff people or people studying there.

Do you mean OTC? (Officer Training Corps)

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jupitersax)
    I basically chose cardiff cause I know they're a top rated uni for dentistry and they're part of the russel group. Main reason was that they'd consider me without chemistry. But just thought i would ask to hear from the Cardiff people or people studying there.

Do you mean OTC? (Officer Training Corps)

Thanks for your help
    Yes. Yes I did. I thought it started with Officer, but then thought "I'm being silly..." - but yeah, we have our own one here. The guy who lived in the flat across the corridor from my flat in halls was part of it, and he'd always be tagged in photos on facebook at their formals and such.

Suppose you have a fair reason for picking Cardiff first off - if you don't need something, it's less stress to get in, but obviously an interviewer doesn't want to hear that. You can probably get away with "Cardiff is part of the Russell Group; it's got a good reputation, and I think that'll help me in the future as well as being a part of a University with staff on the forefront of their field" (since Russel Unis are meant to be the 'leaders' in UK research).

I remember my interview for Swansea, and I think I went through this process of "Oh crap, I don't know what to say to my interviewer", and then, on getting there and spending the day in lecture theatres and just wandering round, I got over my nerves and just forgot everything and simply spoke - the interviews were meant to be 15minutes but I was last on the list, so I ended up with a 45 minute interview where we discussed American politics and the reasons I disliked it compared to European. In the end, I went for Cardiff though, obviously, but the interview had nothing to do with it - American politics just bored me senseless.

Really, the staff aren't there to catch you out - they're just there to see if you've got the passion and the drive to get into their Uni. You're not going to have to jump through hoops, but, you're going about it in a sensible way; treating it almost like a job interview - if you know about the company and all that.

Anyhow, I'm rambling.

Good luck with your interview and the rest of the UCAS process

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I was ever asked "Why [University]" in any of my interviews, to be honest. An interview is supposed to be about you as a person rather than the specifics of their particular course (which is why sucking up is rarely a good idea), and admissions tutors know that plenty of people will pick universities for non-academic reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Yes. Yes I did. I thought it started with Officer, but then thought "I'm being silly..." - but yeah, we have our own one here. The guy who lived in the flat across the corridor from my flat in halls was part of it, and he'd always be tagged in photos on facebook at their formals and such.

Suppose you have a fair reason for picking Cardiff first off - if you don't need something, it's less stress to get in, but obviously an interviewer doesn't want to hear that. You can probably get away with "Cardiff is part of the Russell Group; it's got a good reputation, and I think that'll help me in the future as well as being a part of a University with staff on the forefront of their field" (since Russel Unis are meant to be the 'leaders' in UK research).

I remember my interview for Swansea, and I think I went through this process of "Oh crap, I don't know what to say to my interviewer", and then, on getting there and spending the day in lecture theatres and just wandering round, I got over my nerves and just forgot everything and simply spoke - the interviews were meant to be 15minutes but I was last on the list, so I ended up with a 45 minute interview where we discussed American politics and the reasons I disliked it compared to European. In the end, I went for Cardiff though, obviously, but the interview had nothing to do with it - American politics just bored me senseless.

Really, the staff aren't there to catch you out - they're just there to see if you've got the passion and the drive to get into their Uni. You're not going to have to jump through hoops, but, you're going about it in a sensible way; treating it almost like a job interview - if you know about the company and all that.

Anyhow, I'm rambling.

Good luck with your interview and the rest of the UCAS process
    Thanks very much maybe ill try an find out more about teh OTC in Cardiff then. Hopefully ill be the same as you and it'll all come together on the day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    I don't think I was ever asked "Why [University]" in any of my interviews, to be honest. An interview is supposed to be about you as a person rather than the specifics of their particular course (which is why sucking up is rarely a good idea), and admissions tutors know that plenty of people will pick universities for non-academic reasons.
    What course did you apply for? From what I've read on TSR, dentistry applicants tend to be asked 'why x university?' quite a bit, or variations like 'why this dental school rather than another one?'

Hopefully it won't be too complicated tho, and if its just an informal get-to-know-you and chance to show passion for subject or in this case career, it should b ok

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.