The Student Room Group

Advice Needed

I am in year 12 and I am taking Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Spanish AS's currently.

I am finding spanish incredibly hard, time consuming and my enthusiam has all but gone - and I have decided that it would be best for me to quit.

I am finding my sciences difficult, and from Chemistry and Biology I have been withdrawn from the January exams due to poor grades. (I will retake in the summer) - I really want to focus on my sciences and get those grades up.

I have a clear idea of what I want to do at University - Zoology. I have looked at five universties, the subjects they require, what they prefer and how many UCAS points they need. My mother has rung 3 of the unis up and they all said that given my situation, it would be best for me to drop spanish. They said it was not really needed and as long as I have 3 good A2 grades (especially as my subjects are perfect for zoology) it would be fine.

My school seem completely relectant to let me drop despite the fact I am only getting Us in spanish and I have explained how unhappy I am they dont seem to be listening.

I do understand that having a diverse range of subjects is import and that the year I apply for university will be incredibly competitive and that they school have to encourage me to do four...

However I feel I have thought about this greatly and that I have provided the school with proof that I am clear in my future and have researched my decision thoroughly. I am very unhappy in this situation - can anyone give me some advice?

My spanish teacher told me that there was a new goverment policy that once you are enrolled in subject you cant give it up and HAVE to be entered into the exam, and if you dont do it you get a U on your UCAS form. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
I think you have to carry on with it if it's after chirstmsa. I know a couple of my friends who has dropped subjects before christmas but i dont tihnk anyone can after christmas. Ans it is true you only need 3 A levels which are good. Another friend of mine got a an E for maths but got accepted for all her unis (sheffield, nottingham, leeds, york and lancaster) for biology. As long as you get your science grades it shouldnt matter. As for the spanish just try and pass it, it's an extra as which may set you apart from others :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.

I friend of mine in a different school has just dropped chemistry though.

I am finding it hard to carry on as not only do I get fustrated, btu angry and I feel that doing spanish is making me feel low and affecting my other subjects. I really wish I did not feel this way, but sadly I do. I wish I could snap out of it but I think the combination of me lacking in vocabulary and grammar and getting Us is contributing to my attitude.

Latest