Turn on thread page Beta

Workload involved with doing a LLB law degree watch

ReputationRep:
    Safe guys,

I was just wondering about how much work a Law degree entails in comparison to other similarly respected degrees (e.g. Mathematics).

In addition, does it really affect social life as badly as it is made out by other TSR users?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Well, depending on what you want to make of your Law degree, it seems as if you have to work your socks off. People aiming at a first, from what I've heard, are putting in 40-50 hours of work a week.

Mathematics may not actually be the best example though, because of all really serious degrees I've heard from mathmos that actually depending on how naturally talented you are, you can put in substantially less work than other degrees and still come out very well.

But why are you asking about Law degrees when you've got an EE offer from Cambridge? Christ's presumably?

ReputationRep:
    Varies wildly depending on the individual. Very hard to say.

ReputationRep:
    about half as much as the LPC!

ReputationRep:
    I am looking at a 2:1, which i am happy with tbh and i am hardley the model student. First year you can pretty much just enjoy uni as it doesn't really count, but if you work hard it will for sure help you out for your other 2 years (getting into a habbit and the right frame of mind etc). Second and third year, there is a massive increase in workload. I rekon if you went to all your lectures without fail, did the recomended reading and an additional 2 or 3 hours a day a first would be well within your reach. I would say it is definatly one of the harder degrees, no question, but it doesnt have to destroy your social life if you manage your time well.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what you want from the law deree - if you're wanting a first, and to get a really good placement etc., then be prepared to work incredibly hard and play very hard

You won't really be able to go out every night, and will probably suffer from caffiene overdoses and lack of sleep, but you'll get them with all degrees, the end result is worth it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 10, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.