Turn on thread page Beta

Can't change the string on my guitar watch

ReputationRep:
    I've waited for about 2 weeks for these strings to come through the post. I really want to start playing, but just can't manage to work out how to put them in.

And the pins keep popping out for the thicker strings.

Have I got the wrong strings and pins?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'd be surprised if you managed to get the wrong strings; you'd have to order bass guitar strings, and you'd know if you'd done that lol.

Look at the images (and read the text) at the bottom of this: http://www.jazzguitar.be/how_to_string_a_guitar.html Once you've done it one time, it should be easy from then on

ReputationRep:
    oh, and my nut fell off. I super glued it back on, but I don't think I did it right, as the strings aren't all together, not placed apart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    I've waited for about 2 weeks for these strings to come through the post. I really want to start playing, but just can't manage to work out how to put them in.

And the pins keep popping out for the thicker strings.

Have I got the wrong strings and pins?

:confused:
    Is this for acoustic or bass acoustic.... For my acoustic the strings go in nicely i just need to hammer them in with end of a screw driver to make sure they are in

Note when putting the pin in, make sure that the string slots into the gap in the pin. therfore the pins gap side will be directly facing down the length of the guitar and then just hammer in and it should fit nicely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    Is this for acoustic or bass acoustic.... For my acoustic the strings go in nicely i just need to hammer them in with end of a screw driver to make sure they are in

Note when putting the pin in, make sure that the string slots into the gap in the pin. therfore the pins gap side will be directly facing down the length of the guitar and then just hammer in and it should fit nicely
    I have no idea what type of guitar it is, acoustic I guess

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/product.p...duct_id=100324

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what type of guitar it is, acoustic I guess

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/product.p...duct_id=100324
    lmao nice guitar.. but yeah like i said.
    here is a clip on youtube which will show you with Images.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIVEWi3kZs Also do you know the make of your strings, if they are heavy/med/light, and what metal they are made from eg nickle...steel....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    lmao nice guitar.. but yeah like i said.
    here is a clip on youtube which will show you with Images.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIVEWi3kZs Also do you know the make of your strings, if they are heavy/med/light, and what metal they are made from eg nickle...steel....

I have no idea what strings they are.. medium I think.

Gave up, decided to 'borrow' my dads guitar for the moment.

ReputationRep:

I have no idea what strings they are.. medium I think.

Gave up, decided to 'borrow' my dads guitar for the moment.
    lol. the joys of no guitar knowledge...well there is none really. just annoying ahha:woo:
    well the medium-heavy steel strings are the ones that tend to be bassier and louder but do make a really horrible scratching sort of noise and also a even nastier ressonating (spelling is shocking, i know) noise. I got 2 acoustics, one with a higher bridge (bottom of head of guitar. top of necK) with some nice heavy steel strings and thats cool for just strummin. but my other guitar for fingerstyle has a smaller bridge and really light nickle strings. but damn do they snap well too much...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Medium strings might likely break a cheapo guitar which probably isnt able to take them. Order some 11s and try again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    Medium strings might likely break a cheapo guitar which probably isnt able to take them. Order some 11s and try again.
    How does a guitar break due to the strings being used?

ReputationRep:
    How does a guitar break due to the strings being used?
    Basically the guitar is built to withstand a certain level of tension on the neck, which is exerted by the pulling of the strings. Heavier strings give more tension which over time can warp and damage the woods on the guitar.

Normally on well made (read more expensive:p:) guitars they are built stronger and set up to be able to use heavier strings.

I would suspect on your guitar the heavier strings will be harder to play, mess up the intonation (tuning along the neck) and risk damaging the guitar.

Also lighter strings are easier to put on the guitar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    Basically the guitar is built to withstand a certain level of tension on the neck, which is exerted by the pulling of the strings. Heavier strings give more tension which over time can warp and damage the woods on the guitar.

Normally on well made (read more expensive:p:) guitars they are built stronger and set up to be able to use heavier strings.

I would suspect on your guitar the heavier strings will be harder to play, mess up the intonation (tuning along the neck) and risk damaging the guitar.

Also lighter strings are easier to put on the guitar!
    Thanks
    Will bear that in mind next time.

Yeah, my guitar is fairly cheap, and it's second hand! Gonna get a new one when I get better

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.