Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

This is aimed at any RAF Logistics Officers (ex or current) who might be using these boards.

I'm interested in the role - but the bumph doesn't reveal a massive amount.

- Is there much chance for deployments or work-related travel? Or are you stuck handing out note pads and desk fans in the UK?

- Also, are you streamed into a specific department (ie. catering) depending on the requirement or could I avoid catering if I wanted?

I'm in the process of arranging a site visit to get a better idea - but thought I'd pose the questions here in the meantime following on from the 'Ask an ABM' thread.

Thanks in advance

Binky
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Are you really interested if the job entails handing out note pads and desk fans?

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/l...tab=idothisjob

Do Stu and Steve mention either note pads or fans?
    I'm a Loggie. I have worked in the UK, USA, Canada, Belgium, Germany, Holland, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, UAE and probably a few others I can't remember right now. It is possibly the most varied of all Branches and even more now that Catering is with us rather than Admin.
    You can ask to work in areas, but ultimately the needs of the Service come first. I'd love to have a catering tour under my belt - breadth of knowledge is a wonderful thing to have. You know so little about the logistics world why express a dislike of catering?
    Here's the crunch - there will only be 9 Logistics Officers recruited per year for the next couple of years. Rather competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Pro

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I didn't mean any offence with my questions - I was asking because I genuinely am interested, only the limited information I got from my AFCO on the role was pretty negative (he was aircrew).

You're right as well - I should take a more open minded approach - I'm basing my assumptions on civvie street experiences knowing full well that any similar role is already going to be more interesting.

Is the role pretty hands on/physical? What kind of first tour can you expect once trained?

Thanks
    Binky

delivering anything from aircraft engines to desk fans
    - But Stu does mention fans - although it is in passing.

ReputationRep:
    Careful with those desk fans, you can't give them out. Someone else might want one!

ReputationRep:
    Must admit, that even though Supply [as was] was my back up choice, I encountered 1- negative opinions on the branch at almost every stage of application and 2- very little information available for it.

I was only able to find out about the phase 2 training by word of mouth as [at the time] not one piece of RAF literature given to me [by a UAS... possibly a factor?] mentioned this.

It has always seemed to me, though, that if you're applying for anything other than an aircrew role you're kinda treated as a second class applicant all the way through - until OASC, at least.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The Logs Branch isn't very good at advertising itself - but it doesn't need to right now.

Almost every re-Branch officer I've interviewed / chatted to has said how much broader and varied Logs is than they ever thought - but once they looked into it as a possible future they liked what they saw. The UAS world will always be about flying whilst they put pilots in charge of them. It is ever thus. Stick monkeys don't understand much at all outside the 'ops bubble'.

Logs Officer can be hands on / physical, but only in fits and starts and not a long term thing. Officers are in charge and invariably lead and manage the efforts of others to achieve the end result. As for a first tour - most anything and usually as a flight commander so you can consolidate some of your training. Perhaps in charge of a Motor Transport Flight, a part of the Logistics Squadron or a Catering Flight as well now. 1st tours are fairly short now (often no more than 18 months). You really start learning after the training!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Is UKMAMS/Movts still part of the Logs empire? That always struck me as an extremely hands on and high tempo job with a great deal of responsibility relatively early in a career, plus the opportunity to stay within the speciality for several tours?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    1 Air Mobility Wing is Logs and yes, it can be more hands on. However, they learned several lessons and now prefer to take people after a couple of other tours. Their work is far less of the fun taskings and far more about rotating through the various air movements detachments supporting current operations. The more responsibility you get, the less hands on as well - and you probably get more responsibility in other roles for longer.

ReputationRep:
    To add; my feet haven't touched the ground since finishing Supply Officer Training and even if not deploying on a 4 or six month det you can still volunteer to be a Deployed Supply Group Cdr for excercises, did 2 before I went on my movements course and even had to turn down the offer of doing another one to Haiwaii because my boss thought I was spending more time away on jollies than being a Flight commander (fair point). The opportunities as a logistics officer are some of the best out there and I would recommend it to anyone.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    The UAS world will always be about flying whilst they put pilots in charge of them. It is ever thus. Stick monkeys don't understand much at all outside the 'ops bubble'.
    To be fair, we're terribly busy. But as far as UASs go, that's already changed! The last UAS I visited was commanded by a scopie, of all people.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    A scopie is still within the ops bubble. I was shocked at the different view of the RAF on either side of that bubble.

I like the 'terribly busy' comment there as well. I only wish I could support current ops with every working minute. Hang on...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses guys - it's good to hear a different take on the role.

I've had to put my application on hold as the logistics branch is closed at the moment. Speculation is that it'll be open next month - but we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Who told you that it'll be open next month? I got told October

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a number of different dates - depending on who you call. Looking forward to it opening up but I won't hold my breath!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    only 9 places - so best you are really good!

ReputationRep:
    down to 4 at the moment, spoke to the school at halton today but... these numbers may well change in the next finacial year and also the upcoming SDR will have an impact also. If applying for logistics have other options in mind but work hard aim for logistics it is the best branch.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.