Turn on thread page Beta

LSE or UCL for Maths 2010 watch

• View Poll Results: Which university do you prefer most between LSE and UCL?
    LSE
    57.14%
    UCL
    42.86%

ReputationRep:
    If you had a choice, which one would you pick between UCL and LSE, and why - assuming the course at both are the same.

I currently have an offer for Maths With Economics from LSE and Mathematics at UCL. I like both causes equally and thus can't decide which institution I would like to go to.
    Which university would you choose to go to if you had a chose?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely UCL. I just love the place. Though I haven't been to LSE, I haven't heard many good things about it in terms of social life.
    And maths at UCL would be a great course. If I wasn't doing Engineering I'd have applied for that and it'd have been my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    UCL any time. For maths, at least.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you want to go there because you really want to study maths, or want to do well after your degree working in business.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually know what I want. I just want to do my degree and see where it takes me.
    Ultimately, I don't want to make the wrong decision and would love to hear whether there is a general consensus as to which one I should choose. At the moment, I can see the pros and cons of both and they seem to be of equal weighting, so I need opinions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katermerang)
    Depends if you want to go there because you really want to study maths, or want to do well after your degree working in business.
    Which uni would you pick for each "want"? :p:

ReputationRep:
    LSE, because it sounds better.

ReputationRep:
    Ucl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dichotomy)
    If you had a choice, which one would you pick between UCL and LSE, and why - assuming the course at both are the same.
    You obviously haven't done your research.
    i) Do LSE do maths? No.
    So UCL is quite obvious in this case,

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing as you can't do straight maths at LSE I would choose UCL. But if you had an offer from LSE I think you would be mad to turn it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    You obviously haven't done your research.
    i) Do LSE do maths? No.
    So UCL is quite obvious in this case,
    Well I thought I'd make this more simple by making this assumption.
    I have an offer from LSE for Mathematics (75%) with Economics and Mathematics at UCL. Having said that, I prefer both courses equally and I thought other people's opinions on each institution can influence my own.

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from LSE for Mathematics (75%) with Economics and Mathematics at UCL. Having said that, I prefer both courses equally and I thought other people's opinions on each institution can influence my own.
    Why didn't you apply to Maths with Economics at UCL? I believe that you still can change your course now because it is in the same department with single Maths degree, just give Rob a call and you will have two similar courses to compare:
    Maths with Economics at UCL or LSE?

ReputationRep:
    How can you PREFER both courses equally? That doesn't even make sense. Well they are two different courses, you just have to look at the degree modules for that.

ReputationRep:

I currently have an offer for Maths With Economics from LSE and Mathematics at UCL. I like both causes equally and thus can't decide which institution I would like to go to.
    Which university would you choose to go to if you had a chose?
    meh, i'm in the same boat as you OP!
    But still waiting on an Imperial rejection to be confirmed!...

I'm going to pick UCL of the two though, because I know loads of people who've come out of there with a Maths Hons and gone into IB and other funky stuff which I'm going to *hopefully* get into

Also, LSE Maths w. Econ and Pure Econ have the same shared first year - and I don't fancy doing THAT much economics, maybe you might though?
    And LSE halls are awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwful, just to warn you!
    I haven't seen UCL's though so I can't really compare the two

ReputationRep:
    Do Maths at UCL! I would at least.

ReputationRep:
    Pros and Cons (in my opinion)

LSE
    top economics
    graduate of economics job prospects high
    but very little choice in course modules
    very few different people i.e. all social scientists no others

UCL
    one of worlds top
    maths at UCL better
    better choice of option modules from many departments
    more types of people
    halls are better (kinda contradicting to what i write below!)

for me a UCL offer would be a grade higher (A*AA) than the LSE offer (AAAE) so it would be hard to pick...

(Original post by nellydee)
    meh, i'm in the same boat as you OP!
    But still waiting on an Imperial rejection to be confirmed!...

I'm going to pick UCL of the two though, because I know loads of people who've come out of there with a Maths Hons and gone into IB and other funky stuff which I'm going to *hopefully* get into

Also, LSE Maths w. Econ and Pure Econ have the same shared first year - and I don't fancy doing THAT much economics, maybe you might though?
    And LSE halls are awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwful, just to warn you!
    I haven't seen UCL's though so I can't really compare the two
    NOT TRUE!!!
    LSE halls are fine... maybe not up to rich peoples standard but STILL
    did you apply to LSE and get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    How can you PREFER both courses equally? That doesn't even make sense. Well they are two different courses, you just have to look at the degree modules for that.
    I regard both courses as en par with each other, thus my intention of creating this thread was to see which institution has the best reputation amongst society, which may influence my decision on which university I'd like to firm.

(If for argument's sake, I will change my course at UCL to Maths with Economics, would LSE or UCL be best suited for it?)

ReputationRep:
    I regard both courses as en par with each other, thus my intention of creating this thread was to see which institution has the best reputation amongst society, which may influence my decision on which university I'd like to firm.

(If for argument's sake, I will change my course at UCL to Maths with Economics, would LSE or UCL be best suited for it?)

In which case LSE has a higher prestige than it's fellow rival UCL.
    Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally choose LSE, but if mathematic is what you want to study, then perhaps UCL is better, from what I heard, LSE have a crap maths department.

ReputationRep:
    Ucl Ftw

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.