Turn on thread page Beta

C3 EDEXCEL MATH- will we lose marks if working is in degrees? watch

ReputationRep:
    I REMEMBER reading in one of the mark schemes, that one mark is lost if the working is in degrees, or something along those lines, the question was to solve for x and state values in radians, but I normally do it in degrees first and then convert to radians.

will that make me lose marks?
    please enlighten me!

ReputationRep:
    and please quote me!

(Original post by zomgleh)
    I REMEMBER reading in one of the mark schemes, that one mark is lost if the working is in degrees, or something along those lines, the question was to solve for x and state values in radians, but I normally do it in degrees first and then convert to radians.

please enlighten me!
    General rule is if the question is originally in radians, then your answer should be in radians too, and always if it specifically states for the answer to be in radians. Otherwise, yes you would lose a mark for it as your not doing as the question asks.

ReputationRep:
    and please quote me!
    It usually says in the question, give all answers within the range
    -\pi < x < \pi or 0 < x < 2\pi , so obviously if you give an answer of 30o it won't be right. Just read the whole question, and you'll be reminded to put your calculator into radians or degrees mode.

ReputationRep:

please enlighten me!
    Definitely do the working in radians, because if you work in degrees the possibility of losing marks is there and you're more likely to make a mistake. It's a massive pain in the backside to constantly be changing the calculator to radians and then back to degrees, but it's worse to do it in degrees and then convert it at the end.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    It usually says in the question, give all answers within the range
    -\pi < x < \pi or 0 < x < 2\pi , so obviously if you give an answer of 30o it won't be right. Just read the whole question, and you'll be reminded to put your calculator into radians or degrees mode.
    I know the final answer has got to be in radians, i can always do the working in degrees and convert the final answer back into radians. But my question is- will I lose marks for that?

ReputationRep:
    I always work in degrees and convert to radian too! And I always wonder if they'll cut out marks for this but I find it really annoying to work in degrees all the way long! :s:

ReputationRep:
    I know the final answer has got to be in radians, i can always do the working in degrees and convert the final answer back into radians. But my question is- will I lose marks for that?
    I wouldn't think so, but it's possible.
    Either way- from here on in, any work you do with trigonometric functions will assume you're working in radians throughout so you may as well get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you give the final answer in radians it's fine. They only really care about the fact that you can do the problem, and understand the differences between radians and degrees. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    General rule is if the question is originally in radians, then your answer should be in radians too, and always if it specifically states for the answer to be in radians. Otherwise, yes you would lose a mark for it as your not doing as the question asks.
    Read carefully that's not what the OP asked. She said if you do the intermediate steps in degrees then convert into radians, would you lose a mark for that ?

ReputationRep:

please enlighten me!
    your working can be done in degress as long as your answer is in radians (if thats what theyv asked for). Good luck with the exam!
    I will also be taking c3 tomorrow

ReputationRep:

please enlighten me!
    My teacher said that you will lose one mark per question that you make the mistake on. Just assume that every question is dealing with radians unless is asks for degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I do it all the time :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WNS)
    My teacher said that you will lose one mark per question that you make the mistake on. Just assume that every question is dealing with radians unless is asks for degrees.
    lose one mark for leaving the answer in degrees instead of radians? (when the q. asks for radians)

OR

lose one mark for doing working in degrees, even tho the final answer is in radians, as required by the question?

ReputationRep:
    If the answer is correct, YOU WILL NOT LOSE MARKS FOR SHODDY WORKING.

Rule of thumb throughout pretty much all of pure maths.

ReputationRep:
    lose one mark for leaving the answer in degrees instead of radians? (when the q. asks for radians)

OR

lose one mark for doing working in degrees, even tho the final answer is in radians, as required by the question?
    Lose mark for the answer being in degrees. I don't see why you cannot do work in degrees and then convert it to radians.

ReputationRep:
    no i doubt it you do, cause if you read the mark scheme from the previous papers,
    it says that degree mode is okay
    e.g gamma= 0.588 (Accept 62.5)
    i dont know if the degrees match up with the radians

but it says it on every test papper ive done so i think you'll be fine

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.