Turn on thread page Beta

Which is more realistic - Skins or Inbetweeners? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunty91)
    Neither/both.

The Inbetweeners is more realistic in the day-to-day sense, but some of the things that happen are absurd.

Skins is realistic in the way that it's not hard to live out some of the things (anyone can drop pills and rave), but it's ridiculous that it should be like that all the time.
    (Original post by WistfulSprite)
    Yeah, this is a good point. Many people can empathise with the experiences that are portrayed in 'Skins', but they just don't live that intensely all of the time.
    (Original post by BenJi man)
    Skins.... But less condensed?! sooo over a greater period of time... inbetween for a condensed view.
    :yep: These are pretty much my opinions. But since they are both fiction TV shows they can't be totally realistic, otherwise they'd be kinda boring if you think about it

ReputationRep:
    The Inbetweeners is by far more realistic. It's part of its appeal that most of us can relate to the characters and situations.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Inbetweeners..!

Skins is just Sex + Drugs + Alcohol! :\

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Inbetweeners, one of my favourite shows probably.

Skins is so ****, just repetitive ******** over and over. I'll still probably end up watching the next series though

ReputationRep:
    I'm an inbetweener

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    I though the moods captured in Skins were far more poignant and realistic, and the attitude of many characters was very true as well. I think what the characters actually do is only a very small part of it. Sid and Cassies relationship is possibly the truest I've seen on TV. I'm going to go with Skins.
    Really? I watched the first two series of Skins and I thought that was the most far-fetched thing I've ever seen. I hated Cassie and I didn't have an awful lot of respect for Sid left by the end of it. I've never met anyone who would act like that. I much, much preferred Jal and Chris's relationship.

Anyway, while I don't think that either are particularly realistic, Skins is the less realistic of the two. Its total lack of humour, exaggerated depiction of the average weekend, and the general two dimensional characterisation worked against it. While the characters in the Inbetweeners are similarly cartoonish, they are at least funny and the there are usually elements in the storylines that you can relate to.

ReputationRep:
    Inbetweeners is more similar to me and my friends really :P

ReputationRep:
    I think they both can be realistic to some extent (bar season 3 of skins which was LAME)

Inbetweeners pretty much showed teenage life for a bunch of losers, which I could relate to as all my friends were pretty much the 'losers who thought they were cool' etc, and a lot of the antics they got up to (especially the show where they drove to a club in london and got kicked out etc) we could relate to well.

At the same time, Skins (1+2) can be interpreted on a deeper level, as the concept of percieving the teenage mentality and how our true selves can be kept hidden behind a facade etc, so on a deeper level it does show somewhat of an accurate portrayal of teens in the 21st century.

basically Inbetweeners= face value, hilarious outlook of loser kids in 6th form, Skins= unrealistic at the surface, but plausable on a more philosophical level.

ReputationRep:
    Inbetweeners is pure and unadulterated epicness.

ReputationRep:
    Unsurprising that the consensus on TSR is that Inbetweeners is more realistic. But it's true; even the coolest people I know do not live like the Skins teenagers.

WTF happened with Skins series 3? It's like they sucked out everything that was vaguely entertaining about the first two seasons and replaced it with a load of gratuitous scenes of Effy/Freddy looking ethereally beautiful. Disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    Inbetweeners.
    How many fathers do u know that go in the jacuzzi nude with their girl's? Skins is an absolute joke!

ReputationRep:
    Skins is basically a moderated version of my life

ReputationRep:
    I can compare a lot of people my age to skins (Which I cant stand to watch) and a lot to the Inbetweeners.
    They're pretty different... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The Inbetweeners definitely. The majority of teenagers don't act like the "skins generation" we are often called, and most of their antics are far-fetched and over glamourised.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a skins.

It's wasn't hard to guess that most of TSR would say the inbetweeners :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <3 inbetweener =D)
    skins is just everyone constantly taking drugs and having sex, and the latest season was so unrealistic =O
    "I'm jonny white, look at me, I don't actually fight, I just carry weapons about with me, I chug boiling hot water cause I'm well hard, instead of pouring it on people, I eat spicey food instead of raping girls, I'm well gangsta I am"

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Have yet to watch the inbetweeners..but yeah Ive heard its a lot more realistic.

Skins was believable in the first season, second season it got a bit wierd, and third season was just a bloody piss-take...ruined the series for me : /

...Such as the badass gang leader losing a match of eating chiles...oh ffs..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Katharine.x)
    Skins, most definitely. Probably more the first (and maybe second) series than the later ones, though. Of course it's going to be exaggerated considerably, because it makes it more entertaining! Real life is never going to be like a TV show (because that show would suck lol!) but on a much smaller scale (and slightly fewer drugs :P) it would pretty much similar to a lot of teenagers' lives.
    :no: Even the most hardcore party animals I know don't get up to even a tenth of what happens in skins.

OP here's a funny little ditty for you. Remember when Will got **** on his trousers at a party, I got **** on my jeans at a party in october. Remember when Simon was naked in the sea on a Geography trip, I was naked in the sea on a Geography trip last year.

Doesn't get more realistic, if the character's experiences fit some of mine TO A TEE

However this:

(Original post by Phantom_X)
    At the same time, Skins (1+2) can be interpreted on a deeper level, as the concept of percieving the teenage mentality and how our true selves can be kept hidden behind a facade etc, so on a deeper level it does show somewhat of an accurate portrayal of teens in the 21st century.
    Is also a very valid and profound view.

ReputationRep:
    Inbetweeners!!

ReputationRep:
    I can actually relate to Skins a bit more , probably cos I like to think I'm like Naomi xD
    But The Inbetweeners funny quests for booze I can relate to definitely (:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.