Turn on thread page Beta

Which order? C1,C2,FP1,C3,C4,FP2 watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done that as an A level?

If so how did you feel the FP modules sit in terms of the core?

Did anyone go C1,C2,FP1 and then C3,C4, and finally FP2?

Interested in feedback

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vdub)
    Anyone done that as an A level?

If so how did you feel the FP modules sit in terms of the core?

Did anyone go C1,C2,FP1 and then C3,C4, and finally FP2?

Interested in feedback

thanks
    Sit C1, C2 and FP1 in one sitting and then C3,C4 and FP2 in the next sitting?
    Well I did Further Maths and had to study these in my own time so in my personal opinon FP1 and FP2 are harder.

ReputationRep:
    I did C1-4 then FPs. I think it was useful to know the core stuff before doing FP1, but it was designed to be done with C3 and C4

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the specification.

This is available on WJEC and works like this:
    AS: C1, C2, C3
    A2: C4, FP1, FP2

This is because FP1 is an A2 module. It follows from C4, and cannot be done without some C3/C4 knowledge.

However, other boards call it an AS module and it follows on from C2. You have to check the specification you'll be using to see how it works.

Personally, I feel that you should do C1, C2, C3 and C4 before you start looking at FP1, because you'll know by the time you finish C4 whether you will cope with the material in FP2.

ReputationRep:
    I did C1 C2 FP1 and it was alright. I think it would definitely be easier after C3 and C4 but you can do it the other way.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that C1, C2, and FP1 are all AS modules, the other 3 are A2, so C3, C4, and FP2 will be harder than the other three. And I'm guessing FP2 will follow on some principles from FP1.

ReputationRep:
    Great
    Thanks for the insight!

ReputationRep:
    That order is fine.

ReputationRep:
    I've done C1 already, sitting C2 and FP1 same time, then FP2, FP3 C3 and C4 next year.

ReputationRep:
    So its clear then, You can sit c1 c2 and fp1 in as and then c3 c4 and fp2 in a2
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I did C1-4 in Y12 and FP1-3 in Y13, but on the exam board I used (OCR) some people do C1-2 and FP1 in Y12 and C3-4 and FP2-3 in Y13. Both ways round have their advantages and disadvantages, but the end product is usually more or less the same.

ReputationRep:
    I've recently sat my C1 and C2 exams, and I'm doing FP1 and FP2 in two days. So I haven't done any of C3 or C4. I'm coping, but I have found it quite difficult. I'm told that C3 and C4 will be much easier for me now seeing as I've done FP1 and FP2.

ReputationRep:
    can't believe your college would have you sit fp1 and fp2 for the other two modules as oppose to m1;m2, s1;s2 or d1;d2 those three combinations are a lotttt easier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinitieSinclair)
    can't believe your college would have you sit fp1 and fp2 for the other two modules as oppose to m1;m2, s1;s2 or d1;d2 those three combinations are a lotttt easier!
    But some people want an A Level in Pure Maths

For some people the FPs are much easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    But some people want an A Level in Pure Maths

For some people the FPs are much easier
    a higher percentage of people doing further maths do fp1 and fp2 hence the higher grade boudaries. Less work needs to be put into the other combinations to get a higher mark. Cheers though

ReputationRep:
    a higher percentage of people doing further maths do fp1 and fp2 hence the higher grade boudaries. Less work needs to be put into the other combinations to get a higher mark. Cheers though
    I do not think that you understood my point

For some people Pure Maths is simply easier than any of the applieds - they prefer the material

ReputationRep:
    I do not think that you understood my point

For some people Pure Maths is simply easier than any of the applieds - they prefer the material
    Regardless, everyone has to work hard to revise and pick up exam technique - the exams for FPs require little mistakes and full knowledge of the syllabus, possibly even more, and then its still difficult when they throw curveballs in on the day to try to lower the grade boundaries - a lot harder.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless, everyone has to work hard to revise and pick up exam technique - the exams for FPs require little mistakes and full knowledge of the syllabus, possibly even more, and then its still difficult when they throw curveballs in on the day to try to lower the grade boundaries - a lot harder.
    Ok, I am sure we will not come to an agreement on this so further discussion seems pointless

After all I will merely repeat that for some people Pure Maths is much easier than Applied - requires far less work - certainly minimal revision or "exam technique"

This is why the Pure Maths A Level exists and why some schools enable it

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I am sure we will not come to an agreement on this so further discussion seems pointless

After all I will merely repeat that for some people Pure Maths is much easier than Applied - requires far less work - certainly minimal revision or "exam technique"

This is why the Pure Maths A Level exists and why some schools enable it
    I'm doing STEP I and II this Friday and next Tuesday which is purely C1-4 and FP1 and my strongest maths is quite easily Core. Decisions is purely common sense and learning what you have to, the same for mechanics and stats.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing STEP I and II this Friday and next Tuesday which is purely C1-4 and FP1 and my strongest maths is quite easily Core. Decisions is purely common sense and learning what you have to, the same for mechanics and stats.
    Cheers
    I have a maths degree and 30 years experience of teaching A Levels to a wide variety of students

I have taught Cs, FPs, Ms, Ds, and Ss

The Pure Maths is an option because some people prefer it - you may believe that everyone will do better with 2 applieds than with 2 Fps but you are incorrect

Cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.