Turn on thread page Beta

Commuting to Manchester from Hull? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I am a complete Student Room virgin and the reason for signing up was to discuss commuting to Manchester during my Masters in Development Economics and Policy.

I live in Hull and was wondering if it's possible to commute from Hull to Manchester during my one year postgrad.
    *Has/does anyone commute this route?
    *What is it like? Do you drive or get the train?
    *Does anyone do the Development Economics and Policy course, what hours per week are you usually in?

Cheers everyone,
    Look forward to hearing some responses…

ReputationRep:
    Two hours by train (clicky). Google says 1 hour 50 minutes by road, but with rush hour around Leeds and into Manchester I wouldn't count on it (clicky). TransPennine Express is usually pretty reliable and you can do work on the train.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the roads arnt too bad. Yes Leeds and Manc can get bad, but the roads around Leeds are quite good as long as there isnt an accident. Getting into the middle of Manc is where your problem will be. Its easily do able in 1 hour 20 if the traffic is with you.

ReputationRep:
    ah Manchester and Hull, were there ever two finer cities

ReputationRep:
    You could probably just about do it, but it would be tiring and costly. Mind you, this really depends on how many days/what hours you'd need to be there. If it was everyday, a season ticket for a month would set you back £546. However, if you were only making infrequent trips, you could book advance singles. Prices would start at around £18 return, but this could be reduced to as little as £9 if you invest in a railcard (£26 for the year, at least a third off tickets, and up to 50% with Transpennine Express).

Alternatively, if you decide to drive and want to avoid Manchester city centre traffic, you could park at Prestwich (just off junction 17 of the M60) and catch the tram in.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant, thanks all for the advice. Max, £546 sounds like alot for a months travel. I will check this out, hopefully it might be cheaper with a railcard and a season ticket. Cheers for the heads up about parking in Prestwich too!

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, the Transpenine Express is anything but reliable but that could just be my bad luck.

I honestly think you'd be nuts to spend over 2 hours each day travelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevnea)
    Brilliant, thanks all for the advice. Max, £546 sounds like alot for a months travel. I will check this out, hopefully it might be cheaper with a railcard and a season ticket. Cheers for the heads up about parking in Prestwich too!
    £546 is pretty decent value given that equates to about £18 per day during the month compared to £35 for the cheapest return fare. There's no railcard discount when purchasing a season ticket. Obviously you're not intending to travel to Manchester on a daily basis. If you're only going in a couple of times a week then a railcard discount on an off peak return is pretty competitive, and it won't gobble up too much of your time. If you need to be there more days a week though, it'll probably be a bit much. Driving will be expensive - it's a 200 mile round trip and you'll need to park somewhere. If you were driving though, I'd probably drive into wherever you're going - taking the tram will really take a lot of time off you and frankly it's not the roads in central Manchester you have to worry about but rather the motorways getting there.

ReputationRep:
    How about sharing travel expenses with those who are also commuting to manchester uni from Hull. Let me know is you are interested. As I am starting my masters aswell from september.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.