Turn on thread page Beta

Chest Hurts. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Not my breasts, more like the chest bone dead center. When I squeeze my shoulders together, it hurts. It feels like a pressure, but at the same time, it also feels like a bone dislocated or something - the kind where you would try to snap the bone back into place, but I don't think it's that. I don't know what it is, I woke up with it yesterday and it still hasn't gone away.

I've tried relaxing my chest in case it's a muscle gone taut, but that didn't work. What is it, and what can I do to make it go away?

ReputationRep:
    try going to the gym and doing some pectoral stretches, and take some pain relief if its that bad. if you still have it in 3 days go see the gp

ReputationRep:
    If it continues you should go to the doctors just to make sure it's nothing serious.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do anything strenuous with my chest, which is why I'm a little worried as to what this is.
    Oh, and I was talking about a minor dislocation ... the kind where you can just snap the bone back into place by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    I didn't do anything strenuous with my chest, which is why I'm a little worried as to what this is.
    Oh, and I was talking about a minor dislocation ... the kind where you can just snap the bone back into place by yourself.

how do you know though? I swear half of my minor injuries like a pulled muscle, bruises are from when i'm asleep

ReputationRep:
    what could I possibly do with my chest when I'm asleep?

ReputationRep:
    How could you possibly dislocate a bone without realising?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    what could I possibly do with my chest when I'm asleep?

you'd be surprised, you may have stretched a bit too much..the body can be very active when you're asleep. You'd know if you dislocated your sternum..

ReputationRep:
    I have a knuckle that dislocates on its own in my right hand that doesn't hurt, and I've gotten rid of some pains just by snapping (for example) my arm and feeling the bone click back into place so I thought maybe it's that. NOT a full dislocation with excruciating pain and all.

But yeah, I'll do the pectoral stretching and see if it goes away. Otherwise, doctor time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    You'd know if you dislocated your sternum..
    +1, lol.

Your top 7 ribs are connected to the sternum with cartilage, so you couldn't really 'dislocate' them... more like fracture the rib or snap the cartilage. You would know if you'd done this.

If you sure of its location around the ribs/sternum and not from within the chest itself then its more likely a muscle injury, or some kind of injury to the cartilage.

Maybe costochondritis?

Would definitely take a visit to the doctor tomorrow to rule anything more serious out though, and seek emergency advice if it worsens.

Same if you start to feel weak or unusual in any way.

Ooooh yeea, I was listening on work experience :p:

ReputationRep:
    hey...i had heart surgery a couple ofweeks bk and all of my bones were dislocated in my chest so i know what pain feels like...i think its mussel pain you have which does not go away for maybe a week...go to your gp explain the problem and get pain releif or just sit and do nothing.

ReputationRep:
    this sucks :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.