Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has this happened to anyone else? A copy of the email:

I write in connection with your application to read History at University College London. As I am sure you know, this degree programme is extremely popular and heavily oversubscribed. Consequently many good candidates have to be refused a place and I’m afraid that your application has not been successful. Before a formal decision is communicated through UCAS, however, I should like to invite you to consider changing your application to an alternative History degree programme taught in UCL.

This other History degree (V101) is of very similar scope, though less well known, and offers you a programme which includes History optional courses, both within UCL and those taught in other University of London colleges. The degree is run by the School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES), which merged with UCL in 1999. While its main focus is upon the history of Central and Eastern Europe (including Germany), SSEES is part of the London History Faculty, which enables its students to study the history of areas and subjects more or less world-wide (including some UCL History Department options). SSEES is the leading centre in the UK for its field. You can consult the SSEES entry in the UCL Prospectus and our web site (www.ssees.ucl.ac.uk).

I should like to invite you to consider this UCL History degree programme (V101) as a replacement for the one to which you have applied (V100). If you are interested we will then consider your application for the V101 programme. Please let us know whether or not you are interested by Friday 29th January as there is a space available for at our forthcoming Open Day on Wednesday 10th March. In advising you of this option to be considered for History V101, I should emphasise that you will not be “wasting” a UCAS choice, rather you will be making a positive use of your initial application for History V100. Please note that SSEES students are full members of UCL and receive the University of London classified BA honours degree in History on successful completion of their studies; the SSEES programme is the equal in weight and standing to the principal UCL History Department programme.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that uncommon a thing to happen to people applying to UCL History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    It's not that uncommon a thing to happen to people applying to UCL History
    Does it still count as a UCL degree? Or would it be SSEES, Univ of London degree?

ReputationRep:
    It happens quite often. I am not sure about the "University of London classified BA honours degree in History" however. As far as I understand it, UCL now issues its own degrees and that's what a UCL graduate receives - not a UoL degree. Not that that is really important here.

Anyway, I study a joint programme in which half of my degree is at SSEES history. So, let me know if you have any more specific questions. But, don't go for SSEES if you have no interest in eastern European history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella19)
    Does it still count as a UCL degree? Or would it be SSEES, Univ of London degree?
    UCL, it says so at the end of the email

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumintroll)
    It happens quite often. I am not sure about the "University of London classified BA honours degree in History" however. As far as I understand it, UCL now issues its own degrees and that's what a UCL graduate receives - not a UoL degree. Not that that is really important here.

Anyway, I study a joint programme in which half of my degree is at SSEES history. So, let me know if you have any more specific questions. But, don't go for SSEES if you have no interest in eastern European history.
    Thanks, just wanted to make sure it would still count as a UCL History degree, purely for employment purposes. I am quite interested in eastern European history - I studied the Cold War at A level and have visited Hungary and Slovakia. I'll have a look into the course and let you know if I have any questions

ReputationRep:
    I received the same. and now :confused: what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lubeno)
    I received the same. and now :confused: what to do
    It's disappointing but at least it's not an outright rejection. I'd like some proper feedback on the rejection....doubt that will happen though. What do you think you'll do? Are you interested in east European history at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella19)
    It's disappointing but at least it's not an outright rejection. I'd like some proper feedback on the rejection....doubt that will happen though. What do you think you'll do? Are you interested in east European history at all?
    Well, I am from Slovakia so I would study history of my region which would be certainly interesting. On the other hand I am not really in love with history of Russia so I will have to find out the amount of Russia related courses. I am still wondering about quality of lectures there (searching through TSR ).

ReputationRep:
    As stated, it does end up as UCL degree, though I can't comment on the teaching (I do V100 History and it is a separate department)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lubeno)
    Well, I am from Slovakia so I would study history of my region which would be certainly interesting. On the other hand I am not really in love with history of Russia so I will have to find out the amount of Russia related courses. I am still wondering about quality of lectures there (searching through TSR ).
    The quality of the lectures is just fine. At least in my experience. Obviously, as with anywhere, there are some lecturers that are better than others. But none are bad. A lot of people on here seem to have some issues with the teaching in other SSEES departments, but the history department at SSEES (in my opinion) is genuinely very good. Although, I caution that I only take half my degree there.

During your first year, you would be exposed to some Russian history as they try to give a smörgåsbord of everything so that you can find out what interests you most for the 2nd and 3rd years. However, you wouldn't need to write your coursework on Russian topics if it didn't interest you. After year 1, you could avoid Russian history entirely if you so wished. I'm in the second year and I don't take any Russian history units.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.