Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well im on a gap year atm and i want to do some traveling. I want to go visit Australia for 1-2weeks for the experience. Mainly to see the Great Barrier Reef, Zoo, Ayers Rock, Rain forest and beach!

Has anyone done something like this or going to do it? what was it like etc? Costs?

Also if anyone knows where i can go about getting cheap fights/hotels...new to this stuff so all help appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was in Australia for three months as part of a trip round the world. What we did was buy a car from Travellers Autobarn on a guaranteed buyback deal, and then travel round the country for 6 weeks until we reached Sydney, but obviously there wouldn't be much point doing that just for a 1-2 week holiday. I must say though, one week certainly wouldn't be long enough to do all you want to do, even if apart from Ayers Rock you just stick to the east coast - I'd say 2 weeks at a minimum.

You could do everything apart from Ayers Rock on the east coast - rainforest at Cape Tribulation (north of Cairns), Great Barrier Reef from anywhere between Cairns and Bundaburg, Australia Zoo, beaches at the Whitsundays, Byron Bay and Sydney. As far as costs go, I imagine that getting the Greyhound/Oz Experience buses would be the cheapest option, rather than internal flights, though as you won't have much time, I reckon maybe an internal flight to and from Alice Springs/Ayers Rock would be best, and then you could get the buses up or down the coast, as it's easy to stop off at all the places on the way up/down.

EDIT: There's tons of hostels you can stay at, all the way along the coast (and in Alice Springs), that cost reasonable amounts - on average between $18-$23 per night for a dorm bed. Any guidebook will list them, like Lonely Planet or Rough Guides. I never booked any in advance, despite being there at the height of their summer, and never had any problems finding beds, but you may want to book places in advance just in case. As regards flights, go to a travel agents like STA Travel, which has lots of discounts for students and under-25s, and make enquiries there.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks, actually helped quite a bit. Im going to visit a few travel agents later and see what they say...are going on tours worth it because i generally want to do stuff my own way etc..

ReputationRep:
    It's a long way to go for 1-2 weeks. On my first trip to Oz I was away from the UK for one month with 3 weeks spent in Oz.

If it is only 2 weeks you are there for I'd suggest fly to Cairns, do the rainforest, reef and beach. Return flights to Ayers Rock (Ayers Rock is expensive compared to the rest of Oz)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonMinx)
    It's a long way to go for 1-2 weeks. On my first trip to Oz I was away from the UK for one month with 3 weeks spent in Oz.

If it is only 2 weeks you are there for I'd suggest fly to Cairns, do the rainforest, reef and beach. Return flights to Ayers Rock (Ayers Rock is expensive compared to the rest of Oz)
    Only problem with the beach at Cairns, or anywhere in tropical Queensland, is that you can't actually swim there because of box jellyfish - one of the most poisonous creatures on earth. If he wants beaches where he can swim and/or surf, on the east coast still, I'd recommend Byron Bay or Sydney (or a trip out to the Whitsunday Islands, from Airlie Beach.)

In Singapore I met a guy who had just been on a two-week holiday to Australia, and managed to go to pretty much all of the east coast - the Whitsundays, Fraser Island, the Barrier Reef, Sydney, Byron Bay, Brisbane, Cairns. The only thing he didn't manage to do is Ayers Rock, but the OP should easily be able to fit it in if he uses a local flight (assuming he goes for a fortnight, not a week.) What this guy did was use the Oz Experience buses, and specially booked the journeys for overnight, so that he got more out of the daytimes and was saved having to book as many nights in hostels into the bargain. Obviously he had some nights in hostels, to recharge batteries and to use as bases, but from the sounds of it, it did save him some money and time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skippy123)
    Wow thanks, actually helped quite a bit. Im going to visit a few travel agents later and see what they say...are going on tours worth it because i generally want to do stuff my own way etc..
    I wouldn't say tours in Australia are worth it really, because it's a very easy place to get around and there's no language barrier obviously! You don't have the flexibility of independent travel either. The only time where I think a tour may help with you is for Ayers Rock - you could do a 3-day tour where you go to The Olgas & Kings Canyon as well as Ayers Rock itself -this would include all the travelling times as well. But that of depends if you want to spend that amount of time on one thing, when you have all the east coast to do as well.
    If you use the Greyhound/Oz Experience buses, they give you a lot more flexibility than a tour. With some of these you can't backtrack, though - you have to carry on to different places. This might be useful to you though, if say you arrive in Sydney, fly to and from Ayers Rock, and then work you way up the east coast, flying back to Britain from Cairns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Only problem with the beach at Cairns, or anywhere in tropical Queensland, is that you can't actually swim there because of box jellyfish - one of the most poisonous creatures on earth. If he wants beaches where he can swim and/or surf, on the east coast still, I'd recommend Byron Bay or Sydney (or a trip out to the Whitsunday Islands, from Airlie Beach.)

In Singapore I met a guy who had just been on a two-week holiday to Australia, and managed to go to pretty much all of the east coast - the Whitsundays, Fraser Island, the Barrier Reef, Sydney, Byron Bay, Brisbane, Cairns. The only thing he didn't manage to do is Ayers Rock, but the OP should easily be able to fit it in if he uses a local flight (assuming he goes for a fortnight, not a week.) What this guy did was use the Oz Experience buses, and specially booked the journeys for overnight, so that he got more out of the daytimes and was saved having to book as many nights in hostels into the bargain. Obviously he had some nights in hostels, to recharge batteries and to use as bases, but from the sounds of it, it did save him some money and time.
    It's only certain times of the year with the jellyfish though. I was there (Port Douglas) in May and was in the water but when I visited in Feb-April it was a no-no. Plus, there's not really much of a beach in Cairns.

Airlie/Whitsunday and Fraser would be on my must see list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonMinx)
    It's only certain times of the year with the jellyfish though. I was there (Port Douglas) in May and was in the water but when I visited in Feb-April it was a no-no. Plus, there's not really much of a beach in Cairns.

Airlie/Whitsunday and Fraser would be on my must see list.
    True - though from the sounds of it the OP wants to go pretty soon. It's box jellyfish season at the moment, during their summer - it lasts from at least November through to about the end of February or even April.

Fraser Island, and Cape Tribulation much further north, are practically the only places on the east coast I didn't manage to get to. They're definitely on my list for visiting in the future!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm definitely set for 2weeks and i guess I'll be out the water since I'm looking to go around March-April.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm definitely set for 2weeks and i guess I'll be out the water since I'm looking to go around March-April.
    Flight costs start becoming a lot cheaper around April (all the special offers you see on STA travel etc. don't normally begin until then) so that would be a good time to go.

From what I understand, the areas further south like Sydney etc. are all fine to swim in.

ReputationRep:
    The jellyfish are only a problem in Northern Territory and the top half of Queensland & Western Australia - there aren't box jellyfish in New South Wales, where Sydney and Byron Bay are Sydney has some great beaches, and Byron Bay is brilliant (especially if you like surfing)!

ReputationRep:
    IN australia if you swim between flags, you will not have any problem..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.