Turn on thread page Beta

I love him, I want him, I need him. watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been casually dating a guy for a couple of months now, going to the cinema, restaurants, and sleeping together etc... but I've made the mistake of falling in love with him . Yesterday morning, when I was on the phone with him, I told him I was falling for him. He was very quiet, then made up an excuse and hung up. A couple of hours later he texted me inviting me to dinner.

So we had dinner, and an incredibly awkward conversation. He told me he really liked me and that he cared about me a lot, but that he wasn't head over heels in love with me. He is a hopeless romantic, and in his view, in order for a relationship to be successful both people must be completely infatuated and in love. He told his best friend (who then told me) that he "had no doubt a relationship would work out well", yet it seems like he's extremely hesitant to commit because he's not infatued with me.

He was very sweet, and told me that the last thing he wanted to do was hurt me or lead me on, and that he couldn't predict what he'd feel in the future. I offered him a casual relationship, but being so romantic, he refused, and said that he would love to go out to the cinema and stuff with me and that we were just friends, and that we'd see where it goes.

I am completely in love with him and I realise I can't force him to want a relationship, yet he tells his friends- and me- that he really likes me, and from my (and his friends') analysis, it seems like he's waiting for a fairytale romance instead of giving it a shot with me because he wants to be in love before actually being in a relationship. Is there anything I can do about it? Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, sounds pretty odd to me. Like, he's waiting for something that isn't going to turn up. Maybe he just doesn't feel that 'spark' that some people need to feel for a relationship to work?

ReputationRep:
    mistake 1: sleeping with him
    makes things a whole lot worse, feelings get involved and they develop etc.

it is really is just a waiting game, if you love him as much as you say you do, you wouldn't force him and wait

ReputationRep:
    All these threads got boirng, i think ill take a brake from tsr :cool:

ReputationRep:
    He sounds like an idiot if he wants to be in love with you before he gets into a relationship. Are you sure you're in love?

ReputationRep:
    just use him for sex
    and if he doesnt love you

bite his balls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manon)
    I've been casually dating a guy for a couple of months now, going to the cinema, restaurants, and sleeping together etc... but I've made the mistake of falling in love with him . Yesterday morning, when I was on the phone with him, I told him I was falling for him. He was very quiet, then made up an excuse and hung up. A couple of hours later he texted me inviting me to dinner.

So we had dinner, and an incredibly awkward conversation. He told me he really liked me and that he cared about me a lot, but that he wasn't head over heels in love with me. He is a hopeless romantic, and in his view, in order for a relationship to be successful both people must be completely infatuated and in love. He told his best friend (who then told me) that he "had no doubt a relationship would work out well", yet it seems like he's extremely hesitant to commit because he's not infatued with me.

He was very sweet, and told me that the last thing he wanted to do was hurt me or lead me on, and that he couldn't predict what he'd feel in the future. I offered him a casual relationship, but being so romantic, he refused, and said that he would love to go out to the cinema and stuff with me and that we were just friends, and that we'd see where it goes.

I am completely in love with him and I realise I can't force him to want a relationship, yet he tells his friends- and me- that he really likes me, and from my (and his friends') analysis, it seems like he's waiting for a fairytale romance instead of giving it a shot with me because he wants to be in love before actually being in a relationship. Is there anything I can do about it? Any advice?

Hmmm this is a fandango. Is it possible for you to distance yourself for two weeks or so? If you weren't around i.e. because you're really busy with work or you've gone on holiday etc then its likely that he'd be able to figure out how he really feels for certain. It also might give you some time to think about the relationship, because your stepping away from the situation. The space would do both of you so much good, and it's possible that he could really miss you whilst your gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    He sounds like an idiot if he wants to be in love with you before he gets into a relationship. Are you sure you're in love?
    He's never been in a relationship before, and he is very idealistic and romantic, so he has a lot of preconceived notions of what relationships should be like. It's so frustrating, he acknowldges that he can see it working, yet because he's not 110% sure that I am definitely the right person he won't give me a chance... and yes I am positive I'm in love with him.

ReputationRep:
    lol, the title reminded me of meat loaf

ReputationRep:
    There is noting you can do im afraid! the ball is in his court. you have played your hand and now he will play his own and decide what he wants to do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Two out of three ain't bad, no on a serious note give him a little bit of space for a day and see how he reacts then.

ReputationRep:
    So he wants to be certain that he does in fact really really like you...

I can sort of understand him.

He's probably just being a bit of a weirdo.

If you avoid him for a little while, it should trigger some sort of decision - probably a "I realise I want this girl" type reaction.

I'd be a little err dubious if I were you though.. "hopeless romantic" - can't have a relationship without "true love" but he's happy to **** and run?

(just saying )

ReputationRep:
    Just find someone else? Use the old make him jealous technique.

ReputationRep:
    the title is so gay

This happened to me except I knew it had definitely ended because he was tagged on facebook eating some girl's face, his mum saw the photos, and made him talk to me about it....

ReputationRep:
    This guy is a legend he has basically been using you and you still think he is a fantastic guy, you have been played

ReputationRep:
    ok maybe he likes you as he says he does but not everyone loves someone within two months of going out and dating, you know when somthing is serious in a realtonship but sleeeping with him is a bad idea for a start because you will be the on ehtat gets hurt, its a personal thing sleeing with someoneespeshaily if you love him and he dosent love you. You can do two things carry on dating him but not sleeping with him and hold back or just call it a day .

ReputationRep:
    Oh ffs, it's an infactuation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.