Turn on thread page Beta

Addicted to Mephedrone watch

I first tried Mephedrone in october when i was offered a line by my friend, i only did a line and i really enjoyed it so when i found out it was legal and easily accessable i thought it was amazing. I started out just buying a gram to take to parties or to go out, but pretty soon i just started using it when just sitting around the house. I go through at least a gram a week and it would be more if i could afford it. I go on 24 hours binges, not stopping until it has all gone. When i came home for Christmas it was all icould think about, i only lasted a week before i snapped and ordered some and did it as soon as it arrived, which happened to be the day i was going out shopping with my sister, so i was just running into changing rooms, toilets, anywhere to do a line and hoped she wouldn't notice.

I ordered 3 grams seperately a couple of weeks ago so that they'd all arrive on different days, but due to the snow all mail was backed up so i was stuck without and craving badly for near enough 2 weeks. I went back to uni on wednesday to hand in some assignments and the meph arrived on thursday, i got a phone call off my dad asking me if he could open my letters incase it was anything important, i told him no and luckily he didn't. Friday night my friend at uni who i do this with surprised me by saying she had 2 grams for us to take that night and i was extatic. I stayed up all night taking it and caught a train back home in the morning.

Saturday night i just couldn't fight the urge to start on the 3 grams i had ordered, so i started taking at about 8. At 2 i decided to make it my last line and to swallow a load too. By 2.30 my arms and legs were covered in red rashes, my knees were blue and the veins in my hands were showing up very red. I paniced and phoned NHS direct because this had never happened to me before. The nurse had never heard of Mephedrone and because its so new there was no information on it so she phoned me an ambulance. My parents were asleep and i was determined not to let them find out so i stood by the door and walked up to the ambulance when it arrived. The Paramedics were not impressed that i was hiding it from my parents and understandably gave me a lecture on drugs.

I was taken into the hospital and kept under observation for 3 hours. None of the Doctors or Nurses had heard of mephedrone and had to look up side effects on the internet. My heart rate was ranging from 96-136 bpm going up rapidly in a matter of seconds if i just moved my arm. I could see all the nurses and doctors looking at my stats at their desk looking shocked and saying they'd never seen anything like it. I was discharged at arounf 5.30 when my stats started to improve and i managed to get back without my parents knowing.

Then last night i just couldn't stop the urge to finish off the rest of it, there was about just under 2 grams left and i was taking it from 8pm-8am. My nose was red raw and bleeding but i just couldn't stop taking more until it was finished.

I'm really worried now, this is starting to take over my life and i have no idea what its doing to my body due to the lack of research. What should i do?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, im in college and im no stranger to this drug, EVERYONE is taking it.
    Ive opted for the wise decision of not even trying it AT ALL.
    Im sorry to hear this story it literally does sound like it has taken over your life, my advice would be to seek help from your GP or someone, even contact FRANK, this drug will have terrible long term effects, scientists are working on discovering these as we speak. In the short term though i suggest you block the sites that sell Mkat, and tell your friends you want to stop with their support, maybe try and quit together, stay in touch
    -Hodgy

Thanks for the advice. It is shocking how wide spread and well known this drug has become! I went to a party last month and alot of people in there were taking it. The cheapness, easy access and quality of it has made it more popular than buying illegal drugs now which are cut with loads of things and the scarceness of MDMA too.

I'm going to go see my GP and ask for advice, i never seen myself becoming this person and i'm just so disappointed in myself.

ReputationRep:
    That has become quite popular now :/ Going cold turkey will probably be a bit of a mission for you. If you can't kick it all at once try cutting down gradually because you are taking way too much. Definitely go to see your GP though

Yeah i had planned on giving up after refreshers week which is next week. I haven't told any of my friends what happened on friday because i would worry them, but i think if i carry on i will have to so they will know the severity of it and help me out, a couple are already starting to get worried understandably. I just fear that i will just replace this with something else when i quit, like smoking or eating heavily, which is obviously healthier than this but i just don't want to replace an addiction with another one

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, if you have to replace it with heavy smoking, do it, I did, and it worked. Drone ***** with your body and mind, its not worth it. I just stick to weed now as far as drugs go
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by AWZC)
    Honestly, if you have to replace it with heavy smoking, do it, I did, and it worked. Drone ***** with your body and mind, its not worth it. I just stick to weed now as far as drugs go
    Your sig tells me I could know you and now I'm curious to see if I do

ReputationRep:
    By being irresponsible, you're ruining it for everyone else.

The government will no doubt ban this soon, and it's entirely because of irresponsible teens being too open about it or ending up in A+E, thus giving it unwanted media coverage.

With regards to help, I can suggest cannabis use will help you to stop using it. Your GP will know nothing, don't bother. You'd be better off consulting Research Chemical forums.

(Original post by Tetrahydro)
    By being irresponsible, you're ruining it for everyone else.

The government will no doubt ban this soon, and it's entirely because of irresponsible teens being too open about it or ending up in A+E, thus giving it unwanted media coverage.

With regards to help, I can suggest cannabis use will help you to stop using it. Your GP will know nothing, don't bother. You'd be better off consulting Research Chemical forums.
    Well if a drug is capable of causing stuff like this to happen it shouldn't be made readily available, cheaply off the internet with little to no research being done on it. The only information we have on it are peoples experiences. It's easy to say that we're ruining it for other people but do you really want to be putting something like this into your body if you know it can lead to all this **** happening off of little more than a gram in 12 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well if a drug is capable of causing stuff like this to happen it shouldn't be made readily available, cheaply off the internet with little to no research being done on it.
    It is a research chemical for a reason. If you want to use it recreationally, you should research it first. Reports of changes in the colour of limbs are common with the use of more than 1g. It is your fault for not doing adequate research, and for overdoing it. That said, most young people don't bother researching it, so perhaps it shouldn't be so readily available for them. But the fact is, if everybody was responsible, did their research and gradually learned their limits, there would be no problem.

Learn your lesson: treat drugs with respect.

Regardless, it is very chemically similar in structure to methcathinone and, MDMA to an extent, so there has been plenty of indirect research on it. The adverse effects are essentially the same to that of ecstasy or khat.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    The only information we have on it are peoples experiences. It's easy to say that we're ruining it for other people but do you really want to be putting something like this into your body if you know it can lead to all this **** happening off of little more than a gram in 12 hours.
    Well I've used it responsibly many times in the past and have had no problem, nor has anybody I know. It's not Russian Roulette, if you understand basic chemistry and can gauge its likely adversities from similarly structured drugs.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear your addicted to MMCAT, that stuff is mental.
    you say that you dont know the long term affects well you are most likely to be admitted to a psychiatric ward for hallucinations and anxiety, plus how on earth can you study at college or uni wherever if all your thinking about is "bubbles"

(Original post by Tetrahydro)
    It is a research chemical for a reason. If you want to use it recreationally, you should research it first. Reports of changes in the colour of limbs are common with the use of more than 1g. It is your fault for not doing adequate research, and for overdoing it. That said, most young people don't bother researching it, so perhaps it shouldn't be so readily available for them. But the fact is, if everybody was responsible, did their research and gradually learned their limits, there would be no problem.

Learn your lesson: treat drugs with respect.

Regardless, it is very chemically similar in structure to methcathinone and, MDMA to an extent, so there has been plenty of indirect research on it. The adverse effects are essentially the same to that of ecstasy or khat.

Well I've used it responsibly many times in the past and have had no problem, nor has anybody I know. It's not Russian Roulette, if you understand basic chemistry and can gauge its likely adversities from similarly structured drugs.
    I have gradually built my tolerance up since October, i didn't start on doing over a gram a night i started on only doing a few lines. Then me and a friend would share a gram over a night and there would be some left over. My tolerance soon built up so i've been having to do longer lines to get a fuller effect. The reason for this happening on Saturday was due to me not moving around alot, when i normally do it i'm doing something or go for walks, but as i was confined to my room this time i didn't get much movement. It also didn't help that i'd done it the night before too and was running on no sleep.

I did do research into it when i bought it to see the recommended amount to snort, how often etc, read the side effects but this one doesn't come up too often on many pages, other than forums when people describe what happened.

(Original post by twihard!)
    oh dear your addicted to MMCAT, that stuff is mental.
    you say that you dont know the long term affects well you are most likely to be admitted to a psychiatric ward for hallucinations and anxiety, plus how on earth can you study at college or uni wherever if all your thinking about is "bubbles"
    Lets just say i'm not doing too well this year because of it, luckily its only ruined 1 semester so far and i'm determined not to let it ruin the next.

ReputationRep:
    if you're going through this i dare say some of your mates who are doing it will be too. maybe not to these extremes but still. if you tell them about whats happening to you it might put them off taking it and you can help each other to stop. id definately speak to someone whos experienced the drug and its side effects though, especially if GP's and doctors can't give any advice

ReputationRep:
    Intended effects
    According to the company Crew2000, intended effects include increased alertness, euphoria, excitement, feeling of stimulation, urge to talk, and openness.

Side effects
    According to the Darlington Drug and Alcohol Action Team it can cause nose bleeds, nose burns, hallucinations, blood circulation problems, rashes, anxiety, paranoia, fits and delusions.[1] According to the company Crew2000, other problems may include poor concentration, poor short-term memory, tachycardia, palpitations, anxiety, depression, hyperhidrosis, mydriasis, trismus, and bruxism.

A survey conducted by the National Addiction Centre, UK found that 51% of mephedrone users said they suffered from headaches, 43% from heart palpitations, 27% from nausea and 15% from cold or blue fingers.

Long-term effects
    The BBC News reported that one person who used the drug for 18 months, in the end using it twice a week, had to be admitted to a psychiatric unit after he started experiencing hallucinations, agitation, excitability and mania.[16] Almost nothing is known about the long term effects of the drug due to the short history of its use.

The side effects listed there would put me of using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_cool)
    Intended effects
    According to the company Crew2000, intended effects include increased alertness, euphoria, excitement, feeling of stimulation, urge to talk, and openness.

Side effects
    According to the Darlington Drug and Alcohol Action Team it can cause nose bleeds, nose burns, hallucinations, blood circulation problems, rashes, anxiety, paranoia, fits and delusions.[1] According to the company Crew2000, other problems may include poor concentration, poor short-term memory, tachycardia, palpitations, anxiety, depression, hyperhidrosis, mydriasis, trismus, and bruxism.

A survey conducted by the National Addiction Centre, UK found that 51% of mephedrone users said they suffered from headaches, 43% from heart palpitations, 27% from nausea and 15% from cold or blue fingers.

Long-term effects
    The BBC News reported that one person who used the drug for 18 months, in the end using it twice a week, had to be admitted to a psychiatric unit after he started experiencing hallucinations, agitation, excitability and mania.[16] Almost nothing is known about the long term effects of the drug due to the short history of its use.

The side effects listed there would put me of using it.
    copy and pasted from wikipedia yay

ReputationRep:
    I've never snorted Mephedrone, only swallowed it - and i've never got addicted.

This is such a common story among people I know, tis a shame.

I'd say watch Requiem for a Dream and try therapy, hypnosis might help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twihard!)
    copy and pasted from wikipedia yay
    Yup:top:, didnt exactly take long to find eithier.

On a serious note OP, maybe telling your friends what happended to you would be a good thing to reduce the amount or stop them from taking it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_cool)
    Yup:top:, didnt exactly take long to find eithier.

On a serious note OP, maybe telling your friends what happended to you would be a good thing to reduce the amount or stop them from taking it
    haha yaaas i looked it up too i was intrigued :L

ReputationRep:
    Ah Mephedrone, aka MIAOW! My housemates are obsessed with this, one of them has just bought 50g to make a bit of a profit out of.

The housemates can't get enough of staying up all night on this stuff and then well into the next day. Bloody druggies, call me old fashioned, but what's wrong with sticking to 10 pints of lager then passing out by 3am?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.