Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ok kind of a long story.

I'm 18, when I was 14 I met a boy and really fell for him (He's about 3 years older than me). At that point in time I never thought I'd have a chance with him because he never got into serious relationships, but I still liked him a lot and even though it sounds stupid I guess I fell in love with him.

Around the time he was applying to university his parents broke up and he moved away with his mum, because of this his put off going to university in order to look after her, he worked some odd jobs making a small amount of money until she decided to go back to work. Over this time we stayed in touch but because he lived far away we never got to meet up, and eventually we stopped talking completely. I've had relationships over this time, but I feel as though he's always somewhere in the back of my mind.

In August 2009 he moved in with one of his friends in London and right now they're still sharing a flat, his friend is working but also studying part time. Because he's now in the area we started meeting up more and in December he started telling me about how he wanted to settle down, get back into studying and find someone special.

Over the last few months we got closer and closer, and it almost felt like he never left at all because it was like old times. I asked him to apply to university at the same time as I did and, after a lot of nagging on my part, he did.

The thing is, if someone does bug him constantly he will work hard and do well, I know because when he did his A levels under his parents supervision he did really well, but his flatmate doesn't really care enough to be the one getting him to work all the time.

So I suggested he moved in with me for a while, so that in a way I can look after him and make sure he does something with his time and actually bothers to reply to university offers etc. It's normally just me and my dad at home, and sometimes if he's away it's just me. So my dad doesn't mind him moving in.

When I discussed this with him he said it sounded like a good idea, and we've agreed that after I finish my January exams he'll be moving in.

Last week we met up and he asked me to be his girlfriend, I said yes and at first I was really happy (because I've liked him for so long and never thought this would happen). But after he went back home the feeling sort of... faded, I guess.

I know I should be really happy that we're together, but I'm not. I guess part of it is probably exam stress, but also he frustrates me a lot of the time because he's so carefree and because he has no direction in life. I still want him to move in with me because when I suggested that I wanted to be there for him as a friend, not a girlfriend.

To be honest, part of me wants us to break up and just be friends, because I'm not sure how I'd cope with a breakup if he was living with me.

But like I said maybe I'm just stressed and after exams are over I'll be really happy with him and maybe we'll have a really good relationship?

So what would you do in my situation? Would you break up with him? Or wait until exams finish and he moves in to see how things go?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.