My right speaker is hissing when I turn it up above half volume? Has it died on me?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
byb3
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
I've been playing my music pretty loud at uni and think I've finally killed my right speaker. I mean its fine at less than half volume (but thats no fun) but about 30 seconds after you turn it up over half volume it begins hissing all the time. Pretty annoying. New speakers?

Adam
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
Without knowing what system you have (I need RMS wattage figures into 8 ohm) it would be hard to say what has happened. Either way the easiest way to blow up speakers is by connected them to amp that does not have enough power to drive them. If they have been clipping (distorting) it is likely that the voice coil has slowly being melting.

With you saying you need it the volume above half way that suggests it may be a cheap system. On mine you get around 120db when the volume is on 10 o'clock positition but then I do have a £800 HIFI seperates system.
byb3
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Without knowing what system you have (I need RMS wattage figures into 8 ohm) it would be hard to say what has happened. Either way the easiest way to blow up speakers is by connected them to amp that does not have enough power to drive them. If they have been clipping (distorting) it is likely that the voice coil has slowly being melting.

With you saying you need it the volume above half way that suggests it may be a cheap system. On mine you get around 120db when the volume is on 10 o'clock positition but then I do have a £800 HIFI seperates system.
well relatively it is pretty cheap compared to yours, only £50. I am pretty sure my darling speaker has died. Oh the times we've had together.

Adam
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
lol yes thats the problem. You get what you pay for. Yov've basicaly melted the voice coil on the woofer as there was not enough power for that poor speaker.

You may have also damaged the output transistor on the amp section, plug on headphones into your system and check the right channel works.

Its quite rare but it does happen if the transistors get too hot.
X
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (31)
20.81%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (70)
46.98%
First aid skills (14)
9.4%
Personal safety skills (4)
2.68%
Sign language (16)
10.74%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (11)
7.38%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.01%

Watched Threads