Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there any hidden GCSE requirements you didn't meet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Are there any hidden GCSE requirements you didn't meet?
    Don't think so - I think i had good GCSEs and a friend has been offered a place on the Exeter Law course, which is more competitive, and he has poorer GCSE grades than me. I am going to ring them tomorrow and see what they say

ReputationRep:
    Don't you put "Pending" on for your AS levels anyway? so they shouldn't be the reason why. Most likely it's been a busy year for the course there and many people had AAA or even higher, and even though you were told your PS was very strong - a lot of other people also too have very strong personal statements too.
    Don't get too down on it and look at your other offers

ReputationRep:
    Dairy Milky Chocolate made a good point in her quotes.... want to put that straight? What were your GCSEs exactly, have you met all SUBJECT requirements (e.g. studying French?) and maybe they had lots of applicants the same as you, but were predicted A*AA instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edsmith565)
    Just got a rejection from Exeter, and i thought it was pretty wierd tbh
    :|

I applied for the International Relations with French Course, for which the entry requirements are stated as AAB-ABB

On my UCAS decision letter, the reason given for rejection was:

"Did not meet entry requirements"

I can't really understand why they would give this reason for my rejection. I am predicted AAB at A2 which i should get easily, and have several A*s at GCSE. Trying not to sound arrogant but all my references were good, and my teachers agreed that my personal statement was very strong. I also got Work Experiance in a French Law firm last summer, and did DofE Gold etc. With this is mind is it worth calling them up and questioning their decision when my predicted grades (AAB) match the upper ones given by them as entry requirements supposedly "do not meet entry requirements"?

Any ideas?
    Sorry im just a bit confused right now :confused:
    First the OP, then the post! They were right to reject you, you can't even spell 'weird'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdwakkidolli)
    Dairy Milky Chocolate made a good point in her quotes.... want to put that straight? What were your GCSEs exactly, have you met all SUBJECT requirements (e.g. studying French?) and maybe they had lots of applicants the same as you, but were predicted A*AA instead?
    Yes i guess she did raise some very good points.
    My exact GCSEs were by no means amazing but i thought they were a decent set of results. I got:
    2 x A* (English lang, History)
    3 x A (English Lit, French, R.E)
    6 x B (ICT, Economics, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Technology)
    1 x C (Biology)

And i have seen friends with poorer AS/GCSE results get places on the Law course which is more competitive. I dont see why my grades are considered "below" the requirement when they exceed that (ABB) given as the minimum in the prospectus etc. The only specific subject requirement is French at Grade B which i have. Just so confused :confused:

And can everyone stop highlighting that i spelt Weird wrong, just a typo

ReputationRep:
    a typo you made twice....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dairy Milky Chocolate)
    :rolleyes:
    Good work my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinytinygirl)
    Good work my friend.
    ???

Im sorry if i come across the wrong way in this thread. I accept that i have been rejected but i just don't understand the reason given for the rejection lol. Just a bit confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    At AS i got BBBC. The C was Economics which has since been dropped and the B grades were History, French and English Lit. Both French & History were a matter of 4/5 marks off the grade so i retook them last week and i think both went pretty well My teachers expect these grades to go up, and have shown this in my predictions. Not sure whether they would count against me to the fact that i would get rejected.

Some people at my school have got offers with incredibly generous predictions...
    Are you a troll or just really stupid?

ReputationRep:
    ???

Im sorry if i come across the wrong way in this thread. I accept that i have been rejected but i just don't understand the reason given for the rejection lol. Just a bit confused :confused:
    Why are you asking us then? All we can do is speculate. Go ask Exeter yourself, they're the only ones who will give you the definitive answer, especially if you're saying other people got accepted for more competitive subjects with poorer grades.

ReputationRep:
    Wierd Rejection from Exeter?

I laughed so much - thank you for that.

If you don't like it just ring them - it's part of their job to deal with calls like that. Man up.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they think you won't accept the place.

I think that is a general line that UCAS use and I wouldn't read too much into it.

There could be a million reasons. (Did you spell check your statement btw?)

Move on- I'm sure you'll find a place you're happy with.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they are full up on rah's and don't have any need for more? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Phone to find out can't hurt
    But i suppose it relied on other aspects not just your grades maybe they just knid had other people they preferred ...not saying theres anything wrong with you but its their choice i guess
    ask for a better explanation ...they could have mixed up your grades they mixed up my friends saying they werent on the application when they obviously are check it out !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salparadise)
    Are you saying that anyone who gets those grades at AS is stupid? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varciani)
    Are you saying that anyone who gets those grades at AS is stupid? :rolleyes:
    The mininum requirements are AAB and I'm sure Exeter realise how dubious 'predicted grades' are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salparadise)
    Yes please explain. Thats sounds like a pretty rash assumption, which i could in turn consider "really stupid". I think my grades are quite good given the background i come from...

ReputationRep:
    Just got a rejection from Exeter, and i thought it was pretty wierd tbh
    :|

I applied for the International Relations with French Course, for which the entry requirements are stated as AAB-ABB

On my UCAS decision letter, the reason given for rejection was:

"Did not meet entry requirements"

I can't really understand why they would give this reason for my rejection. I am predicted AAB at A2 which i should get easily, and have several A*s at GCSE. Trying not to sound arrogant but all my references were good, and my teachers agreed that my personal statement was very strong. I also got Work Experiance in a French Law firm last summer, and did DofE Gold etc. With this is mind is it worth calling them up and questioning their decision when my predicted grades (AAB) match the upper ones given by them as entry requirements supposedly "do not meet entry requirements"?

Any ideas?
    Sorry im just a bit confused right now :confused:
    phone them up for sure! buggers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    Ha they gave me an offer of AAB and I got ABCE at AS. And i didn't even mention the subject on my PS. :s
    Because biochem isnt the most competitive subject there is out there....

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.