Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would really appreciate some advice. I am in my 1st year at Keele at the moment, studying BA Politics & Sociology, the uni isn't really what I expected and I would really like to transfer to Manchester or another uni if possible for the 2nd year. Is this possible?

I am technically a mature student (21) and didn't complete a-levels but did an OU course instead, not sure if this would affect my chances? also what would be the process?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to email any unis you're interested in to see if they'll accept you and what their entry requirements will be for transfer students. You then have to apply again through UCAS and the normal deadline applies (15th Jan), but the uni may accept late applications.

ReputationRep:
    Bad times for wanting to leave Keele

And give Manchester a ring and see what they say. If some of the modules are similar then there may not be a problem with it.

Once you have a decision from Manchester, speak to your Personal Tutor and explain the situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    You'll need to email any unis you're interested in to see if they'll accept you and what their entry requirements will be for transfer students. You then have to apply again through UCAS and the normal deadline applies (15th Jan), but the uni may accept late applications.
    The deadline has been extended to 22nd Jan this year, so in a way it's good that you've decided this earlier - but it's still tight. Maybe ring up unis you're interested in for quicker replies. Contact your Personal tutor too for some extra advice, if possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardog32)
    Would really appreciate some advice. I am in my 1st year at Keele at the moment, studying BA Politics & Sociology, the uni isn't really what I expected and I would really like to transfer to Manchester or another uni if possible for the 2nd year. Is this possible?

I am technically a mature student (21) and didn't complete a-levels but did an OU course instead, not sure if this would affect my chances? also what would be the process?

thanks
    Use search function next time as your question is one lots of students ask.

Mature means nothing and OU course; same as if you applied as a potential student - the uni you want to transfer to would consider you like any applicant and how youre doing on your current course wont affect theyre decision unless youre doing poorly.

Whether you can go into the 2nd year is another thing - you would need to have done the same mods in your first year at your uni as they do at the other or enough to carry the others into your 2nd year, at their discretion.

The process - you call up the other uni's admission advisor in the correct faculty and explain it all and ask. Theyll tell you their side of the process, if alls agreed you need to finish your year then do their process and change of circs to the Student Finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Use search function next time as your question is one lots of students ask.

Mature means nothing and OU course; same as if you applied as a potential student - the uni you want to transfer to would consider you like any applicant and how youre doing on your current course wont affect theyre decision unless youre doing poorly.

Whether you can go into the 2nd year is another thing - you would need to have done the same mods in your first year at your uni as they do at the other or enough to carry the others into your 2nd year, at their discretion.

The process - you call up the other uni's admission advisor in the correct faculty and explain it all and ask. Theyll tell you their side of the process, if alls agreed you need to finish your year then do their process and change of circs to the Student Finance.
    Thanks for that. Trouble is I've studied two quite obscure elective modules this year (media and french) would this mean I wouldn't be transferrable do you think?

deadline is on Friday woah :woo:

(Original post by Laurah5498)
    Bad times for wanting to leave Keele

And give Manchester a ring and see what they say. If some of the modules are similar then there may not be a problem with it.

Once you have a decision from Manchester, speak to your Personal Tutor and explain the situation
    Thanks not really blaming Keele, just me having a really ***** year, I really would like a fresh start if possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardog32)
    Thanks for that. Trouble is I've studied two quite obscure elective modules this year (media and french) would this mean I wouldn't be transferrable do you think?

deadline is on Friday woah :woo:
    Usually you don't have to have done exactly the same modules. I was going to transfer next year and Exeter said I had to have around two thirds of my modules with the same/very similar content to their modules.

Phone Manchester tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Usually you don't have to have done exactly the same modules. I was going to transfer next year and Exeter said I had to have around two thirds of my modules with the same/very similar content to their modules.

Phone Manchester tomorrow
    Actually usually you do for a lot of subjects or they wont take you in that year, it all depends what subject and media and french are v.obscure for a double degree in politics and sociology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Actually usually you do for a lot of subjects or they wont take you in that year, it all depends what subject and media and french are v.obscure for a double degree in politics and sociology.
    I meant usually not all of your modules have to be exactly the same as the first year at the other uni, seeing as unis vary in what they teach. For most art degrees the same modules aren't taught at seperate unis.
    Most of the modules will have to be the same or very similar but they could get away with 2 modules being unrelated. Obviously they'll have to check with Manchester as to what they will accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    I meant usually not all of your modules have to be exactly the same as the first year at the other uni, seeing as unis vary in what they teach. For most art degrees the same modules aren't taught at seperate unis.
    Most of the modules will have to be the same or very similar but they could get away with 2 modules being unrelated. Obviously they'll have to check with Manchester as to what they will accept.
    The first sentence is the opposite - seeing as unis vary in what they teach they check that youve done almost exactly the same or you cant go into the second year. Like I said, if you have a couple missing they may allow you to take them alongside your second year, but unis are very particular in that you almost certainly have to have done the same or youll have to start anew/carry them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.