Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Most of my final examinations have been essays and coursework, projects and things of that nature. However this Thursday I have a written exam - my first since I can remember - and I've done some revision. Despite struggling to motivate myself, we were told that the exam compromises of a section where a question will be asked about something that was taught to us in a particular lecture. In total there will be around a dozen such questions. We've had at least 30 hours worth of lectures and if you're lecturer is anything like mine, he speaks in lightning speed and doesn't stop for a breath.

On average I take down 3 A4 pages worth of notes per lecture. Now, I have to learn to recite (not revise) all those notes knowing that there will be around 10 specific questions. So of all those pages of notes, I'm looking for 10 pieces of information. I would have rather been told that the exam test your understanding of the core subjects (e.g. allow us to display how much we know) rather than test us how photographic our memory is. I mean seriously, I have a book of notes here and out of all those pages there are going to be 10 points needed of us to learn. The other section fortunately allows us to write mini-essays and show how much we actually understand.

I really despite exam structures like this. I miss doing English Lit

My entire experience with school has been this way. There are some subjects which only are interested in how many definitions and equations a student can remember, but not enough in actually their understanding of the subject and points.

ReputationRep:
    How much does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Exams really aren't the best way to judge a person's knowledge and understanding in subjects. But, I don't know what else there is that would be better...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, exams are just a memory test to see which students can just regurgitate facts on to their paper. It is possible to pass most exams without any understanding of the subject, but just a good memory :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I haven't had an exam in years. I graduated in July last year and I'm starting part-time next month... I'm hoping there's no exams, I much prefer assignments. I absolutely hate exams plus it won't help that I'm used to assignments/presentations

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger I sorta prefered the exam at the end counting for everything because then I didn't have to worry about my course work, but as I grew up and became an adult rather then a kid who was bored with school, I realized coursework evaluation is overall a much easier and accurate system for evaluation. I don't need to revise for assignments and I don't have to place all my bets on a couple of hours on one day and hoping I am feeling awake, well, and sufficiently crammed.

I suppose the current system where both evaluations are in play is better than nothing, I have a bit more room to duff up an exam, but its still annoying. Worst was a history exam I had when I couldn't remember any dates until near the end of my multi-page rant that is meant to pass as an exam essay. Somehow I did reasonably well, which is nice, but not fun!

I absolutely hate exams plus it won't help that I'm used to assignments/presentations
    The thought of standing up in public and giving a presentation used to really make me feel uncomfortable but when I did my first ever presentation I dunno, I just switched off and zombied through it and it was alright.

I agree, as strange as it sounds I'd rather stand in front of a large audience having to discuss a rather dry topic than do an exam about it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.