Turn on thread page Beta

Private Charges watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi not sure if i'm posting in the right place so forgive me. I was just wondering what Doctors/ nurses were allowed to charge for privately on the NHS? Also are there guidelines as to how much they can charge.

Thanks for any replies

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand the question! If the work is for the NHS then they don't charge.

If the work is private then they charge what they want. I imagine it is much the same as any other comodity. Costs + profit margin = price for patient!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Its either Private Healthcare or its the NHS.

There is no private charges on the national health service.

ReputationRep:
    Well basically I need some proof of immunizations I have had for an Occupational health check. I'm getting charged for it and i didn't really know about any private charges regarding this. So was a bit:eek:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by free_the_mind)
    Well basically I need some proof of immunizations I have had for an Occupational health check. I'm getting charged for it and i didn't really know about any private charges regarding this. So was a bit:eek:
    Ahh, dont you have the immunisation certificate you were given at the immunisation?

ReputationRep:
    In general practice you will only get charged for things that do not come under the remit of the NHS. An example would be a health check for life insurance purposes, another would be vaccinations for a holiday abroad. How much they charge is up to the individual practice. One would hope it is not too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Ahh, dont you have the immunisation certificate you were given at the immunisation?
    Well not for all of them.

Also was just curious as to where the money goes? I guess the health professional gets to keep it? It sounds like a grey area to me. :mad: Guess I will have to pay up.
    Thanks anyway for replies guys.

ReputationRep:

Also was just curious as to where the money goes? I guess the health professional gets to keep it? It sounds like a grey area to me. :mad: Guess I will have to pay up.
    From what I understand, it goes to the GP practice as they have to pay for a great deal of their equipment.

Or from what I've been told by one GP. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    NHS doesnt pay out to surgeries for certain menial things such as immunisations/ear peircing/immunisation records etc. Or it could only subsardise the cost. In these cases you have to pay to cover it.

So what you are paying has nothing to do with the NHS, you are buying an extra service provided by the doctor outside of the NHS.

ReputationRep:

Not all the money paid for private healthcare goes straight to the healthcare professionals. A lot of money is needed to cover themselves (insurance, etc.), rent the premises (if applicable) and the like. That's if I'm not mistaken, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    There is no private charges on the national health service.
    Pretty sure you can pay extra for a separate room in certain occassions?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what it is.

A DVLA cat C medical varies in cost from free to £180 so far as I have seen just though casually observing, normally I think its about £120.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    /ear peircing/
    what? a GP peircing someone's ear?
    or treating it when infected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    what? a GP peircing someone's ear?
    or treating it when infected?
    Propper ear peircing, like you might get at a beauty salon or something.

I thought it was weird too, but they offer it at my GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Propper ear peircing, like you might get at a beauty salon or something.

I thought it was weird too, but they offer it at my GP.
    haha! that is strange :p:

ReputationRep:
    haha! that is strange
    Safer than alot of hairdresses which do it. OP just bite the bullet and pay it £60 for hep B blood test soon :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Safer than alot of hairdresses which do it. OP just bite the bullet and pay it £60 for hep B blood test soon :mad:
    yeah i imagine it would be!
    (i got mine for free instead of £120 lool)

ReputationRep:
    yeah i imagine it would be!
    (i got mine for free instead of £120 lool)
    I dont want to know that the whole course of injections actually cost me :mad: so might aswell get the blood test aswell.......mams choice of bloody holiday destinations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    I dont want to know that the whole course of injections actually cost me :mad: so might aswell get the blood test aswell.......mams choice of bloody holiday destinations
    the prices are actually insane :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the cost of an occupational health check is for University at your doctor's?
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.