Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

This is ******* up my life.... watch

Announcements

Anon or delete please

I have this disability, very mild, however, I promised myself that I would lead a normal, happy life and not let this disability get the best of me. I have a good life, good quality friends etc. And even though I do have some physical limitations, I do not let them get the best of me. I am very religious, so there is also the spiritual relief. However, lately this one thing has been depressing me.....I can't write!!! this is not due to my disability btw (I don't think so anyway). Basically when I found out I cannot holdd a pen with my left hand as it tremors, I quickly taught myself to write with my right hand. this worked out fine, it got me through my GCSEs and A Levels. But with everyone, your non-dominent hand will never perform as good as your dominent hand. so my right hand, even though I thought it to write, it slowly deteriated. I am now in university, studying a not exactly hand friendly subject...mathematics. I am in 2nd year now, I have a scribe a extra time for exams and a note-taker for lectures. but it is well embarrassing, even like if i have to fill out like an application form or something, or at home if someone asks me to jot down a quick note or something.

This is making me so depressed...I have a good life, top grades, one of the smartest in my course, good quality friends etc, but this small **** is really ******* me up. ******* hell!!!

Thank you Dr TSR for listening to my rant - you are the best shrink

:beard: You sound like me, minus the hand thing. :sly:

Have you got it checked out? If it's deteriorating, it could be serious.

Got? Gotten? I don't know! :afraid: :woo:

Spoiler:
    Show
    P.S. Last year my legs started going numb (started in the feet then moved up :indiff:), so I got it checked out. Turns out it was just some swelling around ermm the motor neurones in my spine, so they gave me some dexamethasone to reduce the swelling (which started working really quickly), then I took some vitamin B12. Perhaps it's something like this? Unless it can't be treated, as cpj said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    I agree with this. You shouldn't just slowly stop being able to write - that's not normal.

However, if it's not something that can be treated, can you not see about using technology more? I can't remember the last time I wrote! Get a laptop/netbook, and use it to your full advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to feel embarrassed, the more fuss you make about it, the more people will notice. I can't really emphasise much, because I don't have difficulty writing, but I do get a lot of pain in joints etc, so I can understand that aspect. I would tell you closest friends about your tremor, how it affects you, and how they could help. If you don't have any really reliable friends you can count on, ring a support or advice group, and see if you can meet some people for a chat.

Also talk to you personal tutor, because although you have all the physical help, it seems it may be affecting your self esteem and mental health too. See a doctor also.

ReputationRep:
    Type instead?

ReputationRep:
    I know what would grreeaatt for you. Dragon Naturally Speaking for Windows, and MacSpeech Dictate for Mac. I will be getting these, they cost a bit, although I think you can get them on software4students, a discount website that sells Microsoft products.

You just literally talk to the computer, saves time, and hand pain. Wahayy! If you don't have a comp, you can get one off of the DSA fundings.

(Original post by + polarity -)
    :beard: You sound like me, minus the hand thing. :sly:

Got? Gotten? I don't know! :afraid: :woo:

Spoiler:
    Show
    P.S. Last year my legs started going numb (started in the feet then moved up :indiff:), so I got it checked out. Turns out it was just some swelling around ermm the motor neurones in my spine, so they gave me some dexamethasone to reduce the swelling (which started working really quickly), then I took some vitamin B12. Perhaps it's something like this? Unless it can't be treated, as cpj said.
    and the dwarfism.

(Original post by Sam656)
    and the dwarfism.
    Oh yeah that too. I doubt he's a dwarf.

But doesn't my hair make me not a dwarf? :cry:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.