Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A plank of wood AB has ass 12kg and length 5m. It rests in a horizontal position on two smooth supports. One support is at the end A. The other is at the point C, 0.5m from B. A girl of mass 30kg stands at B with the plank in equilibrium.

a) By modelling the plank as a uniform rod and the girl as a particle, find the reaction on the plank at A.

R = 19.6N

The girl gets off the plank. A boulder of mass mkg is placed on the plank at A and a man of mass 93kg stands on the plank at B. The plank remains in equilibrium and is on the point of tilting about C.

b) By modelling the plank again as a uniform rod, and the man and the boulder as particles, find the value of m.

Reaction at C = 392N
    Taking anticlockwise moments about B: -1/2R_C + (2.5 x 12g) + 49m
    1/2R_C = 294 + 49m
    R_C = 392,
    so 196 = 294 + 49m
    m = -2?

the books answer: m = 5

can somebody PLEASE tell me where i've gone wrong? its part b) where im stuck. the whole tilting at support C has me confused. it means that the reaction at A is 0, but i wasnt sure what to equate the moment about B to, so i just equated it to 0 because i saw the word equilibrium.

im desperate. +ve rep up for grab

thank you all!

ReputationRep:
    b)

take moments about C

4.5m+2x12=0.5x93
    4.5m=22.5
    m=5kg

I assume you got the right answer for part a?

Let me know if you want me to explain more.

ReputationRep:
    wow u made it look so simple lol..

do u know where i went wrong? im still going through my working trying to find out how i ended up with the wrong answer. it doesnt matter where u take moments right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumb maths student)
    A plank of wood AB has ass 12kg
    This made me giggle :woo:

ReputationRep:
    hahaha i didnt even notice that :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM1STRY)
    dearey me :rolleyes: lol :P
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by CHEM1STRY)

lol same, and I noticed it's you again!!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumb maths student)
    A plank of wood AB has ass 12kg and length 5m. It rests in a horizontal position on two smooth supports. One support is at the end A. The other is at the point C, 0.5m from B. A girl of mass 30kg stands at B with the plank in equilibrium.

a) By modelling the plank as a uniform rod and the girl as a particle, find the reaction on the plank at A.

R = 19.6N

The girl gets off the plank. A boulder of mass mkg is placed on the plank at A and a man of mass 93kg stands on the plank at B. The plank remains in equilibrium and is on the point of tilting about C.

b) By modelling the plank again as a uniform rod, and the man and the boulder as particles, find the value of m.

Reaction at C = 392N
    Taking anticlockwise moments about B: -1/2R_C + (2.5 x 12g) + 49m
    1/2R_C = 294 + 49m
    R_C = 392,
    so 196 = 294 + 49m
    m = -2?

the books answer: m = 5

can somebody PLEASE tell me where i've gone wrong? its part b) where im stuck. the whole tilting at support C has me confused. it means that the reaction at A is 0, but i wasnt sure what to equate the moment about B to, so i just equated it to 0 because i saw the word equilibrium.

im desperate. +ve rep up for grab

thank you all!
    First of all, I'm not sure what you have done. How did you get C to be 392? How'd you get -1? What does R_C mean? What does -1/2R_C mean?

I did it, and I got M to be 5. I took moments about C though. I dont know why you are taking moments about B, you're just making it harder for urself. If you take moments about a point where there is an unknown, then it will rule it out.

Take it at point C and see what you get.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.