Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Basically we're making our year nine choices and have been told to think about careers we would like to do in future. For quite long i have been intersted in PSHE and English. So i thought maybe being on a page of a magazine (not a top magazine, just a general women's one) would be a good job idea. Like a magazine editor (not editing of the whole magazine just a specific page) or staff writer, which would involve designing a page or 2 each time, replying to letters etc. I don't mean top journalism or fierce competition for editory of the WHOLE of top magazines. I hope you can all understand this. I really need some information about this job, qualifications you need etc...just for the future. I'm predicted A-A* for English GCSE and really enjoy it.
    Replies please,
    Ruth x

ReputationRep:
    http://mediacareers.about.com/od/med...zineEditor.htm
    http://careers.stateuniversity.com/p...-Magazine.html
    http://www.mookychick.co.uk/careers/magazine_editor.php
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2064411_beco...ne-editor.html

ReputationRep:
    Don't really think magazines have different editors for each page.

And 'editory' is not a word. Dear me, and you want to be an editor?

(Original post by 'Ruth)
    or staff writer, which would involve designing a page or 2 each time
    A writer does not design pages. A designer does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)

Give her a break ffs. She's in year nine.

Magazines can have different editors for each page. For example, if you headed the gaming page, the beauty page or the fashion page you would essentially be in charge of that specific section only.

And it really isn't that uncommon for, say, a fashion editor to write the copy (which, to be fair, is often basic and research-based) and design the page. In fact it is far better to be multi-talented - to be able to write, edit, do a bit of design - nowadays. So she really isn't that far off.

However, editory isn't a word OP. You mean magazine editing.

OP: you're very young to be thinking specifically about your career at this stage, and the magazine industry is currently going through a period of rapid change. How about you start by writing a few things for the school mag, see what you think? Also, do any of your family or friends work in the media industry? Perhaps have a word with them too?

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is PSHE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)

... and how does this help my career or future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HereFishyFishy)
    Give her a break ffs. She's in year nine.

Magazines can have different editors for each page. For example, if you headed the gaming page, the beauty page or the fashion page you would essentially be in charge of that specific section only.

And it really isn't that uncommon for, say, a fashion editor to write the copy (which, to be fair, is often basic and research-based) and design the page. In fact it is far better to be multi-talented - to be able to write, edit, do a bit of design - nowadays. So she really isn't that far off.

However, editory isn't a word OP. You mean magazine editing.

OP: you're very young to be thinking specifically about your career at this stage, and the magazine industry is currently going through a period of rapid change. How about you start by writing a few things for the school mag, see what you think? Also, do any of your family or friends work in the media industry? Perhaps have a word with them too?

Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice
    ..Yeah i wasnt sure what to call it in because people think i mean journalism for a huge magazine (honestly a lot of people got confused when i told them )
    I'll try the school magazine idea
    Oh and our teachers told us we all had to think of careers, i mean ffs we haven't even taken our GCSE's, gone to sixth form or anything! We're taking GCSE's this year though..everything's changing - it's too early, which i for one don't like much lol..i'll just have to put up with it :yep:
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    What on earth is PSHE?
    :giggle:
    It's personal social health education.
    ..All these new names :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou xx i'll look at them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'Ruth)
    ... and how does this help my career or future?
    It

a) tells you what's wrong with your plan
    and
    b) corrects you on words that you've made up, and that will be vital to your future, meaning that you really should learn them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    It

a) tells you what's wrong with your plan
    and
    b) corrects you on words that you've made up, and that will be vital to your future, meaning that you really should learn them.
    I know but tbh i wanted some advice on how to find jobs on this and maybe other people's experiences. So i don't mind her telling me what's wrong, but she could give me some advice as well like everyone else did.
    Thanks anyway though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'Ruth)
    :giggle:
    It's personal social health education.
    ..All these new names :rolleyes:
    Crikey, that's a mouthful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Crikey, that's a mouthful.
    Tell me about it :p:
    I think i'v found the right name for what i'm considering my future career lol: it's called Sub editing.
    Famous words of my English teacher

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.