Turn on thread page Beta

I would like a career in magazine editory... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Basically we're making our year nine choices and have been told to think about careers we would like to do in future. For quite long i have been intersted in PSHE and English. So i thought maybe being on a page of a magazine (not a top magazine, just a general women's one) would be a good job idea. Like a magazine editor (not editing of the whole magazine just a specific page) or staff writer, which would involve designing a page or 2 each time, replying to letters etc. I don't mean top journalism or fierce competition for editory of the WHOLE of top magazines. I hope you can all understand this. I really need some information about this job, qualifications you need etc...just for the future. I'm predicted A-A* for English GCSE and really enjoy it.
    Replies please,
    Ruth x

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? please help me this is important..

ReputationRep:
    If you dont mind how you get into the magazine industry, I hear than many men's magazines have a policy that says "TITS OR GTFO".
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Oh no..i didn't mean men's magazines lol.
    Lifestyle magazines and general ones, don't worry
    And thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Studying Media Studies would be beneficial to you.

One of the core modules i done was based on the Magazine industry

Hey Ruth!

I am currently looking at forging a road into editing and writing (not necessarily magazines, but I assume you'll need a similar background). For GCSE you will want to do Graphics as your technology. You won't necessarily need to do this at A-Level. If you're set on magazines, definitely take Media at A-Level. It's essential you do English Lit or Lang (or a combined course OR both) at A-Level too. A degree will be vital. I have a degree in English and excellent verbal reasoning skills (according to a recent aptitude test I took) so you'll need to ensure you've read widely and boost your vocab. Perhaps studying ICT or something similar would be useful - after all, most writing is done on the computer these days.

Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JR)
    Hey Ruth!

I am currently looking at forging a road into editing and writing (not necessarily magazines, but I assume you'll need a similar background). For GCSE you will want to do Graphics as your technology. You won't necessarily need to do this at A-Level. If you're set on magazines, definitely take Media at A-Level. It's essential you do English Lit or Lang (or a combined course OR both) at A-Level too. A degree will be vital. I have a degree in English and excellent verbal reasoning skills (according to a recent aptitude test I took) so you'll need to ensure you've read widely and boost your vocab. Perhaps studying ICT or something similar would be useful - after all, most writing is done on the computer these days.

Good luck! x
    Thankyou so much, this is by far the most useful reply to me. Unfortunately i have already chosen my GCSE choices which are too really important in general everyday life (it took me ages to narrow it down to 4 choices as that's all we're aloud besides the compulsery ones)
    - Geography (to know about my world)
    - French (essential)
    - Spanish (gives you a huge headstart with 2 languages on your CV)
    - Catering (i enjoy and an essential life skill too)
    I wish i could take media and graphics but not enough space
    I'll be sure to do what i can for A level though if it helps me a lot.
    Thanks again it was a lot of help :p: x

(Original post by 'Ruth)
    Thankyou so much, this is by far the most useful reply to me. Unfortunately i have already chosen my GCSE choices which are too really important in general everyday life (it took me ages to narrow it down to 4 choices as that's all we're aloud besides the compulsery ones)
    - Geography (to know about my world)
    - French (essential)
    - Spanish (gives you a huge headstart with 2 languages on your CV)
    - Catering (i enjoy and an essential life skill too)
    I wish i could take media and graphics but not enough space
    I'll be sure to do what i can for A level though if it helps me a lot.
    Thanks again it was a lot of help :p: x
    I wasn't suggesting Media as a GCSE, I didn't even know you could do it at GCSE level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JR)
    Hey Ruth!

Good luck! x
    :eek: it's JR! haha, should be amazing in this if i want a career in editing but i didnt even notice your username :o: lol.
    anyway yes just thought i'd mention that
    i'm too tired to think straight my brain's switching off :p:
    anyway i'm going to bed now, goodnight JR (still dont know your normal name haha)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JR)
    I wasn't suggesting Media as a GCSE, I didn't even know you could do it at GCSE level
    Oh yeah we have loads of new choices...it's all kicking off this year :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.