Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I would like a career in magazine editory... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Basically we're making our year nine choices and have been told to think about careers we would like to do in future. For quite long i have been intersted in PSHE and English. So i thought maybe being on a page of a magazine (not a top magazine, just a general women's one) would be a good job idea. Like a magazine editor (not editing of the whole magazine just a specific page) or staff writer, which would involve designing a page or 2 each time, replying to letters etc. I don't mean top journalism or fierce competition for editory of the WHOLE of top magazines. I hope you can all understand this. I really need some information about this job, qualifications you need etc...just for the future. I'm predicted A-A* for English GCSE and really enjoy it.
    Replies please,
    Ruth x

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? please help me this is important..

ReputationRep:
    If you dont mind how you get into the magazine industry, I hear than many men's magazines have a policy that says "TITS OR GTFO".
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Oh no..i didn't mean men's magazines lol.
    Lifestyle magazines and general ones, don't worry
    And thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Studying Media Studies would be beneficial to you.

One of the core modules i done was based on the Magazine industry

Hey Ruth!

I am currently looking at forging a road into editing and writing (not necessarily magazines, but I assume you'll need a similar background). For GCSE you will want to do Graphics as your technology. You won't necessarily need to do this at A-Level. If you're set on magazines, definitely take Media at A-Level. It's essential you do English Lit or Lang (or a combined course OR both) at A-Level too. A degree will be vital. I have a degree in English and excellent verbal reasoning skills (according to a recent aptitude test I took) so you'll need to ensure you've read widely and boost your vocab. Perhaps studying ICT or something similar would be useful - after all, most writing is done on the computer these days.

Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JR)
    Hey Ruth!

I am currently looking at forging a road into editing and writing (not necessarily magazines, but I assume you'll need a similar background). For GCSE you will want to do Graphics as your technology. You won't necessarily need to do this at A-Level. If you're set on magazines, definitely take Media at A-Level. It's essential you do English Lit or Lang (or a combined course OR both) at A-Level too. A degree will be vital. I have a degree in English and excellent verbal reasoning skills (according to a recent aptitude test I took) so you'll need to ensure you've read widely and boost your vocab. Perhaps studying ICT or something similar would be useful - after all, most writing is done on the computer these days.

Good luck! x
    Thankyou so much, this is by far the most useful reply to me. Unfortunately i have already chosen my GCSE choices which are too really important in general everyday life (it took me ages to narrow it down to 4 choices as that's all we're aloud besides the compulsery ones)
    - Geography (to know about my world)
    - French (essential)
    - Spanish (gives you a huge headstart with 2 languages on your CV)
    - Catering (i enjoy and an essential life skill too)
    I wish i could take media and graphics but not enough space
    I'll be sure to do what i can for A level though if it helps me a lot.
    Thanks again it was a lot of help :p: x

(Original post by 'Ruth)
    Thankyou so much, this is by far the most useful reply to me. Unfortunately i have already chosen my GCSE choices which are too really important in general everyday life (it took me ages to narrow it down to 4 choices as that's all we're aloud besides the compulsery ones)
    - Geography (to know about my world)
    - French (essential)
    - Spanish (gives you a huge headstart with 2 languages on your CV)
    - Catering (i enjoy and an essential life skill too)
    I wish i could take media and graphics but not enough space
    I'll be sure to do what i can for A level though if it helps me a lot.
    Thanks again it was a lot of help :p: x
    I wasn't suggesting Media as a GCSE, I didn't even know you could do it at GCSE level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JR)
    Hey Ruth!

Good luck! x
    :eek: it's JR! haha, should be amazing in this if i want a career in editing but i didnt even notice your username :o: lol.
    anyway yes just thought i'd mention that
    i'm too tired to think straight my brain's switching off :p:
    anyway i'm going to bed now, goodnight JR (still dont know your normal name haha)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JR)
    I wasn't suggesting Media as a GCSE, I didn't even know you could do it at GCSE level
    Oh yeah we have loads of new choices...it's all kicking off this year :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.