Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which of these would you advise me?

ive done S1 in june 2009 and got 75, ive done M1 and D1 3 days ago and from what i think both shud be nearly 90-100%. I will do M2 on the 29th of January and im quite confident with it as well...

however it is worth mentioning that i dont enjoy the applications units. ive fully taught myself FP1 and got 97% in it and yet ive got lessons for S1 and also learnt it at home but got 75% ... Im learning the real maths modules with quite big interest and although i think ill get good scores in M1,M2 and D1 - i have to say ive had one of the most boring times ever when learning those...

so having read all this, which of these would you advise me to take?

ReputationRep:
    s2 is just awful dont no about the others

ReputationRep:
    S2 is much easier than S1, simply because it's more interesting and has a better structure (well OCR MEI does, anyway :/)

Avoid Decision. It's not even real maths! It might be easy but it's so boring.

I'd vote for S2, but if you're up and are interested enough in it do M3

S2 in my experience (I went to a few lessons) is quite easy, so you could potentially pick up loads of marks.

M3 ****** me over so badly. :afraid: I'd avoid it if I were you. Or perhaps you'd enjoy the challenge.

I quite enjoyed M3, and I've used what I've learnt from it quite a lot this semester; I just didn't practise enough, I guess.

I know nothing about D2, so I can't comment on that. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    In term of 'difficulty' I'd say: M3 > S2 ~ D2
    M3 might be a bit hard if you haven't done Physics yet. S2 is easy in my opinion, just a bit advanced from S1. I haven't done D2 (and won't do it) but my friend said it was ok, but boring as hell.

ReputationRep:
    I never did D2, but D1 was basically free marks so if its as easy as that then it might be an idea.

Although S2 was also very easy, it's not nearly as fiddly with numbers as S1 so theres no real chance of getting it wrong as long as you know the methods.

ReputationRep:
    and what about the smallest - which of these is the smallest unit??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vahik92)
    and what about the smallest - which of these is the smallest unit??
    S2 ~ 110 pages
    M3 ~ 140 pages

Your best bet is S2 (haven't done any Decision modules, so speaking only for S2 and M3).

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    i've never done S2 but i found S1 to be a piece of pi; so perhaps S2 won't be much harder?

same with D2 (not done) but i've done D1 (not proper maths btw) but i hated it with a passion.

as for M3; it may be harder than the others IMO but isn't too bad (as long as you have done M1 and M2 naturally).

Im sitting M3 in jan. and i'll let u know how it goes (if u like)

+ points for M3:
    1. 2 sections called dimensional anaylsis and finding the centre of mass are easy mark gainers; i.e. centre of mass u remember a few integrals and nothing more; dimensional analysis is even easier

example: you express quantities, such as force, in terms of mass, length and time so as acceleration is Length / time^2 and velocity = L / T, so force = mass x acceleration is simply [F] = M L T^-2. this isn't difficult IMO.

2. There is a section on circular motion which can be slightly troublesome to begin with but once u get into it; the topic isn't too hard whatsoever (same old Questions in the exams too)

3. simple harmonic motion is also another one a bit like circular motion; but as long as you know the equations the Questions are super easy.

overall, u can guarantee that dimensional anaylysis and centre of mass Qs will guarantee at least 30+ marks in the exam without much effort. Also, once the equations for simple harmonic motion is down the marks are nearing A/B and with circular motion under your hat then A* grade.

if u need any more info then message me.

craig

p.s. A level Maths units:

C1: 96%, C2: 98%, D1: 51% (lol so much for not working i suppose)
    AS grade: A

C3: pending; C4: pending; M1: pending

Further maths: FP1,FP2,FP3, M2,M3, S1: pending (im taking the whole a level this year)

im doing all of the pending exams in jan. besides FP3 (as it is examined in june only)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for all your answers!! i appreciate that and itll certainly help me to decide which module to take! thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.