Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Goth crowd at university? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I like the running theme of the thread, bash the people that are different :rolleyes: i think you're the ones that need to do some growing up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LabyrinthWonder)
    :hello: There should be more people in this world like you...!
    Obviously you haven't been to Slimelight, Dead and Buried, Inferno, or any number of other goth clubs I could name.

Yes, there are goth girls, but they tend to date within the goth and metal scene, so if you're not into that music, you might find it hard getting one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    Not at any university I've been to, but I've only been to good ones, so I wouldn't expect to see any.

Seriously. Some people's attitude and sheer ignorance. You've got to be open to all sorts of different type of people and accept them as who they are. Otherwise, good university or not, you are not going to survive in this world.

ReputationRep:
    I've not seen many around my Uni. There's the alternative music societies, like our GRIM Soc [Goth-Rock, Industrial, Metal], but I never joined it. I think there's quite a few Goths there; I think one of my lecturers went through a bit of a Goth stage at Uni, but that was probably me pigeonholing her tattoos and her long black hair and paleness.

Part of me wishes I was still a Goth, but, then again part of me doesn't. Suppose the only thing I miss about it all is the lack of Goth girls. Don't get to see enough of them, gorgeous things that they are. But, there we go; sacrifices have to be made in life to get from A to B.

ReputationRep:
    they'll most likely be jamming at the local graveyard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    Do people just grow out of their goth/emo stages? I've never seen any adults like this and I've always wondered why? :confused:
    There are plenty out there, I always see them at gigs and festivals. They are probably in large proportions in the music industry, a lot of them seem to make sound engineers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    do you think there might be a middle ground between goth and rah style?

its crap because its a contrived, silly trend that most people have grown out of by the time adolescence ends. anyone in their 20s still participating in that *crap* is an idiot.
    Goth is hardly contrived, having been around since 1979, mate, nor is it really a trend as it's hasn't been popular since the late 80s.

ReputationRep:
    There's usually a small gothsoc although in my experience they tend to flood into the rocksocs / fetishsocs / also and the gothsocs themselves are more about organising EBM nights. By all means go along but if all you're going to do is crack on the girls you may not make yourself very popular - I used to find there would always be a couple of blokes in jeans at every night leering down girls' cleavage, and they usually got threatened and kicked out by the burly rock geezers before the end of the night :p:

ReputationRep:
    I love rock music. A lot more classic than metal though.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be "goth" but sort of developed my own style over the years So I suppose I changed quite a bit, like grew out my piercings and don't dress totally in black any more. I tend to wear dresses and leggings a lot now.

We mainly hang in the art departments. It's where I see goths a lot. TBH it's hard to find anyone nowadays.

It's like after 2005/2006 the scene just dwindled and died due to emo. It's a shame I don't see anyone I know any more from that scene at all. I miss it but then I don't. I guess I miss the atmosphere but it's like in 2006 the whole atmosphere all changed. :/ It's not the same as it once was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    I love rock music. A lot more classic than metal though.
    Nah brah. metulz where its at.

But seriously, I love metal but I'm just finding it so hard to find something that captures the imagination nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, stop trying to wind people up and derail the thread.

ReputationRep:
    One of the best compliments I've ever had was being asked if I was becoming a goth.

I realise this doesn't answer your question, but the thread reminded me of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    Do people just grow out of their goth/emo stages? I've never seen any adults like this and I've always wondered why? :confused:

We eventually have to swap the black eyeliner for a black suit and a dark tie. Well I was never really a full-blown goth, more a demi-goth. One night wearing leathers, a frilly shirt, black nail varnish, white foundation, black eye-liner, etc... And the next wearing the same leathers with a black vest and literally diving onto the dance floor.

Them were the days, oh what larks I did have pulling Czech Aupaires and French exiles... I've still got my New Rocks, but I had to chuck my leathers years ago as I couldn't get them past my arse, eating actual food instead of toast and camel lights has had a rather adverse effect on my figure these last ten years or so....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    It's like after 2005/2006 the scene just dwindled and died due to emo. It's a shame I don't see anyone I know any more from that scene at all. I miss it but then I don't. I guess I miss the atmosphere but it's like in 2006 the whole atmosphere all changed. :/ It's not the same as it once was.
    Well, I guess 2006 ties in well with most of the original Goths having mid-life crisis and later-day Goths getting married, having kids and the like... I think that cyber-goths are still going strong though, but since I haven't been out clubbing in, well too long to mention, I can't really state an informed view on this.

But the last time I went to the Electric Ballroom about two or three years ago, I was aghast to see kids break dancing, and there was no mosh going on on the 1st floor. Very disappointing, as having an extra 2-3 stone behind me would have made moshing much more fun...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Well, I guess 2006 ties in well with most of the original Goths having mid-life crisis and later-day Goths getting married, having kids and the like... I think that cyber-goths are still going strong though, but since I haven't been out clubbing in, well too long to mention, I can't really state an informed view on this.

But the last time I went to the Electric Ballroom about two or three years ago, I was aghast to see kids break dancing, and there was no mosh going on on the 1st floor. Very disappointing, as having an extra 2-3 stone behind me would have made moshing much more fun...
    Slimelight is still going, but the cybergoth scene is dying a wee bit as well. Nothing really new is happening at the moment, just the same old bands producing the same old music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Slimelight is still going, but the cybergoth scene is dying a wee bit as well. Nothing really new is happening at the moment, just the same old bands producing the same old music.
    The last time I was at the Slimelight it was for some airsoft. And in that venue the ricochet is bloody lethal, especially when just wearing a t-shirt on your top. I got absolutely covered in small bruises...

I've only ever dipped my toe into goth-iness. I never really bought into the tragic-romantic mindset, I guess that I just like the clothes, its a shame that I can't wear them anymore, although I do still just wear cyberdog t-shirts, and some of them are getting a little worn out actually...

ReputationRep:
    On the up side, Combichrist, one of the main cybergoth bands, are supporting Rammstein on their European tour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    The only person I know who's a goth is 36.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.