Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hey just wondering if anybody at Tay Mills can tell me what it's actually like. Only way I can go to Dundee is if I stay there, can't afford the other halls lol.

So I just wanted to know before I make my choice hahaa and I have to convine my mum to let me go so I should probably work out what I'm going to say lol
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Its horrible I shared with 5 girls and one of them stole food and attacked me, Customer service is rubbish and when everyone came to visit they said it reminded them of a jail cell which it did. The halls are minky and have rubbish facilities, You could esaily get 1 bed room for £250 thats what I had after I stayed inthe worst halls ever. They are just disgustin. Eurgh Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My friend stayed there in her first two years. Apparently they are a bit on the grotty side but that's student living! It'll happen to you most places. Compared to the other halls in Dundee I think they suck, but as halls in general they are pretty standard.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Its the worst halls there. are you going to Abertay or Dundee uni??

Anyway my friend went there last year, he had a tiny room. It literally had just enough space for a bed desk and wardrobe crammed in. No lounge space just a tiny kitchen.

I'd really try and go elsewhere if you could.

ReputationRep:
    if you like living in a prison go there, the beds are the most uncomfortable things in the world and the furniture falls apart.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Laura_f_1990)
    Its the worst halls there. are you going to Abertay or Dundee uni??

Anyway my friend went there last year, he had a tiny room. It literally had just enough space for a bed desk and wardrobe crammed in. No lounge space just a tiny kitchen.

I'd really try and go elsewhere if you could.

Dundee hopefully
    But it's just cas the others are so dear!
    Hahaa I've been trying to bribe rich relatives..not workin haha xx

ReputationRep:
    well you'll have your student loan? you can also see if your parents are willing to help a little out financially, plus if its first year you can always try and get a wee part time job. There's ways round things

You're quite lucky though, I moved away from Dundee (was at abertay last year) and halls this year for me is more expensive than all of Dundee uni's.

you can also try here http://www.thehubapartments.co.uk/ they are much nice than tay mills and not much more expenive either. They are mixed so both Abertay and Dundee uni students live there, but you also wont feel isolated since its across the road (literally) from Belmont flats

ReputationRep:
    Eww also the beds are clovered in plastic and your sheet slides around, not to mention the walls are thin and some rooms share e a window so you can open it and tap on your flatmates window or even look in GREAT EH ?Hhaha please please dont live there.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    well you'll have your student loan? you can also see if your parents are willing to help a little out financially, plus if its first year you can always try and get a wee part time job. There's ways round things

You're quite lucky though, I moved away from Dundee (was at abertay last year) and halls this year for me is more expensive than all of Dundee uni's.

you can also try here http://www.thehubapartments.co.uk/ they are much nice than tay mills and not much more expenive either. They are mixed so both Abertay and Dundee uni students live there, but you also wont feel isolated since its across the road (literally) from Belmont flats

Yea I used to work in Borders so obv thats that job gone now, and nah my mum's point of view is you wanna move out youhave to pay.
    But thank you for thet tip about the hub
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Tay mills looks pretty scaffy, I'm applying for courthouse or the new ones at parker street hopefully

ReputationRep:
    oo i forgot about the new ones. I'm guessing their going to be a bit like Belmont flats at Dundee Uni.

Meadowside aren't too bad. Smallish rooms but on-suite and a decent kitchen!!!
    Many parties were held there and you could easily fit 20+ people in there

ReputationRep:
    oo i forgot about the new ones. I'm guessing their going to be a bit like Belmont flats at Dundee Uni.

Meadowside aren't too bad. Smallish rooms but on-suite and a decent kitchen!!!
    Many parties were held there and you could easily fit 20+ people in there
    Yah we had a tour of those when I went for my interview on wednesday, they didn't look too bad! They had decent facilities in the kitchen and the rooms were a bit small, but I think after seeing my brother's absolute dump of a hall in Bristol I will pretty much think anything is luxury lol

ReputationRep:
    they get a lot of bad rep but thats just because they're not as nice as the modern halls which are better than average, nationally compared to other halls they're ok

ReputationRep:
    Tay Mills isn't great. Its worth spending a bit more and paying for the more expensive halls.
    However, you could quite easily get somewhere cheaper by looking for a room on gumtree.com or something similar. Flats in Dundee aren't that expensive, the only problem you would have would be meeting other first years.

edit: A big plus is the INTERNET that gets included if you move into the Hub or the other halls Dundee offers.
    The bedrooms do kind of remind me of a prison cell... you can see the breeze blocks through the walls and things.

This may not be true and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard there isn't much chance of getting a shower in Tay Mills...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyhol1012)
    Tay Mills isn't great. Its worth spending a bit more and paying for the more expensive halls.
    However, you could quite easily get somewhere cheaper by looking for a room on gumtree.com or something similar. Flats in Dundee aren't that expensive, the only problem you would have would be meeting other first years.

edit: A big plus is the INTERNET that gets included if you move into the Hub or the other halls Dundee offers.
    The bedrooms do kind of remind me of a prison cell... you can see the breeze blocks through the walls and things.

This may not be true and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard there isn't much chance of getting a shower in Tay Mills...
    you are wrong... lol.

They'res a bathroom in every flat. So i dont know where you got that impression. My friend was in with 2 other guys so a bathroom between three isnt that bad.

ReputationRep:
    tay mills is alright for a fresher, very good location and stuff, but 4 yrs down the line i realise it is a dump. For the price its decent enough, I stayed there during 1st year, though it was between that and west park villas which i thot was too far away

(Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Hey just wondering if anybody at Tay Mills can tell me what it's actually like. Only way I can go to Dundee is if I stay there, can't afford the other halls lol.

So I just wanted to know before I make my choice hahaa and I have to convine my mum to let me go so I should probably work out what I'm going to say lol
    xxx
    try to pay a bit extra for the other halls if u can! You wont get ensuite at tay mills . Have to walk thru the corridors naked and stuff.......well not quite

ReputationRep:
    you are wrong... lol.

They'res a bathroom in every flat. So i dont know where you got that impression. My friend was in with 2 other guys so a bathroom between three isnt that bad.
    I meant shower as opposed to bath. Not that there was no bathroom at all :P: they wouldn't be allowed to have halls without a bathroom in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyhol1012)
    I meant shower as opposed to bath. Not that there was no bathroom at all :P: they wouldn't be allowed to have halls without a bathroom in.
    yeah but there was a shower alongwith a bath... shower was on the wall :P just had to stand in the bath to have it

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I'll be going to Dundee uni.. But I've been told explicitly to stay AWAY from Tay Mills!

ReputationRep:
    heathfield blatently the best halls of them all. dicks all over belmont.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.