Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    MSN forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Might seem a bit dramatic. But its starting to get a bit annoying. Everybody and their nan seems to have it now and im getting invites from random relatives all over the place that I haven't spoken to for ages.

Imo social networks are made by who they exclude. Facebook was good when it was university students connecting. Now its just a way for people to nose around into each others affairs, or to shove up loads of unnecessary photos. Anyone else feeling like this at all?
    nope.

you dont have to accept 500 friend requests from everyone and anyone you've ever met.

you can set up everything you do to only be visible to your closest friends if you want.

its just really nice to have to the option to speak to someone you only met a few times. its pretty much the first time ever that people are THIS connected to people they know. its awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Some of you complaining about getting notifications and emails about you being tagged? Think about how I feel. I did the photography for an outdoors Alice and Wonderland thememed rave a few months back and put the 200 photos that came out of it up on Facebook (yep, outdoors rave in November, class idea that was) mostly to advertise myself as an events photographer and so everyone could have photos of the night. 200 photos, with an average of 5 people in the picture + people in the background is going on for 1000+ tags (believe me, people went through and tagged every single one, I have a small crew of Facebook die-hards that do the tagging for me as I cba :awesome:) that all came through as email notifications in less than a week. :banghead: On the upside I got two jobs and a verbal contract with a small printing company out of it

Facebook has its pluses and it's minuses. I don't go on it much other than to upload photography or to feed my photo addiction (I spend hours upon hours browsing other people's photos, which may or may not come across as weird when in the knowledge that I live and breathe photography).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    .... so you're saying it's the end of Facebook because more people are joining? :p:
    Essentially yeah. Being using my account I'm making an online social network and now its crammed with people I don't want to network with but feel obliged to do so. Ie. time to go somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Im facehooked ....facebook will be the reason i fail my A-levels !!! i think they might he sending secret messages its kinda boring but addictive !!!
    its kinda moved away from the catching uo with friends and family, and they changed the privacy settings so know loads of people have public profiles that was the reason i changed from bebo 2 facebook i liked that the profiles were private !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    You can block virtually every application on the site. It's possible to avoid virtually all of the spam. I think Facebook will last quite a while yet - although inevitably someone will eventually come up with a better social networking site.
    i think for the first time in the internet age that might not happen.

google might do it. simply because they alreaady have zillions of people locked in. but facebook has everyone locked in, and its why people use it, because everyone else does. and virtually everyone actually does have it.

facebook might change face, or change ownership, or evolve, but fundamentally I dont think a better social networking site will come up for a good decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Might seem a bit dramatic. But its starting to get a bit annoying. Everybody and their nan seems to have it now and im getting invites from random relatives all over the place that I haven't spoken to for ages.

Imo social networks are made by who they exclude. Facebook was good when it was university students connecting. Now its just a way for people to nose around into each others affairs, or to shove up loads of unnecessary photos. Anyone else feeling like this at all?
    totally agree i deactivated mine n it totally annoys me that you cannot permanently delete it! grrr

ReputationRep:
    I have no problems with Facebook. Woohoo!

ReputationRep:
    I like it, but I have a load of friends whom I don't go to school with, so I use it to keep in touch with them. I also quite like the photos, no matter how drunk I am in them. :p:

However, the groups and chat, as people have mentioned, do get on my wick quite considerably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feesh)
    Facebook Chat needs to be improved, every time I get a message it ******* freezes my computer for about 5 seconds, drives me nuts!
    :ditto:

and yes, I also think a swear word was called for!

But overall I love facebook

ReputationRep:
    It's popular, now it sucks, you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    I'm kind of sick of social networking sites in general. It takes too much effort, and I'd rather talk to someone or at least text them instead of talk to them on Facebook chat (which is rubbish anyway).

The one thing Facebook is good for is events. It's a really quick way of organising group nights out or birthdays or whatever; it lets everyone know times and places etc without much effort.

I LOVE YOUR SIG!

Ahem now we've got that out the way...

I agree with you, Facebook is good for events and stuff, but it frustrates me that somehow, it takes up far too much of my time! I also hate that a few people on your friends list join a stupid amount of groups and it comes up on your notifications, and the chat is rubbish.

And Farmville? Don't even get me started.

Rant over... *goes on Facebook and procrastinates more*

ReputationRep:
    yep tis pooh totally agree i deleted mine!!

ReputationRep:
    I give up with it, I realised how last week what a load of **** it was.

ReputationRep:
    I hope it ends soon. I'm getting quite tired of people asking me to join it...

ReputationRep:
    I stopped using it when it became open to the entire public.
    Apparently it keeps getting worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undiscovery)
    You can do all of that with a pen and a paper; are you dense or something?
    A quick text/phone call is all it needs. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Next time, think, then post.
    Bad move.

You may as well try saying that to the whole of TSR...won't work though. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I miss the days of MySpace where it was all teenagers and fun. The amount of drama that has gone down where i work because of people being friends with their boss then writing a status about how **** their was in work is ridiculous.

What annoys me more is when Older people who have just got into it act like its all really new and is the first of its kind, MySpace has been around for over 5 years along with the likes of Bebo etc.

ReputationRep:
    I just hope I'm quick enough to hop on the bandwagon for the next big social networking thing so I can be cool, like.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.