Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

the "dyslexia" excuse EXTRA TIME! WTH? watch

Announcements

(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Everyone has a limit. Some people can go no further with their mathematical capablities.
    Yes thats when they hit there intelligence cap.

Einstein did **** at school, he is believed to have had it.

He had to have someone do his maths for him for his science papers.

So? He was still a genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew.)
    If his handwriting is so bad, I suggest he practices calligraphy.
    Way to avoid the point entirely.

It's the principle - He listed various things not just handwriting. Undoubtedly there would be more also.

Anyone unable to "reach their full potential" would need to be given extra time, if dyslexics were to be given extra time in order to "reach their full potential." Because of, y'know, fairness.

(Original post by ballerinabetty)
    what ha the NHS got to do with dyslexia?
    You would presume the organisation which contains most of the psychologists in the country would give the best opinion/fact? Yes?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has a limit. Some people can go no further with their mathematical capablities.
    if the have dyspracsia (the mathmatical virsion of dyslexia) then your right but if they dont then your wrong, those people do have the capability they just dont know how to use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Well no recognised person trained in the field does...

Which correct me if I am wrong, probably means you are mistaken.
    Intelligence is an umbrella term. The way your mind operates, the way in which you comprehend, your capacity for language are all features of your intelligence.

'Intelligence is an umbrella term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. '

ReputationRep:
    it's all very well but in the real world there's not extra time for anyone..

ReputationRep:
    You would presume the organisation which contains most of the psychologists in the country would give the best opinion/fact? Yes?
    medical psychologists and educational psychologists are different.
    dyslexia is not an illness so it does not need to be handled by the NHS.
    am i missunderstanding you?

Intelligence is an umbrella term. The way your mind operates, the way in which you comprehend, your capacity for language are all features of your intelligence.

'Intelligence is an umbrella term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. '
    Capability and execution are two different things.

ReputationRep:
    if the have dyspracsia (the mathmatical virsion of dyslexia) then your right but if they dont then your wrong, those people do have the capability they just dont know how to use it.
    If that was so, then surely all known mathematical problems would be solved. Or at the very least, you're suggesting that every person has the capacity to solve them.

ReputationRep:
    Capability and execution are two different things.
    Yes, but regardless if you are dyslexic you are deficient in both areas.

medical psychologists and educational psychologists are different.
    dyslexia is not an illness so it does not need to be handled by the NHS.
    am i missunderstanding you?
    They are still far better qualified to give a opinion on that than anyone on this thread unless someone has a degree in psychology here that I have missed.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    Dysprasia is probably made up like dyslexia. Anyway, this is just elementary mathematics i.e. arithmetic. Is there any evidence that they can't do algebra or say set theory? no there isn't. But, that would take some hard work.

P.S. Anyway, dyslexia is just people being lazy. If you worked hard you wouldn't have any language problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    it's all very well but in the real world there's not extra time for anyone..
    this is true and fair but the understanding of extra time is to enable students to fulfil their potential so they can have the same chances as everyone else.

Yes, but regardless if you are dyslexic you are deficient in both areas.
    No, execution, your intelligence is not affected, find me any decent source which isn't a tory MP or someone of similar retardedness who say otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    They are still far better qualified to give a opinion on that than anyone on this thread unless someone has a degree in psychology here that I have missed.
    As an aside, I came first in my year on the psychology paper, on my degree. I won a two hundred pound prize.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is a duff science. Anyway, lol social sciences are a big failure.

(Original post by Simplicity)
    Dysprasia is probably made up like dyslexia. Anyway, this is just elementary mathematics i.e. arithmetic. Is there any evidence that they can't do algebra or say set theory? no there isn't. But, that would take some hard work.

P.S. Anyway, dyslexia is just people being lazy. If you worked hard you wouldn't have any language problems.
    Einstein was dyslexic, yeah he didn't like hard work, thats why he failed school than worked out half of physics :rolleyes:.

Psychology is a duff science. Anyway, lol social sciences are a big failure.
    Ever studied it?

The word of a moron.

ReputationRep:

you must be right because you were part of the same team of educational psychologists who have lead years of research arent you?... oh hang on.

who are you to say dyslexia is made up?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 17, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.