Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Dysprasia is probably made up like dyslexia. Anyway, this is just elementary mathematics i.e. arithmetic. Is there any evidence that they can't do algebra or say set theory? no there isn't. But, that would take some hard work.

P.S. Anyway, dyslexia is just people being lazy. If you worked hard you wouldn't have any language problems.
    Neither are made up, and they can result in significant problems if left ignored.

(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    As an aside, I came first in my year on the psychology paper, on my degree. I won a two hundred pound prize.
    You came first in your uni for psychology yet think dyslexia is to do with intelligence?

Which uni is this? I will make sure I never go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Einstein was dyslexic, yeah he didn't like hard work, thats why he failed school than worked out half of physics :rolleyes:.
    No he wasen't. Einstein also didn't fail school. There is a good youtube documentary that explains his early life. For example, he failed to get a job at university when he was studying physics because his advisor didn't like him as he would only focus on what interested him,

Even then this is anecdotal.

ReputationRep:
    You came first in your uni for psychology yet think dyslexia is to do with intelligence?

Which uni is this? I will make sure I never go.
    Medicine at Leeds Uni.

I don't understand why you are taking this so personally.

ReputationRep:
    As an aside, I came first in my year on the psychology paper, on my degree. I won a two hundred pound prize.
    that is respectable... honestly. but i feel you are misunderstanding the real difficulties faced by dyslexics and why extra time is needed.
    i do understand your meaning it is just that in the reality of a dyslexic it really makes no sense.

Medicine at Leeds Uni.

I don't understand why you are taking this so personally.
    I just fail to see the logic when EVERY source you can find says it does not affect intelligence that is wrote by anyone with any credibility?

No he wasen't. Einstein also didn't fail school. There is a good youtube documentary that explains his early life. For example, he failed to get a job at university when he was studying physics because his advisor didn't like him as he would only focus on what interested him,

Even then this is anecdotal.
    Can't be arsed to argue so another example. Richard Branson, he couldn't be arsed yet managed to build a massive business empire?

Logic flaw in your argument.

ReputationRep:
    I just fail to see the logic when EVERY source you can find says it does not affect intelligence that is wrote by anyone with any credibility?
    When did you first become aware that you were dyslexic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    this is true and fair but the understanding of extra time is to enable students to fulfil their potential so they can have the same chances as everyone else.
    what they try to do in the end is to make everyone a winner.. - why bother having timed exams if for people who can't complete it within the given time you extend the time..?

When did you first become aware that you were dyslexic?

Me personally or officially?

Officially about 15 months ago, but I was always far below in English from 4-5 than maths or science subjects, I didn't know what dyslexia was until I was asked to take the screening by a teacher, can't be aware of something you don't know of.

ReputationRep:
    They are still far better qualified to give a opinion on that than anyone on this thread unless someone has a degree in psychology here that I have missed.
    no they are not. medicine has nothing to do with it. infact you would need to have a phd in educational psychology to be able to give a qualiffied opinion.

anyone is allowed an opinion really.

ReputationRep:
    you must be right because you were part of the same team of educational psychologists who have lead years of research arent you?... oh hang on.

who are you to say dyslexia is made up?
    Psychologist, lol. Psychology is not a science. Anyway, there are educational psychologist who disagree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexi...ch#Controversy

Ever studied it?

The word of a moron.
    Yes, at A level. I got an A in it.

Hmmm, I guess you are dyslexic then?

no they are not. medicine has nothing to do with it. infact you would need to have a phd in educational psychology to be able to give a qualiffied opinion.

anyone is allowed an opinion really.
    Erm the NHS does not put made up or opinion based information on there site...

Psychologist, lol. Psychology is not a science. Anyway, there are educational psychologist who disagree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexi...ch#Controversy

Many things are not official sciences, does not make them wrong?

2 Psychologists... out of how many?

I do A-Level psychology, it barely scratches the surface.

ReputationRep:
    Can't be arsed to argue so another example. Richard Branson, he couldn't be arsed yet managed to build a massive business empire?

Logic flaw in your argument.
    Actually, not really. Hmm, that is interesting I give you that.

How is that?

Again, anecdotal evidence.

So everything on the NHS is true? wow, that is pretty flawed logic.

(Original post by Sambo2)
    what they try to do in the end is to make everyone a winner.. - why bother having timed exams if for people who can't complete it within the given time you extend the time..?
    Good point. I guess then labour or some politcian or some crappy learning theorist will be happy because someone who can't compete is given an advantage over others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    it was explained earlier that they dont actually get extra time on the academic stuff.

e.g. we are both in an exam there is a short passage to read and then one question. the time limit is 15mins.
    you take 4mins to read the passage and have a remaining 12mins to answer the question.
    i (a dyslexic) take 7mins to read the passage and end up with only 8 mins to answer the question.

no matter how much practice i do it will always take me 7mins to read a passage of the same length becasue that is as fast as the information will go in my brain however you could increase your reading time through practice because you dont have the same barrier.

in this instanse the dyslexic needs 3 extra so that both candadates have 12mins to answer the question and so assessing thier intelligence fairly.

ReputationRep:

a source from wiki??? good research...not. this is where i stop reading your posts you obviously do not have a clue.

Actually, not really. Hmm, that is interesting I give you that.

How is that?

Again, anecdotal evidence.

So everything on the NHS is true? wow, that is pretty flawed logic.
    So is your opinion based on that it is lazy, which it is nothing more, so come up with some evidence of your own before analysing someone elses.

Erm yes, Everything on the NHS website is true, you know.. the NHS is not a conspiracy :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    i am really struggling to understand your argument. dislexia is not an illness why do you keep talking about the NHS?

i am really struggling to understand your argument. dislexia is not an illness why do you keep talking about the NHS?
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dyslexi...roduction.aspx

Thats why

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.