Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    How do you know this? Do you look at everything they print out?
    Well most of it... they are my housemates! You are missing the point, my point is not that they shouldn't get it, but that it should maybe be slightly more income assessed. Eg. If you already own a decent laptop, you don't get another free laptop so you can sell the other one, which is what happens quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caffee)
    Well most of it... they are my housemates! You are missing the point, my point is not that they shouldn't get it, but that it should maybe be slightly more income assessed. Eg. If you already own a decent laptop, you don't get another free laptop so you can sell the other one, which is what happens quite a lot.
    i agree with this.
    i am badly dyslexic and i feel this ruin it for people like me.
    i dont get why we need free laptops anyway what ever happened to going to the libary and using the computers in there?
    plus it is harder for a dyslexic to learn how to spell if the use spell check all the time. computers, ie word, encourage lazyness with written english.

also i hate it when people use there dyslexia for the reasons why they are failing or missing dead lines. i could barely write my own name til i was 18 and i never miss a deal line. this is why people think dyslexics are lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caffee)
    I was given a laptop on the basis that I need various software to help me on my course. (disability related) The computer I had at home is nowhere near fast enough to run the software.

I was asked during the assessment if I did have a computer / laptop and honestly explained that yes I do have one; but family will also use it. (because it was then connected to the printer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robertkid)
    You've never visited the real world have you? Its quite nice this time of year

"As for the no allowance in real life argument, how many times do you see a job description that states you must be able to compute masses of information in a short space of time, where having an error margin as high as 10% would be seen as a good result? This situation is unique to exams."
    There are deadlines in jobs. I have been on several work experiences for lots of different companies and in a corporate enviroment you have deadlines. Maybe you should visit the real world not a fluffy bunny world where everybody is given as much time as they want. Sorry to break it to you kid. Anyway I've spent enough time talking to you now, I have an exam tormorrow (no extra time here).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Intelligence is an umbrella term. The way your mind operates, the way in which you comprehend, your capacity for language are all features of your intelligence.

'Intelligence is an umbrella term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. '
    It's an umbrella term largely because no one knows how to define it. Dyslexia is not a property of intelligence. And you will note that dyslexics do not have an impediment of anything on your list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew.)
    It's an umbrella term largely because no one knows how to define it. Dyslexia is not a property of intelligence. And you will note that dyslexics do not have an impediment of anything on your list.
    'Intelligence is an umbrella term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. '

Dyslexics use language poorly, solve problems more slowly, take more time to comprehend information. These are all things that I consider an examination to be a test of, and that is why I do not believe they should be given more time. It defeats the point of an examination which is intended to assess all those who take it fairly and equally.

ReputationRep:

Dyslexics use language poorly, solve problems more slowly, take more time to comprehend information. These are all things that I consider an examination to be a test of, and that is why I do not believe they should be given more time. It defeats the point of an examination which is intended to assess all those who take it fairly and equally.
    Let me put it this way. Would you rather have dyslexia and have some extra time on a test, or not have dyslexia and get normal time.

ReputationRep:

because of the delay in a dyslexics brain they tecnically get the same amount of time in exams.

e.g. we are both in an exam there is a short passage to read and then one question. the time limit is 15mins.
    you take 4mins to read the passage and have a remaining 12mins to answer the question.
    i (a dyslexic) take 7mins to read the passage and end up with only 8 mins to answer the question.

no matter how much practice i do it will always take me 7mins to read a passage of the same length becasue that is as fast as the information will go in my brain however you could increase your reading time through practice because you dont have the same barrier.

in this instanse the dyslexic needs 3 extra so that both candadates have 12mins to answer the question and so assessing thier intelligence fairly.

ReputationRep:
    People who claim to be dyslexic when they actually aren't and they know this full well, just to get extra time, are cheating themselves, so don't concern yourself with them or stoop to their level . As for the real dyslexics then I think it's fair enough they get extra time.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not comprehend what I am arguing? I am saying that being dyslexic is a feature of yourself, it is a part of you. It may limit your capabilities but sadly, that is only a deficiency of your genetics. It's akin to saying that less intelligent people have worse 'intelligence' genes and therefore because those genes do not operate as well as more 'intelligent' ones, they should be afforded special privileges in order to make up for that problem.

Drew and Ballerina, the last two comments you made were completely unrelated. Read what I previously said and address that. You need to argue why language use, time taken to solve problems and comprehension speed are not features of an examination. And remember, this examination is not an I.Q test.

(Original post by Drew.)
    x
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    x

ReputationRep:
    because of the delay in a dyslexics brain they tecnically get the same amount of time in exams.
    So I agree with the whole extra time for dyslexics in exams and stuff, and that example above was really good in proving why.

But just out of interest, aren't there levels of dyslexia? Like you can be mildly dyslexic, severely dyslexic, or somewhere in between. So how come no matter how dyslexic you are, everyone gets the same AMOUNT of extra time in exams? (usually 25% more, I've heard). Surely the more dyslexic you are, the more time you need, and the less you are the less time you need. So why isn't extra time proportional?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    first of all those who are really dyslexic this does not concern you so sorry to waste your time you are deserving (as my sister is really dyslexic)

i feel that my peers who are claiming to be 'dyslexic' are getting an extra half hour for exams! I mean most of them are really clever scoring 90% on past papers anyway and have given lame ass excuses and i feel pressured to follow suite.
    I mean with that unfair advantage espcially for maths i could have fixed my calculations errors and definitely bolstered my grade up by 1 :mad:

i can't help but feel angry and fustrated as these people openly claim to have 'cheated' the dyslexic test!

and now i feel asif i should lie which is morally wrong but i mean if they are recieving something that i don't then that is not fair right?

p.s sorry for spelling errors etc

tbh if you need extra time for the qualification youl need extra time for every job you get.
    not fair to give extra time people the same qualification.

ReputationRep:

i undersatnd what you are trying to say but your idea of what dyslexia is is wrong that is why i felt the need to explain it.

these things are all examined in a test but the point of extra time is to examine them fairly. what i explained above is how this is done fairly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franchango)
    So I agree with the whole extra time for dyslexics in exams and stuff, and that example above was really good in proving why.

But just out of interest, aren't there levels of dyslexia? Like you can be mildly dyslexic, severely dyslexic, or somewhere in between. So how come no matter how dyslexic you are, everyone gets the same AMOUNT of extra time in exams? (usually 25% more, I've heard). Surely the more dyslexic you are, the more time you need, and the less you are the less time you need. So why isn't extra time proportional?
    there should be more strict rule of the time given. it should corrispond to your dyslexia score. i dont know why it is not done that way :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i concur

ReputationRep:
    i undersatnd what you are trying to say but your idea of what dyslexia is is wrong that is why i felt the need to explain it.

these things are all examined in a test but the point of extra time is to examine them fairly. what i explained above is how this is done fairly.
    You are not examining them fairly if you decide to give a minority of candidates extra time, regardless or not whether it would be beneficial to them.

I am saying that being dyslexic is a feature of yourself, it is a part of you. It may limit your capabilities but sadly, that is only a deficiency of your genetics. It's akin to saying that less intelligent people have worse 'intelligence' genes and therefore because those genes do not operate as well as more 'intelligent' ones, they should be afforded special privileges in order to make up for that problem.

ReputationRep:
    pretty much anyone can claim the dyslexia extra time. A bunch of mates who aren't dyslexic in the slightest went for the test just to see if they could scrape a tad longer in the exams, and ALL of them got it. Its ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine openly admits that although he is very slightly dyslexic, he worked out how to "cheat" the test for it so that it made him seem more dyslexic than he is. He got shedloads of money at uni as well as computer equipment and he definitely did not need that money! I don't begrudge him personally for taking advantage of the system, but it is a bit ridiculous.

I also think that if a few people are allowed to use laptops, everyone should. In one of my finals I got 73 and 74 for the first two essays and then 56 for the third because I ran out of time - if I'd been able to type the paper I would have dominated! Sure, some people are slow at handwriting, but my handwriting is only moderate speed and is FAR slower than typing would ever be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5Stories)
    I remember making an identical thread about this ages ago and getting shot down.

I went to a private school and the school encouraged everyone to go to an expensive private doctors and take a 'dyselxia test'. All of those privileged enough to have a few hundred pounds to spend on this doctor's appointment conveniently passed (or should that be failed?) and were diagnosed as dyslexic. It's a bit of a joke that in my English exam, 8 out of 10 of my fellow classmates were 'dyslexic', despite it not being a special school and with one or two exceptions everyone was clearly perfectly capable. Then bizarely I had a friend who got extra time AND a laptop for having poor handwriting. He was allowed a laptop for the poor handwriting but even he couldn't explain why the school allowed him extra time as well, but who would turn it down? Essentially, it was a private school so the kids parent's were well off and they paid for the extra time. The loophole was there and it was used. I'm willing to bet the percentage of kids in private schools with extra time is enormously higher than those in state schools. That cannot be fair.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't people out there with genuine learning disabilities but the system is so easily exploited it's insulting to those people who really do have these learning disabilities.
    There's a school near me that does exactly that. Mostly for the slightly less intelligent (B/C/D) students in order to improve their grades so the school looks better and the parents are happy.

Of course people who actually do have dyslexia might need this extra time, but these people evidently don't, which is completely unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    pretty much anyone can claim the dyslexia extra time. A bunch of mates who aren't dyslexic in the slightest went for the test just to see if they could scrape a tad longer in the exams, and ALL of them got it. Its ridiculous.

Yet I had to pay a stupid amount of money to be assessed for dyslexia.. before I even got a chance to get extra time.

That IS ridiculous :\

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.