Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Most people that posted on this thread are complete jealous retards. If you fail exams and you wish you had extra time just because your dumb as **** then thats your problem. If you begrudge people what they need because they TRUELY have a disability than you also need extra time, extra time to have a THINK about how those who are disadvanteged feel when clowns like you make truely retarded accusations/statements.

Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeanos)
    Most people that posted on this thread are complete jealous retards. If you fail exams and you wish you had extra time just because your dumb as **** then thats your problem. If you begrudge people what they need because they TRUELY have a disability than you also need extra time, extra time to have a THINK about how those who are disadvanteged feel when clowns like you make truely retarded accusations/statements.

Grow up.
    I've made my case and stand by it. If we wants exams to be a fair process, there is no reason to give them more time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    I've made my case and stand by it. If we wants exams to be a fair process, there is no reason to give them more time.
    Which means the disabled people would be at a disadvantage. You'd be at an advantage - I cna't read that well (I have a reading age of a 15 year old) and need extra time for that.

A case based on something that the NHS or any one else does not recognise?

ReputationRep:
    My friend never got extra time even though her nose decided o bleed all over the page. I was shocked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    A case based on something that the NHS or any one else does not recognise?
    No, the NHS does recognise Dyslexia - I'm not arguing against that. It's governmental legislation that allows for extra time. I know numerous doctors who do not believe that Dyslexics should receive extra time. The NHS does not say that dyslexics should receive more time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Which means the disabled people would be at a disadvantage. You'd be at an advantage - I cna't read that well (I have a reading age of a 15 year old) and need extra time for that.
    Yes, non-dyslexics would indeed be at a natural and genetic advantage. But an advantage that is no different from the one that intelligent people have over less intelligent people.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I could've used that extra 30 mins in so many exams.

No, the NHS does recognise Dyslexia - I'm not arguing against that. It's governmental legislation that allows for extra time. I know numerous doctors who do not believe that Dyslexics should receive extra time. The NHS does not say that dyslexics should receive more time.
    The whole theory you have is based on processing speed being part of intelligence.

Which the NHS nor any other major organisation says.

ReputationRep:
    The whole theory you have is based on processing speed being part of intelligence.

No.

I have quite specifically stated that it is not part of intellectual intelligence, but that is not solely what an examination is a measure of. If it was, then it would simply be an IQ test. An examination is also a measure of use if language, processing speed and general comprehension. When dyslexics are given extra time because of their deficiency in those areas, then it becomes unfair on the rest of the candidates who are not at an equal playing field.

No.

I have quite specifically said that it is not part of intellectual intelligence, but that is not solely what an examination is a measure of. If it was, then it would simply be an IQ test. An examination is also a measure of use if language, processing speed and general comprehension. When dyslexics are given extra time because of their deficiency in those areas, then it becomes unfair on the rest of the candidates who are not at an equal playing field.
    Yes, exactly. I consider that to be a part of your intelligence.

ReputationRep:

The fact that examinations are timed in the first place indicates that part of their function is to measure processing speed.

(Original post by DaGianni)
    The fact that examinations are timed in the first place indicates that part of their function is to measure processing speed.
    Exams are not IQ tests, so they do not aim to measure processing speed no.

do people even understand what dyslexia is?

Imagine that you had to sit an exam wearing special glasses that would mix up all of the letters and put the question in a code that you would have to decifer before you could answer it.

ReputationRep:
    Exams are not IQ tests, so they do not aim to measure processing speed no.
    So why are they timed then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm dyslexic and I really need my extra time to let me on the same level with my peers.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in that sense I was referring to what an examination is a test of. An examination is not an IQ test. It should be reflective of your language capabilities, comprehension and information processing speed. You sadly are deficient in these areas but you should not receive more time solely because you are.

because otherwise people wouldnt leave their seats....ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeanos)
    The whole point of giving people extra time is to make it a fair process. Those who are dyslexic are disadvantaged, so extra time levels up the playing field. But seriously, instead of coming on here, arguing like a **** against the obvious, just piss off, and go sulk because your jealous of someone that crushed you in terms of exams and you can't take it thats it fair they got extra time. People like you are the little sh*ts of this world that don't deserve anything from anyone. Disgusting little turd.
    What are you foaming about? If you can't debate properly, then don't bother posting. Less intelligent people are disadvantaged against more intelligent people, should we give them more time to level up the playing field? No, obviously not.

So it is standardised.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.