the "dyslexia" excuse EXTRA TIME! WTH? Watch

morecambebay
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
No, I am not. Your ability at anything is just by-product of the functioning of your brain.
not that you will read it, but:

imagine that there was a room. and in this room was an exam paper. one by one people came along and attempted to answer it...most of the time people could spend all of their allowed time focussing on the question, but whenever a dyslexic person came along, a padlock was put on the door and they were told that they had to pick the lock before they could start on the question.

once they have broken through the lock, they are just as capable as everybody else, but they have had extra work to do.

now, about the maths thing. you cannot compare maths to an essay based subject. Maths is a skill/ability , essay based subjects are not.
ballerinabetty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by explosions hurt)
Every dyslexic i know is pretty stupid. I think for most people it is a way of saying "okay you are thick but we are going to give you a label so you don't feel bad". Middle class parents with stupid kids can't accept this fact so they get their kids tested.
i know a lot of dyslexic oxbridge students, oxbridge usually go for stupid people dont they?... oh hang on:mad:
samzurai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
lol i had a go at my 'dyslexic' mate today regarding this topic! He was sincere and apologised and suggested i join him ! Lol
Matty919
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by morecambebay)
not that you will read it, but:

imagine that there was a room. and in this room was an exam paper. one by one people came along and attempted to answer it...most of the time people could spend all of their allowed time focussing on the question, but whenever a dyslexic person came along, a padlock was put on the door and they were told that they had to pick the lock before they could start on the question.

once they have broken through the lock, they are just as capable as everybody else, but they have had extra work to do.

now, about the maths thing. you cannot compare maths to an essay based subject. Maths is a skill/ability , essay based subjects are not.

Eh dude theres no locks on exam room doors.
kjc_us
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't agree with extra time - how is it a fair test when we all have the same paper to do but others get longer to complete it? Now someone's going to tell me that it wouldn't be fair for a dyslexic person to have only as much time as the rest of us because they're disadvantaged. A thick-but-not-dyslexic person is disadvantaged, but they don't get extra time.

Not to mention, the majority (not all before anyone has a go) of 'dyslexics' aren't even dyslexic, it's just an excuse they use for being stupid. In the same way that many unfit people use 'asthma' as an excuse for being unfit.

It always ***** me off in an exam when the extra timers are sitting there just taking their time when the rest of room's hands are about the fall off because we're so rushed. They get more time to think about it whilst our thoughts are all over the place - how is this fair?
ballerinabetty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There is a limit to everything. If there was not, then all known mathematical problems would be solved. Everyone has a natural limit. And, that is not solely why you are wrong. You are basically saying that if you are not dyslexic, then you must work continuously to develop your abilities - which is a little unfair. Just because someone has the capacity and someone does not, it doesn't mean that the capable person must improve whilst the less capable person should be given special privileges.
nope this is not what i am saying.
i am saying that if you are not dyslexic you are really really lucky because with work you can become a better reader, you do not have a barrier stopping you.
i wish i could read at a good speed. i have done specilised courses and everything and my reading will just not get any faster.
i think i am just going to agree to disagree with you because this could go on for days and unless you have dyslexia (imean really not just people who fake the test) then you will never see it as it really is.
samzurai
Rep:
?
(Original post by kjc_us)
I don't agree with extra time - how is it a fair test when we all have the same paper to do but others get longer to complete it? Now someone's going to tell me that it wouldn't be fair for a dyslexic person to have only as much time as the rest of us because they're disadvantaged. A thick-but-not-dyslexic person is disadvantaged, but they don't get extra time.

Not to mention, the majority (not all before anyone has a go) of 'dyslexics' aren't even dyslexic, it's just an excuse they use for being stupid. In the same way that many unfit people use 'asthma' as an excuse for being unfit.

It always ***** me off in an exam when the extra timers are sitting there just taking their time when the rest of room's hands are about the fall off because we're so rushed. They get more time to think about it whilst our thoughts are all over the place - how is this fair?
i echo your words, people who claim to be dyslexic but they are not
don't deserve a second extra!,people who are have and have very mild dyslexia don't deserve nothing
if people fall under this definition:
"A learning disability in which a person finds it difficult to read and write"
then i am holding my hands up in the air! and will grant them an hour EXTRA! But many learn fantastically even better than 'normal' people, so it really is a messed up system
Steph_FFAF
Report 8 years ago
you can be dyslexic and smart! there are so many different forms of dyslexia as well. i genuinely have it and get A's, and am in much need of the extra time due to the reading involved with english and history for example. Many people in my school who dont get extra time tend to finnish in time or be slightly pushed for time but are normally ok. whereas i dont know how on earth i would ever finnish without extra time as i need it to process the questions and information and my brain tends to mix up words or various other things. I normally dont finnish with my extra time and that doesnt even include going over what i've done and checking with is actually what the extra time is supposedly for
morecambebay
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kjc_us)

why dont you write a nice letter to the exam boards telling them that all of the psychologists and medical professionals that they employ as advisors are wrong.
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ballerinabetty)
nope this is not what i am saying.
i am saying that if you are not dyslexic you are really really lucky because with work you can become a better reader, you do not have a barrier stopping you.
i wish i could read at a good speed. i have done specilised courses and everything and my reading will just not get any faster.
i think i am just going to agree to disagree with you because this could go on for days and unless you have dyslexia (imean really not just people who fake the test) then you will never see it as it really is.
The onus is not on those unaffected by dyslexia to improve. You cannot premise your want for extra time on the fact that it may be possible for non-dyslexics to improve.
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
why dont you write a nice letter to the exam boards telling them that all of the psychologists and medical professionals that they employ as advisors are wrong.
Quite a lot stems from Governmental legislation, which as we all know sometimes operate outside of advice, and there is some debate within universities as to the extent of benefits that dyslexics are afforded.

Do you think that dyslexic students should be able to have their essays re-written by a professional?
samzurai
Rep:
?
(Original post by Steph_FFAF)
you can be dyslexic and smart! there are so many different forms of dyslexia as well. i genuinely have it and get A's, and am in much need of the extra time due to the reading involved with english and history for example. Many people in my school who dont get extra time tend to finnish in time or be slightly pushed for time but are normally ok. whereas i dont know how on earth i would ever finnish without extra time as i need it to process the questions and information and my brain tends to mix up words or various other things. I normally dont finnish with my extra time and that doesnt even include going over what i've done and checking with is actually what the extra time is supposedly for
listen dude if you feel you can't cope without then i myself would feel it's fair as you clearly have difficulty fair enough but maybe not in your area but in mine certainly abuse this system and for the last time
dyslexia=not dumb, dyslexia=difficulty in some cognitive tasks
s+lky
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
P.S. Anyway, dyslexia is just people being lazy. If you worked hard you wouldn't have any language problems.
Sorry but i have to completely disagree with you there. How dare you say that dyslexia is just people being "lazy"! When i was a child i had major problems and at the time we were unaware that i was dyslexic. I work my arse off to get decent grades, more so that normal, intelligent people to keep up with the work.

I get sick and tired of people either thinking i'm stupid an incapable or that i'm making it up because i can't be bothered to put in the effort. I don't deny the fact that there are more than likely some people out there who have and are cheating the system. However, to claim that dyselxia is fake really angers me. These people do not know what i went through as a child and the problems i faced, and still do now but at least i can receive help. For the reason that people think thatit's been made up is why i dare not tell anyone!
Last edited by s+lky; 8 years ago
samzurai
Rep:
?
1 man vs a whole system doubt you'd get results, we need a revoloution ppl!
samzurai
Rep:
?
(Original post by s+lky)
Sorry but i have to completely disagree with you there. How dare you say that dyslexia is just people being "lazy"! When i was a child i had major problems and at the time we were unaware that i was dyslexic. I work my arse off to get decent grades, more so that normal, intelligent people to keep up with the work.

I get sick and tired of people either thinking i'm stupid an incapable or that i'm making it up because i can't be bothered to put in the effort. I don't deny the fact that there are more than likely some people out there who have and are cheating the system. However, to claim that dyselxia is fake really angers me. These people do not know what i went through as a child and the problems i faced, and still do now but at least i can recieve help. For the reason that people think thatit's been made up is why i dare not tell anyone!
don't have to explain yourself to him he's a troll
samzurai
Rep:
?
Quite a lot stems from Governmental legislation, which as we all know sometimes operate outside of advice, and there is some debate within universities as to the extent of benefits that dyslexics are afforded.

Do you think that dyslexic students should be able to have their essays re-written by a professional?
i think re-written by professionals is a step to far you might as well classify dyslexic people as REALLY THICK if that happens
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by samzurai)
i think re-written by professionals is a step to far you might as well classify dyslexic people as REALLY THICK if that happens
It does happen.
samzurai
Rep:
?
It does happen.
really where?
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by samzurai)
really where?
It's governmental legislation, so any university.
morecambebay
Report 8 years ago
It's governmental legislation, so any university.
if you are talking about scribes...they arent exactly professionals are they? they are postgraduates with empty cv's. and they dont rewrite...they make things legible
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (653)
90.95%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (65)
9.05%

Watched Threads