Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    you wait till you go to uni... if your jealous now about exam time.. wait until the gov throws loads of money at dyslexic students (a little bit more than is needed imo)

ReputationRep:
    Also exam markers are trained to read handwriting, if they cant read it it gets passed on to another examiner. You don't even get marked for handwriting qualities in year 6 SATs let alone anything else! Also if your handwriting is that bad, you would have been advised to get a scribe by your teacher and/or exam board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Whats dislexic? DO you mean dispraxic when you cant breath like? It fait for extra time if you cnat breaht surely
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

ReputationRep:
    your not really making a valid argument really are you
    obviously theres testing ...obviously its justified that they get the extra time
    they need the extra time to read through the exam and write it out not to spend longer on the questions to get it right the just take longer to do the basic
    it doesnt mean they're getting better grades than you because of the extra time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    ditto
    in terms of maths mocks me and him have simliar grades, hell he probably gets a few percentages more than me, but we did an exam recently and i made a calculation error and he did too, but after an hour (when my exam had finished) he spotted it and made ammendments which is an extra 5 MARKS which potentially could have increased your grade!
    I think that is called dyscaluler or something like that, thats the one with numbers i believe

ReputationRep:
    I agree with dyslexics getting 'extra time'. But then I think everyone should be given a hell of a lot of time. I think exam time should double, at least. The reason is that the time constraints can put some people under pressure that isn't necessarily out there in the real world. Furthermore I think people who can't write quickly and coherently in a legible way should where possible be given the use of a keyboard if it suits their needs better.
    As a dyslexic boy with bad and slow hand writing, who makes a lot more spelling mistakes when he writes (regardless of spell check) I must admit, I wouldn't be able to actually do exams without a keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is unbelievable.

"ok fair enough but why openly show off about it? IMO thats inexcusable"

Show off? Do you really think they will want to 'show off' about having difficulty with reading and spelling? They get extra time because they need it, and you don't because you don't have difficulties. Dyslexia doesn't effect your IQ!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosieMcfeene)
    Also exam markers are trained to read handwriting, if they cant read it it gets passed on to another examiner. You don't even get marked for handwriting qualities in year 6 SATs let alone anything else! Also if your handwriting is that bad, you would have been advised to get a scribe by your teacher and/or exam board.
    Some of us are a little bit past year 6 SATs and 'teachers' when we make references to exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Whats dislexic? DO you mean dispraxic when you cant breath like? It fait for extra time if you cnat breaht surely
    Troll?
    Troll...
    TROLL!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm dyslexic, however I feel it's not exactly fair on others because seriously... if you have some fatal disease on the exam day then fair enough, but extra time for dyslexia, especially in say.. a maths exam, it doesn't make sense.

P.S. I've never claimed extra time myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firekites)

Show off? Do you really think they will want to 'show off' about having difficulty with reading and spelling? They get extra time because they need it, and you don't because you don't have difficulties. Dyslexia doesn't effect your IQ!
    I think what he means is doing what I used to do, using dyslexia as an excuse for bad spelling and not making much of an effort. This is a flawed and stupid way to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaniLou17)
    your not really making a valid argument really are you
    obviously theres testing ...obviously its justified that they get the extra time
    they need the extra time to read through the exam and write it out not to spend longer on the questions to get it right the just take longer to do the basic
    it doesnt mean they're getting better grades than you because of the extra time
    trust me there are flaws, this guy hasn't had no records of dyslexia in gcse, nor in his life somehow he is diagnosed in a-levels? Ok fair enough it can happen but why tell me he tricked the school? And i very regeretably overheard a convo this his mate were he was literally explaining the steps!:eek: , all i wanted was some people's opinion about this and is he lying! As he seems to really shove it in my face the past few days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Some of us are a little bit past year 6 SATs and 'teachers' when we make references to exams
    Touché!
    But I'm just saying it's making it sound like he would get marked down because of his handwriting, which (as far as i'm aware) only happens in primary school tests...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firekites)

this is the feature they like to flash around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    I'm dyslexic, however I feel it's not exactly fair on others because seriously... if you have some fatal disease on the exam day then fair enough, but extra time for dyslexia, especially in say.. a maths exam, it doesn't make sense.

P.S. I've never claimed extra time myself
    Sorry its discalculer when its numbers, soorrry about the spelling must be my Dyslexia!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but have you not heard of a man called Albert Einstein?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosieMcfeene)
    Touché!
    But I'm just saying it's making it sound like he would get marked down because of his handwriting, which (as far as i'm aware) only happens in primary school tests...
    For me it was more of not being able to complete my essays in the allocated time due to slow handwriting.

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy is a terrible thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anomoly)
    Your right Jealousy is an awful thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anomoly)
    yh i think your right i need to cool down! Today been a rough day and i've seen too many students laughing away, i mean many students get good grades without extra time meh i don't need it what am i kidding

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.