Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    if you are talking about scribes...they arent exactly professionals are they? they are postgraduates with empty cv's. and they dont rewrite...they make things legible
    No. A university service which takes you essay and then re-writes it properly, adjusting sentances, correcting spelling and grammatical errors...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    No. A university service which takes you essay and then re-writes it properly, adjusting sentances, correcting spelling and grammatical errors...
    doen't university stand for independance in learning and what not, if this is true than that my friend is ridiculous, if there is a dyslexic person battling their learning problems and there capable of independance but due to this wouldn't they become dependant on such a system?

right, but they dont add anything into it do they. they make it legible for the examiner to read.

ReputationRep:
    they wouldnt be able to meet the demands of real life

ReputationRep:
    right, but they dont add anything into it do they. they make it legible for the examiner to read.
    if thats so then i think that's fine. But lets say if your going into journalism then i don't think that's suitble tbh

ReputationRep:
    What no? They completely rewrite it. So, an example would be an A* candidate taking the work of an E candidate. They won't add more information but they will vastly improve the way in which it is written, which, without question, will improve the mark. That is utterly unfair on other candidates.

For instance, that may result in a nursing student passing but then in reality lacking basic clinical skills which are vital in practice.

What no? They completely rewrite it. So, an example would be an A* candidate taking the work of an E candidate. They won't add more information but they will vastly improve the way in which it is written, which, without question, will improve the mark. That is utterly unfair on other candidates.

For instance, that may result in a nursing student passing but then in reality lacking basic clinical skills which are vital in practice.
    you cannot jump from an e to an a* without adding more information. you just cant.

essays are not marked for style...they are marked for subject matter.

ReputationRep:
    you cannot jump from an e to an a* without adding more information. you just cant.

essays are not marked for style...they are marked for subject matter.
    Well, at university there is normally at least 20% for the way in which the essay is written. So you can jump from a E to C, which is utterly unfair. If you discount the fact that style plays a large part in what mark you get, then you're mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    not that you will read it, but:

imagine that there was a room. and in this room was an exam paper. one by one people came along and attempted to answer it...most of the time people could spend all of their allowed time focussing on the question, but whenever a dyslexic person came along, a padlock was put on the door and they were told that they had to pick the lock before they could start on the question.

once they have broken through the lock, they are just as capable as everybody else, but they have had extra work to do.

now, about the maths thing. you cannot compare maths to an essay based subject. Maths is a skill/ability , essay based subjects are not.
    But surely we are discussing both mathematical and essay-based subjects? In any case, I would certainly say that people's mind sets can be better or worse suited to analytical skills and essay-writing.

What you definitely cannot compare is dyslexia, an internal condition, with being physically impeded from taking the exam by external influences.

ReputationRep:
    A girl in my year 'claims' she's dyslexic,but she really isn't. Ergghh I hate her!! She got 30 mins extra for the economics exam! :shock:
    She got 7 A*'s at gcse including the core subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    For **** sakes there's a crazy ***** singing some foreign song in the next room! you think you got problems? ******* hell.
    i had to do my History exam in isolation last year in the health centre at school and bellow me were some 5 year olds (we have a junior department attached to my school... grrrr....) singing "can you feel the love tonight" from the lion king for like half an hour and the exam person wouldn't do anything... grrrr....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissy92)
    Look im sorrry but there are realllllllllly smart people with dyslexia who score highly but need the extra time soo that they can achieve there potenial! Do u think its a great time for people with dyslexia in an exam struggling with the basics??
    Not a particularly convincing argument really... There are very smart people who write slowly / take a long time to gather their thoughts, but they don't get extra time, and therefore aren't achieveing "their true potential".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Not a particularly convincing argument really... There are very smart people who write slowly / take a long time to gather their thoughts, but they don't get extra time, and therefore aren't achieveing "their true potential".
    indeed, its stupid really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master.K)
    A girl in my year 'claims' she's dyslexic,but she really isn't. Ergghh I hate her!! She got 30 mins extra for the economics exam! :shock:
    She got 7 A*'s at gcse including the core subjects.
    yh same here man same here its very annoying too see these people tricking the system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky116)
    Excellent post. The best piece on this topic I have ever read (I too have to write in seperate letters), I find it a little hard to get my point across sometimes but this is exactly it!
    Why thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    But they do... If you take a test to show you write much slower then average you can get extra time, same with handwritting being poor.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, non-dyslexics would indeed be at a natural and genetic advantage. But an advantage that is no different from the one that intelligent people have over less intelligent people.
    Except the dysexic has a disability. Someone who isn't that intelligent may not have a disability.

you might as well classify dyslexic people as REALLY THICK if that happens
    Except they're not thick. I have a friend who is dyslexic; but was in top set for Eglish at secondary school.

Some of you really are ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    My friend has dyslexia and even she thinks that the extra time isn't really necessary. During A-Levels with lots of essay writing, she just used the extra time to bag herself some more points. Not because she needed the time...

Maybe the time given as extra should instead be based upon how severe the dyslexia is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Except the dysexic has a disability. Someone who isn't that intelligent may not have a disability.

Except they're not thick. I have a friend who is dyslexic; but was in top set for Eglish at secondary school.

Some of you really are ignorant.
    I am not going to repeat myself numerous times, read my previous posts.

Dyslexia is certainly an abnormality, as many things are, and it may well be a disability but that is not to say that dyslexic examination candidates should receive additional time because of it. Being dyslexic means that your brain functions differently. Less intelligent people's brain will function differently to more intelligent people's brain. If you apply consider dyslexia to be a disability, then we must say that less intelligent people are disabled in comparison to more intelligent people. Sad as that may be, in no sense does that mean they should receive additional time.

We must remember an exam is not an IQ test. In part, it should be reflective of your language capabilities, comprehension and information processing speed. For example; in history, a key component of your ability to write a decent essay rests in your capability to write coherently, piece ideas together, link concepts to the next etc etc. As opposed to just splurging out everything you know on a subject, which would be a test solely of knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Being less intellingent and being dyslexic are different. How hard is that to understand?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.