Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlamCanyon)
    No. You are either dyslexic or not. You either have a poor processing speed or not. They two are not interchangeable.
    lol i understand know thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Well, I've just invented the term "slow thinking speed". :p: I would certainly hope people with a "slow thinking speed" could not get equal benefits... why should less intelligent people get extra time? That's the whole point of exams - to discriminate between the more capable and less capable.
    you push an intresting point!, the exams are there to disriminate between the intellegent and less intellegent. hmmm......

ReputationRep:
    You're not the same ability in terms of comprehension, processing speed, coherency, writing style - and these are things that exams test. You're just worse at them. You shouldn't receive more time just because you're worse.
    No you shouldn't. The point is a dyslexic person achieves the same as a person with all of these attitudes the same only with extra time due to this condition. A person who is simply worse cannot achieve the same in the same amount of time because they are just worst. It's for no reason, they just are. Whereas dyslexics have a reason, because the mind works differently. Everyone without dyslexia has the same mechanism in which their brain runs on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anomoly)
    No you shouldn't. The point is a dyslexic person achieves the same as a person with all of these attitudes the same only with extra time due to this condition. A person who is simply worse cannot achieve the same in the same amount of time because they are just worst. It's for no reason, they just are. Whereas dyslexics have a reason, because the mind works differently. Everyone without dyslexia has the same mechanism in which their brain runs on.
    No, you don't achieve the same as another person. You don't because you require more time. This is exactly the point. You're just worse at these things and they're sadly part of your overall general ability. But that is absolutely no reason to have extra time. You're not at the same ability because you do not accomplish as much in the same time - you require more time to get to the equivalent level.

And we must note, that if the person you're comparing yourself to have the extra time as well, then they'd still remain the same realised ability level away from you.

ReputationRep:
    No, you don't achieve the same as another person. You don't because you require more time. This is exactly the point. You're just worse at these things and they're sadly part of your overall general ability. But that is absolutely no reason to have extra time. You're not at the same ability because you do not accomplish as much in the same time - you require more time to get to the equivalent level.

And we must note, that if the person you're comparing yourself to have the extra time as well, then they'd still remain the same realised ability level away from you.
    You've just justified my point but only added in what's in bold. It is reason to get extra time because what examinations are really for is to judge the knowledge of the individual; time is a small factor that they inflict. A lot of exams they give you more time that you actually need (as I said earlier about the exam I finished the same time as everyone else), though for dyslexia students it will take more time than what they give for people who aren't. Really, they want to draw your full knowledge out, to see what you can achieve and are capable of, not as much how long it takes you - obviously it is a factor but it isn't their main aim.

ReputationRep:
    You've just justified my point but only added in what's in bold. It is reason to get extra time because what examinations are really for is to judge the knowledge of the individual; time is a small factor that they inflict. A lot of exams they give you more time that you actually need (as I said earlier about the exam I finished the same time as everyone else), though for dyslexia students it will take more time than what they give for people who aren't. Really, they want to draw your full knowledge out, to see what you can achieve and are capable of, not as much how long it takes you - obviously it is a factor but it isn't their main aim.
    your point is valid and i agree, but if you're dyslexic and really clever, you should know the ins and out of the subject so why would you require extra time?, the questions should sound familiar and definately shouldn't put you off?, i understand its for reading and stuff but, isn't the whole purpose of an exam to put you under stress?

would you say a
    dyslexic person(super intellegent) 1hr 20 mins
    and a normal (high stress) 1hr

is fair? I just want your opinion:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    you push an intresting point!, the exams are there to disriminate between the intellegent and less intellegent. hmmm......
    But Dyslexia is nothing to do with intellingence.

I am a slow reader [due to having vision worse than normal] and require the extra time to read. My inability to read at the same speed as other people isn't intelligence related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    your point is valid and i agree, but if you're dyslexic and really clever, you should know the ins and out of the subject so why would you require extra time?, the questions should sound familiar and definitely shouldn't put you off?, i understand its for reading and stuff but, isn't the whole purpose of an exam to put you under stress?

would you say a
    dyslexic person(super intellegent) 1hr 20 mins
    and a normal (high stress) 1hr

is fair? I just want your opinion:p:
    First person to agree even slightly :P. As I said, I didn't need extra time for my exam I took today or on Monday, most likely because I am 'mildly' dyslexic along with the amount of preparation I did for those exams and I answered the questions fluently. The extra time isn't always needed for mild dyslexics but for strong ones I doubt they can go without it.

ReputationRep:
    Where have the two that were debating with me gone...? :'-(

Ah well

ReputationRep:
    Yes, examination are a test of knowledge but also a whole plethora of other things. Things such as comprehension, processing speed, coherency and writing style, to name but a few. In these areas you are genetically weak, and sad as that may be, it's no reason to simply give you more time. As some students cannot visualise mathematical concepts or take longer to map out essays, you perform poorly in the aforementioned areas. This however is not a valid reason for the provision of additional time.

And also, exams do not give your more time than you need. They give you as much time as the board believe it will take an average candidate to fairly quickly work through the paper.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, examination are a test of knowledge but also a whole plethora of other things. Things such as comprehension, processing speed, coherency and writing style, to name but a few. In these areas you are genetically weak, and sad as that may be, it's no reason to simply give you more time.
    Wrong but I'm done here - I've said my bit. Dyslexics aren't genetically weak in those areas, it basically only contains spelling and reading and the amount is effected by the strength of dyslexia. I know dyslexics who get high marks in all of their exams (I'm not going to boast and say I'm one) processing speed only came from all of the guys before on your side of the argument, things seem to be getting recycled and distorted like rumours.

Anyway, I've got things to do.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong but I'm done here - I've said my bit. Dyslexics aren't genetically weak in those areas, it basically only contains spelling and reading and the amount is effected by the strength of dyslexia. I know dyslexics who get high marks in all of their exams (I'm not going to boast and say I'm one) processing speed only came from all of the guys before on your side of the argument, things seem to be getting recycled and distorted like rumours.

Anyway, I've got things to do.
    Hardly, 'reading' is a catch-all phrase for comprehension, how quickly you process that information, how coherently your understand it. These are things that an exam test.

Concede? - as you so moronically said earlier.

ReputationRep:
    You're embarrassing yourself now. It's a bit cringe-worthy. - As you so moronically said earlier.

ReputationRep:
    You're embarrassing yourself now. It's a bit cringe-worthy. - As you so moronically said earlier.
    Cheerio.

Good luck with your exams, and remember to read the instructions properly.

ReputationRep:
    lol some one answered through PM, THANKS GUESS I DONT

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure people who just aren't too smart have a reason too - presumably something to do with genetics and how their mind works. But that doesn't give them a reason to have extra time. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Cheerio.

Good luck with your exams, and remember to read the instructions properly.
    Haha Cheeeeeeers

(Original post by Jonty99)
    I'm pretty sure people who just aren't too smart have a reason too - presumably something to do with genetics and how their mind works. But that doesn't give them a reason to have extra time.
    Yeah...............sure.

ReputationRep:
    Haha Cheeeeeeers

Yeah...............sure.
    Well what do you think the reason is for people differing in intelligence? there must obviously be differences in their brains/genetics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matty919)
    There are deadlines in jobs. I have been on several work experiences for lots of different companies and in a corporate enviroment you have deadlines. Maybe you should visit the real world not a fluffy bunny world where everybody is given as much time as they want. Sorry to break it to you kid. Anyway I've spent enough time talking to you now, I have an exam tormorrow (no extra time here).
    It is evident that you do not understand

ReputationRep:
    Exams are not designed to differentiate between smart and lesser students, they are designed to discover that students knowledge and capability within the subject of the exam. When I do a math test I am not being tested on my intelligence, I am being tested on my math knowledge and capability.

Exams aren't a test of speed, what good would be knowing the speed in which a person does, again for example, math relative to knowing his mathematical capability/knowledge/ability. Dyslexia slows down the minds processing of data, but as said above the exam is not to discover how quickly the person processes data, rather the end result, so the dyslexic person is given additional time relative to the amount he will need to be on a par with an able person.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.