Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hope I haven't missed a post that says what I'm about to say.

I found the forum by accident and have spent a good couple of hours reading the different views. Many are extremely passionate and well reasoned and it's provoked a discussion at home.

I sat my 'A' levels when nobody in mainstream education had dyslexia. Rubbish of course but it wasn't recognised by the local authority. I love a quote from a Victoria Wood sketch- " Of course he has what you'd call Special Needs. Only they didn't have it then, just basket weaving at the back of the class."

I have taught in mainstream ed for years and assessed for dyslexia. I now teach in the life long learning sector - people with various impairments and mental health issues - we work on developing life skills and soft skills.

I know I have never been given two hours to write an essay on a 'surprise' title since I did my exams. Of course I work to deadlines and under pressure. But it is not the same as an 'exam' situation.

So now my point. How come we know more about how the brain works and how it doesn't in than we have ever known before, we have identified many different types of intelligence and we have made huge developments in how we teach yet we still insist in testing for 'intelligence' in the same way?

People who are dyslexic, dyscalculate, visually impaired, deaf, ADHD, autistic, physicaly impaired,... the list is endless should and could be assessed in an appropriate way. Learning can be tailored to meet the need of the individual - so why not testing? Is because 'The world outside' is pressing education for snap shot view of a persons learning? If so why not a learner profile? It would show areas of strenght and weakness.

Thanks to everybody who shared their views it is good to that dyslexia is being recognised and talked about. Like all spectrum disorders there will be differing experiences and hence different views. And it worth remembering it is a 'spectrum' disorder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robertkid)
    It is evident that you do not understand
    Good argument bro.

Exams are not designed to differentiate between smart and lesser students, they are designed to discover that students knowledge and capability within the subject of the exam. When I do a math test I am not being tested on my intelligence, I am being tested on my math knowledge and capability.

Exams aren't a test of speed, what good would be knowing the speed in which a person does, again for example, math relative to knowing his mathematical capability/knowledge/ability. Dyslexia slows down the minds processing of data, but as said above the exam is not to discover how quickly the person processes data, rather the end result, so the dyslexic person is given additional time relative to the amount he will need to be on a par with an able person.
    Being able to apply knowledge with speed is part of knowing it well. Being able to solve an equation within 10 seconds is more impressive then solving it in 10 years wouldn't you say?

It is evident that you do not understand. I would just like exams to be fair i.e. everybody gets the same time. "Oh but Dyslexia slows you down". Being stupid slows you down too, being clever speeds you up. Should stupid people get more time and should clever people get less time? Exams should be what you can do in the specified time and no other ******** involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matty919)
    Good argument bro.

Being able to apply knowledge with speed is part of knowing it well. Being able to solve an equation within 10 seconds is more impressive then solving it in 10 years wouldn't you say?

It is evident that you do not understand.
    If you understood, you could create an plausable arguement to back up your opinion, rather than using exaggeration. For example;

It remains evident that you do not understand, due to your deficiency of constructive arguements, and inability to defend those that you have created when flaws are identitfied.

As opposed to an equivalent of your above statement;

Yo' Mumma is so fat....

And lastly, if fermats last theorem was solved by Dr Wiles after many hundreds of years of attempts to do so, this was one of the most impressive recent developments in number theory.

Had Euler solved the problem 10seconds after first laying eyes upon it, it would have been so unimpressive he would have hid his work out of embrassment of working on such a weak problem.

ReputationRep:
    Exams are not designed to differentiate between smart and lesser students, they are designed to discover that students knowledge and capability within the subject of the exam. When I do a math test I am not being tested on my intelligence, I am being tested on my math knowledge and capability.

Exams aren't a test of speed, what good would be knowing the speed in which a person does, again for example, math relative to knowing his mathematical capability/knowledge/ability. Dyslexia slows down the minds processing of data, but as said above the exam is not to discover how quickly the person processes data, rather the end result, so the dyslexic person is given additional time relative to the amount he will need to be on a par with an able person.
    This. The effects can be the same for dypraxia as well, I know this first hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    first of all those who are really dyslexic this does not concern you so sorry to waste your time you are deserving (as my sister is really dyslexic)

i feel that my peers who are claiming to be 'dyslexic' are getting an extra half hour for exams! I mean most of them are really clever scoring 90% on past papers anyway and have given lame ass excuses and i feel pressured to follow suite.
    I mean with that unfair advantage espcially for maths i could have fixed my calculations errors and definitely bolstered my grade up by 1 :mad:

i can't help but feel angry and fustrated as these people openly claim to have 'cheated' the dyslexic test!

and now i feel asif i should lie which is morally wrong but i mean if they are recieving something that i don't then that is not fair right?

p.s sorry for spelling errors etc
    The tests for diagnosing dyslexia are fairly precise and it's unlikely someone would be able to cheat the system. I imagine they were maybe a little embarassed after all there's a stigma attached to it. I for one know that for those with such conditions it most certainly is not an unfair advantage, the fact of the matter is that without this allowance they are at an unfair disadvantage. This is a criticism of the exam board. Indeed the allowance doesn't really remove that disadvantage, but it goes some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matty919)
    Good argument bro.

It is evident that you do not understand. I would just like exams to be fair i.e. everybody gets the same time. "Oh but Dyslexia slows you down". Being stupid slows you down too, being clever speeds you up. Should stupid people get more time and should clever people get less time? Exams should be what you can do in the specified time and no other ******** involved.
    TROLL!

ReputationRep:

am exam is challenge based on time lol!, why else would they give you a time limit? It's so you can learn exam techniques and apply them, alot of people get nervous in exams and spends loads of time than usual and due to the time contrainsts make calculation errors ultimately we are not fufilling our potential and are not allowed a second , thus i conclude an exam is to put you under pressure or else loads of people would be gettin extra time under exam anxiety

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Komakino)
    The tests for diagnosing dyslexia are fairly precise and it's unlikely someone would be able to cheat the system. I imagine they were maybe a little embarassed after all there's a stigma attached to it. I for one know that for those with such conditions it most certainly is not an unfair advantage, the fact of the matter is that without this allowance they are at an unfair disadvantage. This is a criticism of the exam board. Indeed the allowance doesn't really remove that disadvantage, but it goes some way.
    believe me dude! In my area it happens i found out the college gets funds from the borough for specail needs students

ReputationRep:
    am exam is challenge based on time lol!, why else would they give you a time limit? It's so you can learn exam techniques and apply them, alot of people get nervous in exams and spends loads of time than usual and due to the time contrainsts make calculation errors ultimately we are not fufilling our potential and are not allowed a second , thus i conclude an exam is to put you under pressure or else loads of people would be gettin extra time under exam anxiety
    Well the central premise behind the time limit surely has to be that all of our brains work the same way, otherwise its an unfair method of assessment as some will be quicker than others, but they don't so its flawed. I'd have thought that one of the greater motivations for exams is to assess the students knowledge of the topic, however I do acknowledge that one of the motivations for exams as well is to prepare for university. In this respect perhaps their necessary, but I still think that some people like those with a right-hemisphere brain or with specific learning difficulties are better assessed by coursework than examinations.

ReputationRep:
    i am the slowest writer ever it has been mentioned constantly throughout schooll, so i applied to ask for extra time but apparently because my writing is neat i dont get it eve nif it takes me 3 times longer to write a sentence than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    This is only a slight variation on the purpose of exams argument again.

The exams are not primarily a test of speed, or ability to work under pressure. They are a test of knowledge (see argument above).

The time limit is there for a few reasons. Foremost it is to ensure the exam is completed using methods that the candidate is required to know, as in, to prevent them from deriving an answer as a last resort to answering a question that they should be able to simply state. The time limit is not there to cause stress ad evaluate the candidates response to stress, that would be sadistic.

ReputationRep:
    I had a couple of friends at school who were dyslexic and they used to get a calculator in the non-calculator section of maths exams. That was pretty weird, because both of them were very good at maths, and the whole point of a non-calculator paper is that you do it without one.

Extra time is fair enough to be honest. I do think it's a bit of a flawed system, because there were loads of people in my year who got away with getting extra time etc when they clearly didn't need it. Besides, where do you draw the line? I had issues at school with attention and concentration, I found it really hard to focus in exams and I'm sure that affected my performance, but I don't necessarily think I should have been treated differently because of it. In the real world you don't get special treatment, you're just expected to get on with it and do the best you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    I had a couple of friends at school who were dyslexic and they used to get a calculator in the non-calculator section of maths exams. That was pretty weird, because both of them were very good at maths, and the whole point of a non-calculator paper is that you do it without one.

Extra time is fair enough to be honest. I do think it's a bit of a flawed system, because there were loads of people in my year who got away with getting extra time etc when they clearly didn't need it. Besides, where do you draw the line? I had issues at school with attention and concentration, I found it really hard to focus in exams and I'm sure that affected my performance, but I don't necessarily think I should have been treated differently because of it. In the real world you don't get special treatment, you're just expected to get on with it and do the best you can.
    yh i agree the line between dyslexia and 'normal' gets blurred as time moves on, maybe it is to make people intergrate better? people with mild symptoms have extra time, when they perfectly can cope without extra minutes, anyway what the hell the exam boards should really do something about institutes tbh. And make exams as fair as possible

ReputationRep:
    This is only a slight variation on the purpose of exams argument again.

The exams are not primarily a test of speed, or ability to work under pressure. They are a test of knowledge (see argument above).

The time limit is there for a few reasons. Foremost it is to ensure the exam is completed using methods that the candidate is required to know, as in, to prevent them from deriving an answer as a last resort to answering a question that they should be able to simply state. The time limit is not there to cause stress ad evaluate the candidates response to stress, that would be sadistic.
    you're right an exam is a test of knowledge

but you can have perfect knowlege on a subject but this neccesarily mean that you will get 100% y? Due to time. if a question on something relating to the subject came up and you spent more time going in full depth? are you at fault of a bad grade? off course, you must work agianst time and develop exam techniques, exams are to assess knowledge but they are also designed to test how you can deal with it right?, i mean a BTEC course is for people who hate exams, but they may have the same knowledge as an A-level candidate, but due to structure of a-levels, the a-level student would and should get more priority BECAUSE he can deal with exams

my point is exams are not only to asses knowledge but they are given at a time which is designed specifically for the content of knowledge they are seeking.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    you should be fully entitled!!!! if your dyslexic then definatley you should be able to have time no doubt my sister who is dyslexic is deserving and those who 'really' are, deserve every minute!
    Not true at all. Extra time is given if your assessment identifies that extra time will help you fully access the curriculum.

Edit: Not sure why someone negged this. I'm both a teacher and someone with SpLDs. Your assessment by the Ed Pysch will recommend adjustments that may help. Some dyslexics and others with SpLDs do not get extra time because it is not needed. Simple as. So no not all dyslexics are entitled to extra time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissy92)
    Look im sorrry but there are realllllllllly smart people with dyslexia who score highly but need the extra time soo that they can achieve there potenial! Do u think its a great time for people with dyslexia in an exam struggling with the basics??

*their.

Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    Bizarrely, I get extra time simply because I have appalling handwriting. I get a laptop as well - although due to my pride and my subjects respectively, I use neither.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a straight A student, but I'm also dyslexic. I can read pretty quickly, I devour books in no time, but when it comes to reading a question on an exam I have to take my time. I will constantly read things wrong, or read them correctly and translate them wrong. Wordy maths questions especially take me a lot long to understand exactly what it is they are asking me than most other students. And my writing suffers too. I can express myself with ease verbally, but when it comes to writing on a page I consistently miss out words (sometimes whole phrases because my brain is working faster than my hand can transpose), spell horrendously and flip letters around. I have to check my exams at least three times before I hand them in to make sure I've found as many stupid mistakes as possible. All of these things means I get extra times during exams, which I most often use, and find it makes a great deal of difference.

It's frustrating knowing that if asked you could answer any question on a test verbally to an incredibly high standard, but because you're having to write it on a page in a time limit you're likely to mess it up somehow because your brain and hand don't cooperate the way they should. For me the time puts me back on the same level as my peers who don't have to deal with the problems dyslexia gives me.

Interestingly, since I moved to the States I haven't had any help with my dyslexia because they wanted me to pay for a new test (*******s), but I'm still getting my A's. Sure I can do it without the extra time, but when I have it thats when my true potential can really come out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Which means the disabled people would be at a disadvantage. You'd be at an advantage - I cna't read that well (I have a reading age of a 15 year old) and need extra time for that.
    Why do we take exams? We take exams so that we can be compared on our abilities of different subjects. If I were awarded an A for an English exam, this shows my reading and writing are at an A standard.

If a supposedly dyslexic person (faking or genuinely disabled) got a A grade in the exam with extra time but would have got a B otherwise, what does this show? It portrays that both students are on paper identical. When applying for the same job there is no distinction. Except the able student can perform the task in less time. In a real world job, an employer doesn't care. You won't be employed to work with people but then given 25% extra time for a task.

If I were not very good at maths, is it justified that I get extra time in a maths exam? This makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalie__jane)
    i am the slowest writer ever it has been mentioned constantly throughout schooll, so i applied to ask for extra time but apparently because my writing is neat i dont get it eve nif it takes me 3 times longer to write a sentence than everyone else.
    Exams are a test of knowledge not communication abilities, you should have been allowed to use something to assist you but extra time would only allow you more time to think

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.