Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckaboos.)
    I know what you mean about the extra time.. being embarrassed.. even though ive only had it for one exam and there was only 3 people in the room and I was sat at the back and I even felt embarrassed.

Am going to be even more embarrassed with my next exam.. a bigger class and all my friends are going to be asking me why i am having extra time when i have never had it before!!!

my dyslexia sounds similar to yours!

its awful, seriously. today it was my 'clever' lessons (which i regret takin), and ALL the clever kids givin me a look like i dressed like a clown.

i hate dyslexia, i look like a gorm when i'm thinking aswell

ReputationRep:
    This might sound like a stupid question... but do you get 25% in all exams?!. It may sound stupid but my school is useless on passing on information.. I had to keep bugging them to find out if they had even sent of my application for extra time :\
    I'm not sure if it is every exam or not to be honest. At GCSE I didn't get extra time for Maths because they said I didn't need it, but I got it for Statistics and everything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazydan599)
    its awful, seriously. today it was my 'clever' lessons (which i regret takin), and ALL the clever kids givin me a look like i dressed like a clown.

i hate dyslexia, i look like a gorm when i'm thinking aswell

I dont hate dyslexia.. since really I have no choice but put up with it! I hate other people marking my work tho.. peer marking pushes all my panic buttons.. . How pathetic.. I am 19 and paniced at the thought of a judgemental 16 year old marking my work :\ Judgemental being the word there!

I look like a gorm as well.. and half the words that come out of my mouth dont make sense :\ hey thats life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anomoly)
    I'm not sure if it is every exam or not to be honest. At GCSE I didn't get extra time for Maths because they said I didn't need it, but I got it for Statistics and everything else.

Hmmm.. thanks.. I am just wondering if i will get it for my C3 exam or not.. See I wish my school told me things!

ReputationRep:
    This might sound like a stupid question... but do you get 25% in all exams?!. It may sound stupid but my school is useless on passing on information.. I had to keep bugging them to find out if they had even sent of my application for extra time :\
    I get the 25% extra, but I've had it in all of my exams except one.

It was my Applied Business A2 exam, but i'm not sure if it was the exam (because I didn't seem to need it in that exam), or because the school just forgot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Personally im not a fan of extra time for dyslexia.

My joined-up handwriting is terrible, forcing me to write everything in single letters so others can actually read it. Takes twice as long. Did I ever get extra time? Hell no.

And why not? As others have said "They need that time to reach their full potential"... well then certainly didnt I? Dont people who take a long time to Read? People who take a long time to write? People who take a long time to think? People who have a tendancy to daydream?

The problem with giving some people extra time and not others is that it totally ruins the whole point of exams: To judge a person's ability set against benchmarks.

If someone can work out a complex maths equation.. but takes 2 hours to do so, should they be allowed 2 hours to work it out? I mean, to "reach their full ability" they'd need that 2 hours.. but would any real job in the world actually give you that time? And should they be allowed to compare an answer they've had 2 hours producing to one someone's been forced to do in just 1 hour? In my opinion, no.

I think exams need to differentiate between potential and ability. Yes, someone may have the potential to be amazing at maths.. given the time and support, But their actual ability is not nearly as high if it takes them alot longer to do so when compared to a standard benchmark.
    I got extra time because I write at a below average pace and have a friend who got extra time because his writting was messy...

ReputationRep:
    i cant agree with the OP more

a girl at my school who is dyslexic got all A's and she looks totally normal and doesnt have a problem with most things.infact there are people who could use the extra time more then her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessargh)
    there's a girl in my year with manic depression and she gets more than 50% of the time added on again.
    she isnt dyslexic and has no problem at all with academic studies. its ridiculous.
    Do you even know what manic depression is? It's hell. And that's coming from someone whose friend has it and a friends' wife has it too.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. thanks.. I am just wondering if i will get it for my C3 exam or not.. See I wish my school told me things!
    Though it may be because my test involved Maths as well as English and I think I did well in that section so they may have made sure I didn't get it here. Best to ask someone more clued up though :o: the person who tested you or the Dyslexia area of this Forum.

ReputationRep:
    lol. Two people in my history class get 1.5 hours extra (yes, 1.5 hours extra) in our AH history exam...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy123)
    she looks totally normal.
    As do most people with learning disabilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy123)
    i cant agree with the OP more

a girl at my school who is dyslexic got all A's and she looks totally normal and doesnt have a problem with most things.infact there are people who could use the extra time more then her.
    I don't think it's that easy to judge to be honest, it doesn't effect intelligence so really it shouldn't matter if she gets all A's - it may be essential for her to get extra time because she has to re-read everything.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with op, these days if a person is bad at spelling they automatically say its dylexia, could it be that they're just bad at spelling. If they read slowly, hmm yeah thats definately dyslexia. wtf is this, how come all of a sudden there is such a massive outbreak of this, are there dyslexia spores in our drinking water now? can you catch it like the common cold?
    In my opinion dyslexic people should not be given extra time as it is so unfair especially in subjects like maths where there is barely any reading, if they chose to do an english a level its their own fault they will fail, like a short sighted guy entering a darts competition, would it be fair to halve the distance he had to stand from the dart board?
    If the dyslexic guy did make it through to become a journalist i highly doubt he would be given an extra days to type his story
    It might sound harsh but fair is fair.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone retarded enough to use the excuse that just because they didn't get extra time even tho they had crappy hand writing it means others shouldn't or some ***** along thoses lines needs to grow up. Its exactly like saying that just because cars weren't invented in my day it means others shouldn't have one because they I didn't have one at the time and you need to feel my pain or some ******** like that.

Also being really inteligent does not mean your not dislexic. Only some jealous prick would come up with that conclusion. You have no idea how hard it is. Grow the **** up.

/rant over

EDIT: crazed monkey, you are a TRUE retard. You undergo many tests to diagnose for dislexia, you don't just snap ur fingers and it gets done. Also you don't just automatically get extra time. And your english a level comment just proves that your a jealous dumb retard who probably ended up retaking your A-levels. The whole point of extra time is to give people with disiabilitys the same opportunities as those who dont, just because your retarded enough that you probably don't even know how bad it is with some people and you can't possibly see how much it disadvantages someone, is your own problem. And you also disgust me you stupid peasant, comparing it with some sort of spore, jealous prick.

ReputationRep:
    Though it may be because my test involved Maths as well as English and I think I did well in that section so they may have made sure I didn't get it here. Best to ask someone more clued up though :o: the person who tested you or the Dyslexia area of this Forum.

Thank you anyway . I will find out either way on wednesday! Aha.. I might just go see the exams officer.. she is lovely to me! probably because she knows i am going to pay her a fortune in resits come march!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazedmonkey09)
    I agree with op, these days if a person is bad at spelling they automatically say its dylexia, could it be that they're just bad at spelling. If they read slowly, hmm yeah thats definitely dyslexia. wtf is this, how come all of a sudden there is such a massive outbreak of this, are there dyslexia spores in our drinking water now? can you catch it like the common cold?
    In my opinion dyslexic people should not be given extra time as it is so unfair especially in subjects like maths where there is barely any reading, if they chose to do an english a level its their own fault they will fail, like a short sighted guy entering a darts competition, would it be fair to halve the distance he had to stand from the dart board?
    If the dyslexic guy did make it through to become a journalist i highly doubt he would be given an extra days to type his story
    Rubbish. It's like saying that short-sighted person can't wear contact lenses. Severe dyslexia also effects reading anything, even numbers because the brain may see the numbers the wrong way around.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with op, these days if a person is bad at spelling they automatically say its dylexia, could it be that they're just bad at spelling. If they read slowly, hmm yeah thats definitely dyslexia. wtf is this, how come all of a sudden there is such a massive outbreak of this, are there dyslexia spores in our drinking water now? can you catch it like the common cold?
    1. Dyslexia is not all about READING!

2.Just because they are dyslexic doesnt mean they will fail english a-level :\

ReputationRep:
    I agree with op, these days if a person is bad at spelling they automatically say its dylexia, could it be that they're just bad at spelling. If they read slowly, hmm yeah thats definitely dyslexia.
    This is where you're wrong. I read slowly - not because I am dyslexic; but because I am partially sighted. I am also bad at spelling - again, this is a memory issue unrelated to dyslexia.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish. It's like saying that short-sighted person can't wear contact lenses. Severe dyslexia also effects reading anything, even numbers because the brain may see the numbers the wrong way around.

This.

I am glad there are some open-minded people in this thread!

ReputationRep:
    In the workplace you are not given 'extra time to show your full potential'. If there is a deadline for some work to be finished by, it doesn't change just because some people were eligible for extra time in their school exams. Ultimately, it is doing a disservice to employers, as the grades a candidate may recieve are distorted by the amount of extra time they may have been given. If someone takes longer to do a task, is it not the case that they are less able?

(I say this as a bitter and twisted individual who wished he had been given extra time in exams...could have got that A in history... :rant:)

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.